Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Odd T-99 Kokura w/o Serial Number

Topic:
Topic author: seinen
Subject: Odd T-99 Kokura w/o Serial Number
Posted on: 08/14/2007 9:25:04 PM
As promised, here are some photos of a reject(?) Kokura receiver and barrel mounted in a nice early stock. The barrel and receiver are in the white.

The barrel has a circled "ni" stamped on the underside. On most T-99 concentric circle rifles, this marking is usually present somewhere on the metal.
View attachment 13037
Download Attachment:
194.48 KB

The receiver has a long crack beginning at the barrel junction and extending rearwards almost two inches.
View attachment 13038
Download Attachment:
238.49 KB

Note the large metal spur that was never machined away from the right-hand side of the receiver forward the clip guide.
View attachment 13039
Download Attachment:
224.98 KB

The stock adapts an early three-screw front band, however, the front screw hole is filled with a blob weld. A long rod is present which is retained in an early spring-loaded rod release.
View attachment 13040
Download Attachment:
192.57 KB

The left-hand side of the receiver has no serial number, only the Kokura Arsenal symbol. A full, untouched mum is present on the receiver top.
View attachment 13042
Download Attachment:
213.6 KB

The bolt is unserialized as well. The safety knob is a late-war, blob welded variant.
View attachment 13043
Download Attachment:
180.86 KB

Everything about this rifle indicates a very late war assembly with reject parts. I'm most interested to hear everyone's thoughts about the circled "ni" on the barrel.

C/

Replies:

Reply author: Jareth
Replied on: 08/14/2007 9:33:41 PM
Chip, I have a similar example with just Kokura mark no series or serial number & barrel/receiver in the white. I've never taken it apart. My example never had front sight installed, doesn't have provision for cleaning rod. Need to take another look as I can't recall rear sight!?

Reply author: 03man
Replied on: 08/14/2007 9:41:15 PM
That is one nice, ugly rifle. Thanks for the picts.

I would think you have it pegged, late assembly of previously rejected parts.

Only one question, on the crack, 2 inches? that would be through the receiver ring, looks more like 3/4", or is it just the picture?

Reply author: seinen
Replied on: 08/14/2007 9:43:31 PM

Jareth,

This one has an early front sight welded crudely to the barrel. Also looks to have a retaining crosspin. The rear sight on mine is a non-anti-aircraft wings type.

If your curiosity ever gets to you, I'd love to hear if yours also has a circled "ni" on the barrel.

C/

Replied on: 08/14/2007 9:45:37 PM

I would think you have it pegged, late assembly of previously rejected parts.

Only one question, on the crack, 2 inches? that would be through the receiver ring, looks more like 1" maybe a little more, or is it just the picture?

Replied on: 08/14/2007 9:47:16 PM

quote: Originally posted by 03man

Only one question, on the crack, 2 inches? that would be through the receiver ring, looks more like 3/4", or is it just the picture?

Don,

It's the photo. The crack tends to fade a lot as it extends rearward. At the terminus, it can barely be seen at all. The crack may have formed when the barrel was screwed into a badly manufactured receiver. The fact that the receiver was never machined properly or completely may be testimony to that.

C/

Replied on: 08/14/2007 9:49:23 PM
quite likely the assembly, or maybe it even cracked years later from the stress.

Great rifle, gee! I wish they could talk.

Reply author: Bushido101
Replied on: 08/14/2007 9:56:17 PM
That is a very interesting rifle for sure, I can't say that I ever saw one exactly like it before. That is great and very find.

Reply author: fredh
Replied on: 08/15/2007 09:02:31 AM
Chip, in photo number 2 there appears barrel separation in front of the receiver, or is that an illusion? Can you provide a photo of the same area (bbl interface with receiver) on opposite side?

Replied on: 08/15/2007 11:47:42 AM

quote: Originally posted by fredh

Chip, in photo number 2 there appears barrel separation in front of the receiver, or is that an illusion? Can you provide a photo of the same area (bbl interface with receiver) on opposite side?

Fred,

I'm sure it's an illusion, but will try to post a good photo later tonite to be sure.

C/

Reply author: Quigley
Replied on: 08/15/2007 4:51:54 PM
Have you an X-ray of the receiver?
I would be interested in the internal pattern of the crack.
Q

Replied on: 08/15/2007 5:21:21 PM

quote: Originally posted by Quigley

Chip,
Have you an X-ray of the receiver?
I would be interested in the internal pattern of the crack.
Q

Martin,

While I'm not certain, I think the x-ray department at our local hospital would probably take a dim view of me waltzing into their facilities with such a request.
Seriously, I never considered doing an x-ray analysis. How would one go about such a thing and how much would it cost?

C/

Reply author: Gregg
Replied on: 08/15/2007 5:48:56 PM
Also, try the Vet's office.
I bet the reveiver was never correctly heat treated.

Reply author: fredh
Replied on: 08/15/2007 5:55:48 PM
Chip, you might consider asking your dentist if his machine will handle that. You could put the bbld receiver in a fly rod tube or graphite rod tube to carry into a building. Just tell the curious you and your dentist are going fishing. Oh, well, the times we live in.

Gunboards : http://old.gunboards.com/

© 2000-2006 Gunboards

1 - 1 of 1 Posts