Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK,
Not being a Kar guy of any pedigree or style I lay myself before your feet and ask you tell me how I did in buying a RC K-98 this past weekend. I had a choice between a MO marked S/147 that was marked 1937/42 and this one. What do think of my choice.? It purdy yes? :cool:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Nice!

I'd take the shellac/black paint off with acetone soaked 0000 steel wool and tung oil the stock, but that is just my own personal preference.

How is the bore? Any markings/eagles on the stock?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Well Vic the rifle is more modern and will take on quite a bit more pressure than a mosin and there is a lot more ways to go with a 98 action. When I say more ways to go I mean you can make this rifle a money pit with all the stuff that's available. Mostly I like shooting them like they are but I have a few that I've customized to the 9's. Sunfish

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Nothing like throwing out the bait for the sharks-----LMAO

I'll help you out folks--

ask him about "code and condition" before putting a $250 cap on your pricing!

Most K98 "folks" are really not familar with the MO marking----
but just maybe I'll post a picture for the boards for comments...

BAF

·
Diamond member
1,631 Posts
Most K98 "folks" are really not familar with the MO marking----
but just maybe I'll post a picture for the boards for comments...
BAF
Speaking of which, unless the rifle Vic picked is very special my vote would have been for the MO marked rifle. MO marked 98k's are not easy to find. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't the hardest to find of all the different MO marked models.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
I too suspect the MO rifle was the right choice....but due to the lack of provided details on the markings....I am going to wait for the "rest of the story"

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I had a choice and this one spoke to me-what do you think oh wise and sage collectors of eagles with propellers under them?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
512 Posts
I had a choice and this one spoke to me-what do you think oh wise and sage collectors of eagles with propellers under them?
I think buying BOTH of them was the correct solution... :D

You may have just set the market price for bsw RCs.

tim

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:D

Not being a Mauser guy with any pedigree I almost feel dirty..... he he he he

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Ah, wise choice. You're doomed ;)

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Whats your thought Hambone. I respect your opinion.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Vic, if you've got a shot at the S/147 MO marked AND second 42 date, go for that one. From a purely K98k standpoint, the difficulty in finding a BSW overrides an MO marking, which has greater MN appeal. If only one, the MO with added 42 date. Would like more pics of that one. However, if a good price, get them both ;)

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No can do on the MO right now. I passed on that one to take this one and the MO is gone I'm afraid. What do you want pictures of? I'll provide them this week.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
The BSW was a good choice. I was interested in pics of the receiver markings and added 42 date on the S/147.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
From what I've been told MO marked rifles are very rare indeed, common on Nagants, but not on K98s. I have not see too many of them. One I own myself. I've already had an offer of $500 on the one I own. I think I saw another on http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMO.htm. He is very knowledgable on these rifles. I've talked to him before and I believe he told me the one on his website ( I can't find it now but he had one) was the only on he had seen. Including the one on his website and the other rifle someone showed here on the board, that's three I've seen, then four if you count the rifle in BBOTGW book. Dennis from Empire Arms was very knowledgable about these rifles too.
BARQS19

1 - 20 of 37 Posts