Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok i found a gun in a closet when i moved into my new house i called the previous owners and they never seen this gun i was just wondering if anyone new what it was i thought it was a Mauser but i don't think it is i believe it is french or Spain made in front of the bolt it says fabrica de armas around a little crown thing

also does anyone no the general price range for it(i no its not much but i was just wondering)

·
Moderator & Gaseous Substance Inspector
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
The photos aren:t cear, but it looks like a typical Spanish Mauser that's been crudely sporterized. I'm guessing it's a 98 action. If it cleans up well, it may make a good shooter. Be safe, and have fun.
Mauserguy

·
Registered
328 Posts
So you moved into a house and found a rifle in a closet, and the people that lived there before you never noticed it?

You know how many times I hope to find a rifle stashed inside a wall or in the attic everytime I go to remodeling a part of my house!!??

Maybe you want to follow up on the rifle, was it stashed in the closet or just sitting in plain sight?

-B

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
It appears to be an old sporterized 1893 Spanish Mauser, in caliber 7x57mm Mauser. They were very, very common and inexpensive rifles at one time, sold at places like Montgomery Wards and Sears back in the 1960s, after being crudely modified as yours has been, by having the stock chopped back.

It's quite likely that whoever lived in your house bought it long ago and forgot about it, or simply didn't care because it was so inexpensive, and the last resident of your house never noticed it.

For $30 in parts, you can restore it quite easily to military trim, and while it won't be particularly valuable, it'll be a nice firearm to have, in a very good caliber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts