Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my 1941 Russian SVT40 up for trade, I was looking to get into a high end AR15 and valued my gun at $1200. I was offered this Browning HiPower as a straight trade. But I am unsure if the pistol is worth more or less than my SVT. What do you guys think? Would you trade?

What can you guys tell me about it? The bore is very good in the pistol.

·
Platinum Bullet member
2,099 Posts
Your photo shows what looks to be a pre WW2 FN High Power with a reproduction John Inglis No1 Mk1 High Power shoulder stock holster. According to the BATF C&R list such a combination isn't legal. To be legal as a C&R you would have to have an original FN made shoulder stock which was a flat wood shoulder stock with a leather holster riveted to it. As it is now to be legal it would have to be registered as a Short Barreled Rifle whish requires doing the correct forms and paying the $200 tax stamp. Some people claim that BATF has issued letters saying that repro stocks are acceptable but unless you get a letter directly from their technical branch I wouldn't put much credence in that advice and risk violating their regulations.

I would recommend that you place a value the High Power on it's own by checking completed auction for pre WW2 HP's. Those reproduction Inglis HP stocks were selling on eBay a few years ago for around $200 - $250.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
71,326 Posts
NsvyGunner is correct about attaching the Inglis stock. It as my first thought when I saw the pictures.

It is possible that it is an original Inglis stock. Can't tell from the pictures. So hard to place a value.

The Hi Power, based on the pictures, is a early pre war commercial one (No military makings observed.) The exterior condition is far from good. Considering the condition, I do not think it is rare enough to be a collector's piece.

So you need to check for values.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
check reviews of the SIG ARs . Last i heard they are pretty sketchy. Of course that was a while back and they might be fine now. Just check the reviews for the model you are interested to be safe.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
About a year ago I got a midwar(?) nazi marked hi-power, not import marked, with a similar level of finish wear on it for $850 if I remember correctly. What I know about SVT's is that they're more than $850.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
I think you'll enjoy the AR more, it may not be 1200 dollars worth but another nut job incident could change that overnite. The hi power just looked to rough to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To be legal, an Original holster/stock accompanying a slotted HP pistol qualifies as legal under ATF rules as I understand the law. A repo'd holster stock will make it Illegal, But not an original.......flat or otherwise..
DJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts