Gunboards Forums banner

Okay, what am I missing on THIS one?

2K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  mauser655 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I dunno, I must be missing it too. I guess it's the determination to get a 1900 dated 91. I have 1899 & 1898 91s in about the same shape. Wonder if I can get $500 a piece for them, too?

#5 ·
Yep... i think we should investigate auction buyers for crack use. :)

#7 ·
I was looking at that one the other day myself. "Balkan Import" - I would guess a complete mix master. Bulgarian marked stock.
Here is another auction by the same seller http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewBidHistory.aspx?Item=162285003
Notice anything similar? - The auction is normal to a point where the normal selling price would be, then two guys duke it out and take it beyond what it should sell for.

#8 ·
I had a pretty bad deal with this seller a few years ago, where he misrepresented the condition of a Gew98. For me, his auctions always raise a big red flag, especially since I've also noticed several of his auctions yielding bidding wars that produce inflated selling prices.

T

#10 ·
I sold that rifle to that guy at the 1500 2 weeks ago and I was wondering how in the world he got that much $ for it. I have been lugging it around for 2 years to various gunshows including NGD and had no takers at $175. A fellow collector said that he thought it might have seen Japan given some of the stock markings but I don't see it. Same story on that SCW that SREisel sold. The guy does tend to gloss over inconvenient facts in his auctions.

#11 ·
The only thing missing here is the slippage from the buying community, too much money w/too little exposure. That gun is worth about 1/3 rd that on a good day. I've had no less than 3 of them, never paid over $200.00 for a scrub and that would have to been mint-SDH

#12 ·
After seeing some of the RIDICULOUS prices some of these rifles are selling for, from now on I'm gonna list anything I sell on GunBroker!! I'll be rich QUICK!

I've had a number of M.91's at the last few shows for $180 and not ONE of them sold! One of them is a Balkan marked 1916 Sestroryetsk...

#14 ·
I don't think Steve would do that. These rifles came in and were selling for about $59 and boy do I wish I bought more of them! That represents a pretty fair profit if you were the original buyer when it came into the country! Bill

#16 ·
What on Earth does "Balkan" mean? That's too non-descript to be used in conjunction with "collection". Is it Romanian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Montenegrin, Greek or Turkish? These countries used the three-line rifle in different periods and acquired them under different circumstances.

For example, Bulgaria bought 50,000 obr. 1891 just before the Balkan War of 1912 and these rifles looked like the one on the picture below. During WWI tens of thousands more obr. 1891 were captured by the Bulgarian troops from the Romanians, Russians and Serbians, but they had the 1910 update.

Attachments

#17 ·
For example, Bulgaria bought 50,000 obr. 1891 just before the Balkan War of 1912 and these rifles looked like the one on the picture below. During WWI tens of thousands more obr. 1891 were captured by the Bulgarian troops from the Romanians, Russians and Serbians, but they had the 1910 update.
And they didn't put a B in a circle on any of them, did they Nick? I didn't realize Bulgaria actually bought M91s. I only knew about the WWI captures. If they bought them in 1912, are you saying the Russians sold them only old stock? They were all pre-1910 style?

#20 ·
Yeah, I've purchased two things from that seller in the past, and he does tend to be a little optimistic in his grading. On the other hand, when one of the items I picked up turned out to have issues, he did give me a couple of options to make it right, so I'm pleased from that perspective. On the other hand, unless its something that I can't find locally (okay, that's EVERYTHING) or from another source, I tend to avoid those auctions.

#24 ·
you are missing the requisite huge disposable income. like most,way too high on a scrubbed gun. this guy is a good seller and puts them out at a starting price and lets the chips fall where they may. lately he has had some real nice stuff that went at insane final prices.

#29 ·
Wow...nice looking rifle but no way. Maybe it was bought as a gift for his new born son?? In 40 or so years it could be worth that I suppose. Man, and you could buy those for $25.00 all day long just a few years ago...(well maybe more than a few). And he is going to pay $32.00 to have it shipped too....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.