Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 5 line with a stock that has screwed in escutcheons in the rear and the war time, bent over "half" type in the front. Has anyone ever seen this before?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Somewhat uncommon but not unheard of. I've had four or five of them. Some were just the reverse of yours, with the liner in the rear and the escutcheon in the front.

My theory is that these were "work in process" when the decision was made to eliminate the escutcheon, and these were simply sent down the line without routing that missing feature.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As senex said, pretty uncommon, but they do turn up. A few months ago, I picked up an ex-PU with half liner front/screwed escutcheon rear:

That's just like mine. So would you say the stock is pre war then instead of war time with that combination?

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
That's just like mine. So would you say the stock is pre war then instead of war time with that combination?
It would be strictly a guess, but I'd say it's likely from around the time Izhevsk was transitioning from the early war style screwed escutcheon stocks to half liner front/no liner rear. They may have been using up the last of the screw-in escutcheons.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've only seen this once before, but if my memory serves me well, the rear eschuteon on the one I saw was noticeably larger than normal. It was on the rear and had a tab on the front. I figured it might have been some kind of repair. Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only seen this once before, but if my memory serves me well, the rear eschuteon on the one I saw was noticeably larger than normal. It was on the rear and had a tab on the front. I figured it might have been some kind of repair. Just throwing it out there.

Well, there was a repair, but it doesn't look to me like the repair would have impacted the front slot - also doesn't really look like there
was an area for the original escutcheon but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Yes it happens. Sometimes you get a mix of them. Pressed in and screwed, pressed in with liner or none at all. I don't know if it's possible to pinpoint exactly when or why, but combinations of different escutcheons with Mosins is always possible!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts