Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about traveling to Japan in the near future to visit some of the "Battles to Unite Japan" sites. But I just viewed the movie "47Ronin" and am concerned. Are any of those monster animals and witches still around?

On a serious note, the credits said the plot was factious, as written I can see it would be, but is there historical background of the 47 Ronin waiting 2-3 years to kill the "so-n-so" that killed their "master" and then all 47 committing sepicu (sp?)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
You are correct on the "historical background of the 47 Ronin waiting 2-3 years to kill the "so-n-so" that killed their "master" and then all 47 committing sepicu (sp?) "

When I first heard of the movie I had hope that was what the movie covered.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Morning Doss: The last time I was in Japan buying swords, we visited Sengakuji Temple which is near the Shinagawa station. All of the 47 Ronin are buried there along with Count Asano. Adjacent to the cemetary is a small museum which has several displays of Japanese arms/armour. Very easy to find and I would highly recommend...Hemi

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shaphs50, "Hit list," why doeth thou thinkith? I was going to print the Ronin doc. but skimmed down to page 40 something and realized the amount of paper and ink it would take. May still do it. Thanks for the lead. Ronin48

·
Platinum Bullet Member
995 Posts
I forgot to add that you will find several/many/lots of Japanese Teppo matchlocks over there...(if anyone has a interest in that kind of stuff).
The place to see matchlocks is the teppokan gun museum on tanegashima island. If visiting Japan stay a few nights in kagoshima and take the fast ferry to nishinoomote on tanegashima island.
While in kagoshima don't forget to visit the museum of the meiji restoration.

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting about matchlocks in Japan, "several/many/lots," Sugawa in his THE JAPANESE MATCHLOCK notes there are almost no matchlocks to be had in Japan. One more "Open Theme" display at AGCA in B'ham and I'll sell a major portion of the matchlock collection, keeping a few representative pieces and the pistols. I'm still amazed at the way 03Man turned a pistol w/o a lock into a shooter by modifying a repro, too large lock to fit and function. Add Don to the ranks of Boone and Schlickman.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
995 Posts
Doss, there are matchlocks listed for sale every day on the Japanese auctions, and I've seen them for sale in the flea market at Toji Temple in Kyoto. However no one seems to be willing or able to export them. The shop that used to be in central Tokyo has closed and their website has vanished. The matchlocks are registered with the local education department (I don't know the correct term) and change of ownership has to be reported to them, so I'm assuming that any sent out of the country must have export documentation to maintain a paper trail of ownership. In addition the prices in Japan are far higher normally than comparable items in the USA, UK, or Europe.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,774 Posts
What would it entail to import an antique?? Seems like you would not even need an FFL but just fill out a declaration statement which should even not be an issue with the ATF.

I thought about trying to import a 1917 Mauser and was flooded with restrictions making it cost ineffective. I would greatly like to hear comments about this as there are a lot of European auction houses with a lot of nice stuff. Who can speak with experience on this topic????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.