Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I think its a Witton ...the trigger guard is not English ,neither is the reinforce at the chamber.......Proof marks ,or lack of should establish place of manufacture.....I dont think proof was required in Germany pre 1892.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think its a Witton ...the trigger guard is not English ,neither is the reinforce at the chamber.......Proof marks ,or lack of should establish place of manufacture.....I dont think proof was required in Germany pre 1892.
I agree. The barrel reinforce, trigger guard,proof marks and the "C" on the lever are all the same features as on my WITTEN. Mine has a lower profile on the front of the action body to facilitate sighting because it is a carbine.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Is Witten the correct spelling?.....Anyhoo ,they are possibly the only true Martinis ,because F von Martini owned a share in the works and was production director for the very few years it operated as an offshoot of the steelworks......When I saw Rooinek ,I assumed South African ,where a lot of Wittens seem to have gone......but then I notice the US flag location.......Its quite amazing how many people you talk to now who have the accent..

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for a most illuminating discussion. I had no idea what a Witten was, one learns something new every day. It looks like the entire production line went either to Romania or South Africa. For the South African exports I am assuming the Boer Republics rather than the Cape Colony? Does anyone have information on their usage?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
The sight collar appears to be a slip-on type that several shooters use, including myself, made from an obsolete front sight band sold once upon a time by Numrich, which allows a taller commercial front sight to zero the rifle at shorter ranges.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.