Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't think I'd ever find one in print but I finally found a dealer on an auction site making this reckless statement:

Seller's Description:
Up for auction is this very nice Bulgarian Makarov. It comes with just the gun and 1 mag as shown. THese are drying up quick. Great little shooters. Chambered in the powerful 9x18 Mak round, but 380 works in them also.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Doesn't surprise me at all. I guess they figure if they'll fit in the mag then they must shoot ok.

·
Gold Bullet member
550 Posts
I saw that too ! Pretty stupid to put that in writing !!!!!

regards....roger

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd like to see a video of him firing a .380 round from this pistol to Youtube. You know, just to prove that it works.

I didn't think I'd ever find one in print but I finally found a dealer on an auction site making this reckless statement:

Seller's Description:
Up for auction is this very nice Bulgarian Makarov. It comes with just the gun and 1 mag as shown. THese are drying up quick. Great little shooters. Chambered in the powerful 9x18 Mak round, but 380 works in them also.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'd like to see a video of him firing a .380 round from this pistol to Youtube. You know, just to prove that it works.
When the error was pointed out to the seller, the response was:
"We have had this discussion with you many times. We have shot many 380 thru MAks with out any problem. You can have your opinion even if it is wrong but do not post on our auctions with you opinions. Any more contact about this and we will report you to Auction Arms as an annoying person. There is nothing wrong with shooting 380 thru a mak as a 380 is slightly smaller in diamteter and 1 mm sorter."

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I called the local gun store here in Indy and asked if I read the ad right when it said it would handle a 9X18 or the .380, and he said "Yes, I do it all the time as well as lots of others." I told him I popped in there from time to time looking for Makarov's, and I thanked him for the clarification on the ad. I said I wouldn't buy a Mak from his store now that I know he runs .380 ammo through his Maks. He thanked me and that was the end of our conversation.
If that were so, why buy a .380 Mak? Just shoot any caliber you want through your 9X18. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,319 Posts
The Auction Arms listing is from a seller in Indiana, Timbo. Sounds like it could be your guy.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You can also fire 20 ga shells in a 12 ga. Just keep gun pointed up and joggle it a bit!

HehHeh NO....I haven't tried it, but know it is so. A friend of my cousin's brother in law's girlfriend's boss told me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Looks like Horsesense has lots of relatives out there. There seems to be no way to convert these idiots. Same guys used to use "drip gas" in their cars and say it was okay.

Drip gas is condensate that forms in natural gas pipelines. It causes preignition like you can't believe and burns holes in pistons and valves. But it runs, and it was free if you didn't get caught borrowing it from the "traps" where it accumulates.

Same mentality running a .355 bullet through a bore designed (depending on who you read) for a bullet in the .364 area. Not to mention that headspace is achieved with a 17mm case by the case hanging on the extractor.

Dennis Kroh of Empire Arms told me of a GI in Viet Nam who lost a thumb shooting .380 in a captured 9x18. If the loose fitting brass should rupture, a jet of flame could cut off stuff that won't grow back.

I would shoot .380 in a 9x18 gun only to save a life.

It would seem that Auction Arms ought to have a policy against misrepresentation of products. I can see them getting sued over something like this. CB

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called the seller after I saw the ad to offer some friendly advice since I knew him from having done business with him before. I was saddened by his reply because I think he's a nice guy and he could get sued for his stubbornness.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How about this... send him a letter by registered mail that says: Shooting .380 ACP ammo through a 9x18 Makarov pistol can severely endanger the safety of the shooter. Since you have been verifiably notified of this, you will certainly be held legally liable for any injury caused to buyers of your pistol who take your advice that doing this is safe. Proceed at your own peril.

That'll rattle the teeth of any business owner.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just an observation.

I looked at the auctionarms website and found the referenced ad. I'd like to make a couple of points.

1. No one has bid on that advertisement. The pistol isn't selling at the price he's offering. No matter how many blandishments he makes about the pistol...no one is buying.
2. As a registered member of this forum, it may be vanity to think this, but I'd bet that 98% of the customers IN THE COUNTRY who buy Makarovs, come to this board. At the very least, it certainly doesn't seem farfetched to say that the top 50 collectors of Makarovs in the United States (you know you are!) are probably registered here.
3. By taking the course of action he has, the seller is leaving a bad taste in the mouth of 98% of the people who would actually order his--what looks in the grainy photographs to be marginal--Bulgarian Makarov. By announcing TO THE WORLD that he engages in practices that diminish the quality of the barrels in his guns, he's doing nothing but letting the very customers who would buy his gun BECAUSE its a 9x18 know that the gun has potentially been damaged.
4. People who can look on auction arms to buy a Makarov can also take the extra 2 minutes to do an internet search on Makarovs in general. They'll know within seconds everything there is to know about the gun. This isn't like the old days where the customer walks in the pawnshop, you spin a story about how the gun was carried by Stalin, or Princess Anastasia and sell it to them. He might get away with telling everyone that its safe to shoot .380 who walks in his store...but he's trying to sell it on the Internet. That's a whole different animal. He's not helping to sell the gun by misrepresenting it.
5. So now he's misrepresented the firearm...possibly in an illegal and irresponsible fashion. No one has mentioned calling the BATF...yet. But maybe somebody ought to. Let them handle this guy. That's their job...and I'm sure they'd be glad to explain a few things to him.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Normally I would never consider that action, but I worry about the safety of some new gun owner who doesn't know any better, and could injure himself due to this man's reckless, defiant attitude. It's totally unacceptable. It would be a tragedy to see somebody lose his hand because of this arrogance.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Looks like a debate

The Auction Arms page now is showing someone (?) supporting the seller's side -- disputing the makarov.com opinion.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
I don't think there is much to be gained by hounding the guy. He's clearly rejected the help that was offered, so why bother him? He's either too stubborn or too proud to accept the help.

The one who agrees with him, cityjerk, has several feedbacks from the seller. I thought him a shill bidder until I saw a neutral feedback, also from the seller. Bottom line, looney guys attract each other.

The seller used to be a gunboards.com sponsor several years ago, IIRC his user name here is/was russo-jap.

SlimTim

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I've actually shot .380 from my Mak, just as an experiment.
I know, you all think I'm evil now...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts