Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a local auction recently and one of the lots included a crate of 440 rounds of 6.5 Carcano. It was all sorted in oddly labeled boxes. Has anyone seen these before, or have any information on them? It ended up selling for $350. I would have bid on it, but I had already won a couple of other items. Let me know what ya’ll think.
Wood Cosmetics Font Office supplies Plant

Brown Font Gas Metal Fashion accessory

Wood Rectangle Font Hardwood Box

Hand Cosmetics Human body Wood Gun accessory

Typewriter Office equipment Drink Space bar Metal

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Looks like dirty old surplus that has been tumbled a bit. Not sure if the Govt label boxes are legit…but I’d be selling it as “US test ammo from the Kennedy-Oswald investigation”.
Even though he used W-W manufacture ammunition.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like dirty old surplus that has been tumbled a bit. Not sure if the Govt label boxes are legit…but I’d be selling it as “US test ammo from the Kennedy-Oswald investigation”.
Even though he used W-W manufacture ammunition.
That was my first thought! although very optimistic, it would still be pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
+1 powder flakes break up and increase burn rate.....

Looks like it was some grundgy ammo previously and was tumbled enough to keep some patina

Repacked into an original crate from POF 30/06 ammo on Enblocs....

·
Registered
179 Posts
The "tumbling ammo will turn it into a bomb" claim has been floating around for years.............. Never seen any proof of it actually happening, have seen several reports from people who tested the concept without result. I have personally tumbled quite a bit of old grungy ammo without issue and have pulled some of it down for examination. Never found any evidence of powder breaking down in any I looked at. Smokeless powder grains are pretty durable and likely to get exposed to a lot of rough treatment in transport, especially in military use.

Powder is more likely to suffer a chemical breakdown from simply aging badly ( or being poorly processed to start with, i.e. the powder used in WWII German steel case 8mm ) or from contamination from something getting into a poorly sealed case than from being tumbled to clean the brass from what I've seen. I have encountered issues with chemically cleaned ammo (some lots of ammo that came out of Israel a few years ago for example) some having dead primers and clumped, wet powder. In addition some appeared to have copper leached out of the case (making the brass appear to be copper plated) and seemed prone to case splits.

·
Administrator
9,590 Posts
Carcano ammo is loaded with Solenite, a "Cordite ' like" large grain ( Macaroni) powder.
Not affected by tumbling.
Powders deteriorate because of moisture (clumping)
Nitric decay ( steel case internal rust) and in Double base powders, Nitroglycerin Weeping ( esp. Chopped Cordite pistol powder).

Doc AV

·
Registered
112 Posts
While all this may or may not be technically true..I am too ignorant to know one way or another the fine details but I can tell you, I have never shot tumbled live rounds and never will.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,653 Posts
Carcano ammo is loaded with Solenite, a "Cordite ' like" large grain ( Macaroni) powder.
Not affected by tumbling.
Powders deteriorate because of moisture (clumping)
Nitric decay ( steel case internal rust) and in Double base powders, Nitroglycerin Weeping ( esp. Chopped Cordite pistol powder).

Doc AV
Solenite is composed of trinitrocellulose (40%), dinitrocellulose (21%), nitroglycerine (36%) and mineral oil (3%), and shaped in 'light red' large tube-like grains which was loaded inside the cartridge case with 35.2 gains (2,28 grams). This powder was developed by Reale Polverificio del Liri to reduce the flame temperatures to 2,600 °C as the original Ballistite burned too fast (flame temperature of 3,000-3,500 °C) and eroded the barrels too fast.

Cordite MD (modified) was composed of 65% guncotton, 30% nitroglycerine and 5% petroleum jelly ... I am sure DocAV will know exactly what the components ratio are.

Patrick

Reactions: desi23

·
Copper Bullet member
761 Posts
The tumbling of live ammo issue has been hashed and rehashed ad infinitum on every gun forum I've seen. People have been arguing about it for decades. I've even seen people go full scientist, tumbling various types of ammo for days on end, with untumbled control ammo, checking the gunpowder under a microscope, then shooting for accuracy and velocity, etc..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts