Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About the so-called "armourers rifle" and its numbering.

This is a Flare gun m/18 # 43/53 made by Husqvarna, is this to be considered as an "armourer flare gun" and very rare according to it´s odd numbering ??

Furthermore, I have cut-away mechanism both m/94 # 11/44, and a m/96 # 1/44, with odd numbering, are they also considered to be "armourers cut away's" and very rare ??

Of course NOT, this is just a further post with the meaning that armoures rifle does not exist, as little as other weapons, nor is it.

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
I just noticed this thread, I have the same types of examples, all three barrel lenths, and some with the odd numbering. Also, you should know they can also come with factory wood grips. My favorite Swedish flare guns so far are the brass double barrels. I have three different variations of those.

·
Administrator
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just noticed this thread, I have the same types of examples, all three barrel lenths, and some with the odd numbering. Also, you should know they can also come with factory wood grips. My favorite Swedish flare guns so far are the brass double barrels. I have three different variations of those.
There was also some of the guns equipped with wooden grips instead of the more common bakelite ones. I have one gun with wooden grips which further more lacking every form of producer mark or name, also crown/acceptance stamp and control officer initials are abcence. Made by Husqvarna in the same spirit as sub maschine guns and automatic pistols during the war. Those weapons was delivered to the Danish and Norwegian resistance movement.
The last brass gun, m/96 are also very interesting, only made a couple of hundreds of.

·
Administrator
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which of the three flare guns has the special numberings?
The m/18 has that number, there is to find also the other variants with this type of numbering.
The m/18-40 and 18-65 are all shortened m/18. The Army material administration diden't take any note of numbers when conversion was made. Only thing counts was a working gun. Same as what was made with the rifle m/96 and carbines m/94.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Swedish Flare gun M/1896

There are two types of the Swedish flare gun M/1896. As you can see they are made of brass. All samples found have the Navy markings.
The first type had short hammers. (Gun on top) When the barrels smashed together on a loaded gun, it sometimes caused an accidental discharge. The hammers all way down have the firing pins reaching outside of the receiver.
Second type (Lower gun): To prevent these accidental discharges with the hammers all way down and not in the half cock position the front of the hammers were extended on the later production.
/Gotavapen
http://gotavapen.se/index_eng2g.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Here is a first model m/96 in my collection where you can clearly see the problem with the firing pins protruding when the hammers are down. Attached to the lanyard ring is a warning tag that the Navy has placed as a reminder to have the hammers at half cock when loading the pistol. I was not aware of the 2nd model variation so it has become just one more item on the want list.

"Vid laddning skola Hanarna vara till - Bakafördba i halvspänn."

The second image is that of the Navy's "cats paw" property mark on the pistol.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I understand the two variations of the brass double barreled pistols with the long and short hammers but I'm not familiar with a third variation. What might that one be?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Thank you for the info on a 3rd variation. Quite frankly, I thought if you've seen one of these pistols you've seen them all. It will be interesting to watch for the other variations . . . although not as interesting as the day that a poor Swedish sailor who failed to heed the warnings and had one or two star shells ricocheting and dancing around around his feet on the deck.

·
Administrator
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the info on a 3rd variation. Quite frankly, I thought if you've seen one of these pistols you've seen them all. It will be interesting to watch for the other variations . . . although not as interesting as the day that a poor Swedish sailor who failed to heed the warnings and had one or two star shells ricocheting and dancing around around his feet on the deck.
It's not enough with the two "basic" types of this gun, add to that at least five or six oddity concerning small details that differs, and the mentioned 3rd variation are one of them.

·
Administrator
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another "Lyspistol m/1918" with an unusual numbering # 118/53. One weapon in a line, ordered on unknown specific grounds. And again NO "armourers flare gun" !!!

Got this pic´s today of a collector friend who told me this one are for sale what I understand in the US. No more info given.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.