·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
logansdad
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

1693 Posts
Posted - 09/12/2003 : 9:51:08 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently acquired a LNIB (condition wise) Arsenal Bulgarian Makarov in 9x18. It came with the wrong grips (the Bulgie thumbrest import grips so prevalent on military Bulgies at the moment) and the hammer and safety are plum-colored, not matte finish like the slide/frame. What are the chances that the gun came with these plum parts as OEM? The gun apparently has been shot very little, as evidenced by the lack of wear on the gun. But the plum parts have got me baffled. Ideas?

TENNESSEEAN

USA
1162 Posts
Posted - 09/13/2003 : 12:17:44 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd say that most of them are that way, the last one I picked up has the plum color hammer and safety.

TN
Appalachain American

greywolf
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
285 Posts
Posted - 09/13/2003 : 12:57:50 AM

I sent a Bulgarian to a first class ginsmith to refinish and reblue and he did a great job but, the hammer and safety still came back plum a real deep new looking plum. He explained that the parts were heat treated differently and that is the cause.

Gary

Have Michigan CPL

I have a C&R License and am collecting Makarovs

arcom the first

Congo, Democratic Republic of
1360 Posts
Posted - 09/13/2003 : 07:22:00 AM

I would guess the chances they came as original are pretty good. I would also guess the chances the parts are military and not commercial in origin are also pretty good. Afterall, military and commercial pistols came from the same factory, share 95%-100% of the same parts with the only difference being the finish and maybe a trigger guard. Perhaps they just ran out of commercially finished hammers and safeties and dipped into the military box for the pieces?

Posted by the original "arcom" who continues to support Century Arms in spite of the hair and who follows that age-old adage: "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."

logansdad

1693 Posts
Posted - 09/13/2003 : 08:02:32 AM

That's what I was thinking. The gun looked too new for anyone to have changed out these parts for any reason other than aesthetics. Will try to get a pic up on the board when I get back from Switzerland.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts