Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a PSL and there isn't a pressure pin in the flashider/FSB, but a shelf in the front that the brake is pinned on through? It looks like I drive the pin and she comes off? Any cool add-ons like an M14 Birdcage that'll fit. OBV not that exactly, so don't call me dumb...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I'm still trying to discern why everyone is so quick to want to remove the factory one, since so few people use it across a rucksack in the dirt and grass, anyway. From what I see, I'm the only that ever lays it down and blows the dirt up. Every other PSL shooter I've seen shoots from the bench, all the time...oh, and only a few of us use 1pn34's, so it's really not an issue. I'd think, anyway. I like the looks of the stock brake. Just my thoughts, as always...

·
Diamond Member with Oak leaves and Swords
2,948 Posts
Mine is pinned. I prefer stock stuff (except for wood). I prefer to shoot prone or seated slung to bench shooting. I use the bench for zero and the rest is up to me. real world shooting.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,039 Posts
I'm still trying to discern why everyone is so quick to want to remove the factory one, since so few people use it across a rucksack in the dirt and grass, anyway. From what I see, I'm the only that ever lays it down and blows the dirt up. Every other PSL shooter I've seen shoots from the bench, all the time...oh, and only a few of us use 1pn34's, so it's really not an issue. I'd think, anyway.
I demand an apology! To insinuate that I shoot from a bench! For shame!

Keith (Did my righteous indignation come off sounding pretty good? :rolleyes: Heh heh)

Edit: I've kept mine stock as well, it works pretty good. There's another device out there, I think Tantal's still got them if he's still shipping stuff out, that folks use because it decreases the flash from the stock brake that shuts down the 1pn34.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just like the birdcage M14 style, as this one seems to not be numbered klike the other's, but you guys got me. I really don't need to waste time and money on another project that will sit disassembled for 6 months...

Actually, the money you all save me from myself has to be a lot. I do like the looks of the factory brake as well.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Righteous indignation or not (hehe) I stated what I've seen and heard described to me. The only issues about the stock brake is what I stated, dust kick-up from prone position (which gives away the Sniper's position) is not an issue for people not in a combat situation, and it shutting off the 1pn34 momentarily. As installing a different brake seems to have caused more issues than it has corrected, I don't see why everyone wants to do it.

I've been on here long enough to have had my post count reset twice from the original, and have noticed a few things:

1) the more an AK or PSL is dicked with, the more issues seem to creep up that we spent months discussing, and about that length of time for the owner to correct the issue.

2) the older "stockers" seem to have the least amount of issues, overall.

It all goes back to the original saying, "If it aint broke, don't fix it!"

Catch my drift? ;)

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Military rifle brakes often combine the function of flash hider with brake and recoil reduction yielding poor performance for either.
The PSL seems to come in a 50/50 mix of styles. Many are threaded with a spot weld on the bottom. An equal number are press on/pinned with no threads on the barrel.
Close inspection of the exit hole on the brake may often reveal rather coarse machining and rough surface which can deteriorate accuracy.
Mounting may not be true to the bore, also very detrimental. They often need to be reamed true to the bore with a reamer with a bore pilot.
The crown on the barrel may have rough gobs of anodizing or fouling where it meets the brake, again an accuracy issue.
As it won't come off, there is no way to clean the crown or the inside of the brake where fouling can accumulate. Vent slots are subject to fouling and difficult to clean.

In the Com-Bloc world of milsurps, 14x1 LH thread is very common for brakes of any style and the OD of the barrel 15mm or thereabouts.
There are many AK accessory brakes in that thread but most all of them are junk that appear designed for "tacti-cool" looks rather than functional purpose of reducing recoil and controlling muzzle climb (flip).

Brakes with small holes/fins will clog with fouling.
All of the better high end design brakes are expensive and none offer 14x1 LH threads. They will not thread their brakes in 14x1 despite a huge potential market. (I have inquired)

An AK muzzle threading kit (do-it-yourself at home job) with a bore guide (TAT) is relatively inexpensive and there are several on the market.
A 14x1 LH tap is harder to find but there are a few if you hunt for them. A .350 reamer (correct exit hole diameter for 7.62) with bore guide isn't all that cheap and any brake should be reamed true to the bore as the bore could be slightly off center.
Add all of this together, threading kit, tap, reamer and then add the cost of a good custom brake and the project starts to get expensive!

Studying various high end brake designs, I have yet to see one specifically "tuned" to .30 cal (7.62) to reduce recoil while counteracting muzzle flip (inertial effect of bullet spin down the tube which throws the barrel up and left).
My long search for "the" right brake for 7.62x54R has left me wanting as none so far have fit the bill in all areas of concern.
"The" right brake for 7.62x54R would make the investment worthwhile as it would apply to a wide range of rifles in this caliber or anything 7.62 from AK to Mosin. With the millions in use, you would think someone would make a decent brake aimed at this market but there appears to be no interest.

I have a strong itch to knock the pinned brake off my PSL, take off the front sight base and trim it back just a bit, crown w/ 11 degree target crown, thread it 14x1 LH and add a good brake ... when and if I ever find one. "The" right brake would encourage me to do the same with several other rifles.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well if you want something like a M-14 style flash hider you could get an SVD style one:

But then again, it doesn't change groupings. And if you get one that doesn't lock properly it could drop your accuracy. Recoil seems a little harder with this brake though, bearly noticable change.

Also, my spotter found that this one threw less crap in his face. I havent tested that for sure yet. And for me it reduces flash better, as I couldn't use a night sight with the stock brake, may have just been the ammo.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine is stock as well. Only thing I changed on my PSL is the furniture color, Harris bipod, and 8x POSP from Kalinka. Mine is a shooter so it stays put as is.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Mine is stock as well. Only thing I changed on my PSL is the furniture color, Harris bipod, and 8x POSP from Kalinka. Mine is a shooter so it stays put as is.
I'm beginning to see a pattern, are ya'all? Stock with an 8x42D seems to be the ticket for those of us that are satisfied with our PSL's...maybe everyone that's not happy should try that route?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Nothing wrong with the stock mb set up. With that said I use a NDS fh for night shooting. That's my.02

·
Registered
91 Posts
Stock is way to go on this rifle...Mine is a shooter. 9/10 from 400 yrds. The target is a gong 4 feet wide. So 8x is good. Wish I had 24x but that is when I start an M700 build. My PSL with 8x can hang at 100yrds with "precision rifles".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.