Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New info 10/20/07

New info 10/20/'07
I received some information from a fellow researcher...

"I spoke an historian from Fabrique National and also shared your 24/47 pics with them. Both are of the opinion that your 24/47 is a reworked FN stock. There is a disagreement on numbers, but the last 8000-10000 rifles from the first Yugo 24 contract and the first 2000-5500 from the second were marked this way. There were a few of the Cavs marked that way, but not a whole lot of them. It is their opinion (and mine) that that stock was not Yugo made. If you would like to send me a 1.00-1.25 inch sliver from inside the stock, I can use mass spectrometry to confirm. (this I have sent, 'nug)

Kragevic DID mark M95M, Mod. 98, and some M24s that way, but it was not the norm throughout the 1930s. It seems to coincide with the reworking of foreign rifles. Some Czech VZ-23 and VZ-24s were marked this way before 1938, but the practice was not consistent."

I think this is probably the most likely explanation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was cleaning up this 24-47 stock and noticed something I don't think I've seen or heard of before. What appears to be a serial number on the stock... on the right side beneath the receiver ring.
The number doesn't match either of the two numbers stamped on the butt stock. I would presume the number reflects the original model 1924 serial # and the two butt numbers (one lined out) reflect two 24/47 uses.
The problem with that theory is that there is also trace of a king Peter stamp in the stock too. The number, if I'm reading it right, would fall before that.(from 1934) I make it out to be 135022.

How were the FN stocks marked? But again, that doesn't fit because the number is too high unless that first number, 1, is a Cyrillic letter. But it doesn't look like one of those listed in Branko's table either.
Any bright ideas?

(oh. And before anybody gets on me about polyurethaning the stock, that's just a fresh wash of mineral spirits.)
View attachment 10620

An edited close up of the number...
View attachment 10621

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
nug: That is the right location for FN serial numbered stock. I couldn't tell you how a Yugo FN M24 was numbered (Arabic or with a Cyrillic prefix) or even if it was. The example in Ball's 4th edition apparently does not have a numbered stock - but is that stock original to the rifle and were early ones marked? The text doesn't say. The pic is inconclusive. I'd say chances are that is a FN number. All of my FN's are numbered there. Here is the only pic I have readily available. It is from a "Moroccan" carbine. HTH DDR

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dudly. Long time no "see." :)
That's a nice low number!

Branko's book notes the FN M1924s had a Cyrillic prefix in 10,000 blocks. An email response from a friend noted that all three of German captures had a number there too. Whether they were FNs or German added numbers he couldn't say. Only one matched the rifle.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anybody's interested, a gent on another forum gave me this bit of info...

"Kragujevac DEFINITELY marked their guns in that location in the late 1930's, as did their feeder factories like the Yakov Poshinger Arms and Ammunition Factory that converted the M95Ms in 1939. Check out the below link at milsurps.com for a detailed gallery of an M95M including these markings (sadly mismatched on this example).

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?p=8720#post8720

Serbia DEFINITELY numbered their guns below the receiver ring serial number in the late 1930's. On M95M's, the serial number is on the opposite side of the stock because that's where the receiver is numbered. I suspect your stock, at one time (in the 1930's) was part of an M1924 - probably a Serbian made one, not FN.

Additionally, the marking may not be the stock's first serial number (or rifle). It's entirely possible that one of the buttstock serials is older. The few M1924's and M95M's I've observed bear this out. On the ones where the stock matches below the receiver ring, there is almost always on older mismatched number on the buttstock."

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
new info 10/20

I added new info to my initial post above. I think that pretty well cinches it.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts