Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of prices are you guys seeing at gun shows for milsurp ? I'm in the central OH area and there's a show coming up in Dayton and then Columbus next month. I am looking for the Hungarian 70's green tin silver tip. I bought 7 tins from AIM 2 months ago for $45 each. I knew I should've bought more....

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
59,882 Posts
Have not been to a gun show recently. but I would think that if it is hard for an individual to get ammo from the online sellers, then those selling at the gun shows will also have problems. All of which means that the price may be high.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you want the deals if there are any to be had get there before they open the first day. After that you wont get any good deals, or barely see any surplus at all. It sucks, I know.

·
59,882 Posts
With a lot of shows, it is difficult to get in during setup. So it is hard to do anything before the first day.

But considering the current availability and cost of ammo, I doubt if you are going to find any deals since it is difficult to replace the ammo. Now if they know you, then it is possible.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What I meant is get there a couple minutes before it opens so you can have first pick on anything in the show. I didnt think it was that hard to figure out.

·
Registered
712 Posts
At the most recent show up here in the NW, the only 7.62x54r was Hungarian LB, 500 rounds for $100. They had taken all of it out of the tins and there was no price break. This same vendor was selling sealed tins of this for about $65 6 months ago, and the larger Czech silvertip tins for the same price some time before that.

And to think that stuff like the Polish used to be $35 or so a tin. Something strange is up, and it cannot just be metal prices or shipping costs. This is an extremely common caliber, and it has tripled in price in less than two years. Millions upon millions of rounds of 7.62x54r are sitting in Europe, waiting for us to buy them, but yet the price goes up and up and up and up, when you can find it, that is. My spidey-sense tells me some unseen hand is manipulating the market.

But, sucker that I am, I pay the 20+ cents per round of decades old corrosive commie surplus just the same.

·
59,882 Posts
What I meant is get there a couple minutes before it opens so you can have first pick on anything in the show. I didnt think it was that hard to figure out.
That is not what you said.

·
59,882 Posts
At the most recent show up here in the NW, the only 7.62x54r was Hungarian LB, 500 rounds for $100. They had taken all of it out of the tins and there was no price break. This same vendor was selling sealed tins of this for about $65 6 months ago, and the larger Czech silvertip tins for the same price some time before that.

And to think that stuff like the Polish used to be $35 or so a tin. Something strange is up, and it cannot just be metal prices or shipping costs. This is an extremely common caliber, and it has tripled in price in less than two years. Millions upon millions of rounds of 7.62x54r are sitting in Europe, waiting for us to buy them, but yet the price goes up and up and up and up, when you can find it, that is. My spidey-sense tells me some unseen hand is manipulating the market.

But, sucker that I am, I pay the 20+ cents per round of decades old corrosive commie surplus just the same.

1-1/2 years ago, the wholesale price for Winchecter primers was $11.50 a box. Now it is $19.25.

1-1/2 years ago, the wholesale price for Winchester 9mm white box was $4.85. now it is $8.69.

It does seem hard to believe that all of the increases are due to the metals market although it could be one of the factors.

In the case of the new ammo, the Iraq war could also be a factor, with manufacturing capacity being switched to provide the military. As to imports, (for example) I doubt if there are many in Iraq using 7.62x54r. So it does seem that there are factors ivolved of which we are unaware.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
prices rising

If it were metals and shipping, or the euro, wouldn't imported cars cost three times what they did three years ago? They don't. I think it is the sucka factor. As in "pay it, sucka".

·
Registered
193 Posts
That is not what you said.
Yes it is:

"If you want the deals if there are any to be had get there before they open the first day. After that you wont get any good deals, or barely see any surplus at all. It sucks, I know."

.."get there before they open the first day"... meaning not before the first day, but before the show opens on the first day.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I went to Indy 1500 and to a smaller gun show in Indiana and the prices were not that bad. The 54r was going for 15c, the 8mm was going for 20c per round.
Since I got plenty from both calibers, I stocked up Wolf 5.45 at $150/K and 9mm CCI BLAZER @ $129/K

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was buying 223 today at Walmart and we were taking about ammo prices and they guy behind the counter made an interesting point. He told me his lead fishing sinkers had trippled in price in the last month. It sounds like a metal thing to me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts