Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I freely admit we have forces in the middle east to keep the place from boiling over. A barrel of oil is hitting $84.92 and could go much higher as time rolls by. Just a little while ago I was shocked when it went over $70.

Pulling out of the middle east is a nice idea, but in real life if we do, oil can go well over $100 and higher, This country, our jobs, our infastructure, all depend on cheap oil.

Ron Paul may have principles, but real life trumps principles every time. That is the problem. (besides a worthless congress).

I hate riding bikes in the rain...............

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
70,023 Posts
Do you melt when you ride in the rain ??

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Oil went up significantly when we went into the region. Oil went up to $84 when Turkey announced it might invade Northern Iraq.

That and the myth of peak oil continue to perpetuate prices higher.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish I'd melt, a few pounds a least.

Opps, I blinked, it's at $86 now. Maybe I can put a weedwacker engine in my old Sprite and eek out a few more MPG.......

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,706 Posts
Well the liberals will be happy - oh, no, wait - when people burn lots of oil because it's cheap, the libs are furious, but when it gets expensive enough to get people to actually think about how much they're using, libs get even more furious - the whole "big oil profiteering" thing.

·
70,023 Posts
I wish I'd melt, a few pounds a least.

Opps, I blinked, it's at $86 now. Maybe I can put a weedwacker engine in my old Sprite and eek out a few more MPG.......

I could afford to lose a few also but no danger of it occuring because of rain. We are only 14 inches of rain behind since 01 March.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
It's not just wars and rumors of wars....

It's not just wars and rumors of wars....

In 2000, when Bush took office, gold was $273 per ounce, oil was $22 per barrel and the euro was worth $.87 per dollar. Currently, gold is over $700 per ounce, oil is over $80 per barrel, and the euro is worth $1.40. Soon Canadian tourists will be able to ask, "How much is that in real money?"

And if Ben "helicopter money" Bernanke cuts rates, we’re likely to see oil at $125 per barrel by spring...

If your wages don't automatically go up with inflation, this is the equivalent of a pay cut. :mad:

·
70,023 Posts
My Swiss 20 francs are increasing in value. Never thought they would.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Dollar is down and Euro, oil and chinese toilet paper up (if its exchange rate wasn't fixed by the chicoms) because the US interest rate cut is taking hold, loan rates to consumers are falling, along with bond and savings interest.

Europeans are worried about an economic contraction as the Euro is overvalued by about 26% and the Chinese external currency*, (the Charmin) is overvalued by 50% (the internal currency is the Cottonelle) and the Jap Yen is overvalued too, but I forget by how much.

It's the free market and central banking at work, folks. Money scurries around to find the highest rate of return, oil companies and speculators have raised the cost of oil until the sellers = buyers, and the German central bank worries mostly about the 1923 hyperinflation, its officers fearing the public will skin them and turn them into lampshades if they let any inflation at all occur.

Of course Mahatma Ron Paul, when he gains absolute power, will blame Bush for everything, and return us to the Gold and Silver standard(s)*, with an immediate massive deflation, a depression that'll make the Great Depression look like a wet squib, breadlines, poverty.

Things will straighten out thereafter as the economy recovers in the normal state of affairs, but without the hideous private central bank of the Federal Reserve, which Paul has promised to abolish. Then even more hideous private commodity speculators and traders will control the cost of money, gold and silver, running the prices up and down in attempts to make a buck, giving the business journalists lots to write about, and giving us all a nice 19th century economic roller coaster ride. Once in a while someone like Jay Gould and Jim Fisk trying to corner the gold market, or like the Hunt Brothers, trying to corner the silver market** - will provide a refreshing instant recession/depression.

* the USA never did figure out Bimetalism, with gold and silver supposedly both having a fixed value in US coinage and paper currency but varying independently depending on the supply and the speculators. An entire presidential campaign was run on this single issue, with Gold winning over Silver.

** Fortunately silver was demonetized by then and it didn't effect the economies of anyone except people like me who are in the habit of buying high and selling low.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't feel bad, I bought 20 ounces of gold coins at $184 (way back) and sold at $375, figured that was a high as it ever was going to go and I was the smartest guy around. Live and learn.

I can see oil going to $100 within the next year, easily. $86 today.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,668 Posts
JJK308 said "Of course Mahatma Ron Paul, when he gains absolute power, will blame Bush for everything, and return us to the Gold and Silver standard(s)*, with an immediate massive deflation, a depression that'll make the Great Depression look like a wet squib, breadlines, poverty" and I ask in return "will it be free silver at 16 to 1?"

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
You come to us and tell us that the great cities are in favor of the gold standard; we reply that the great cities rest upon our broad and fertile prairies. Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up again as if by magic; but destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the streets of every city in the country.

My friends, we declare that this nation is able to legislate for its own people on every question, without waiting for the aid or consent of any other nation on earth; and upon that issue we expect to carry every state in the Union. I shall not slander the inhabitants of the fair state of Massachusetts nor the inhabitants of the state of New York by saying that, when they are confronted with the proposition, they will declare that this nation is not able to attend to its own business. It is the issue of 1776 over again. Our ancestors, when but three million in number, had the courage to declare their political independence of every other nation; shall we, their descendants, when we have grown to seventy millions, declare that we are less independent than our forefathers?

No, my friends, that will never be the verdict of our people. Therefore, we care not upon what lines the battle is fought. If they say bimetallism is good, but that we cannot have it until other nations help us, we reply, that instead of having a gold standard because England has, we will restore bimetallism, and then let England have bimetallism because the United States has it. If they dare to come out in the open field and defend the gold standard as a good thing, we will fight them to the uttermost. Having behind us the producing masses of this nation and the world, supported by the commercial interests, the laboring interests and the toilers everywhere, we will answer their demand for a gold standard by saying to them: You shall not press down upon the brow of labor this crown of thorns, you shall not crucify mankind upon a cross of gold.

William Jennings Bryan
Democratic National Convention, 1896

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,668 Posts
Ah yes. Well, "We'll have William Jennings Bryan stoking coal on Number Nine/Of everybody gave then we could save the Old Blue Water Line" - A better and higher use for the "Silver-tongued orator from the Valley of the Platt" than making him a presidential candidate. I ask again - "will it be fee silver at 16 to 1?"

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
Free Silver - 16 to 1.

Mainly because I've got a bunch of silver coins in my collection but no gold!

Oh, yeah.

FREE HAT!

·
70,023 Posts
How about free ammo??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts