Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked a nice Stutzen up this afternoon with an odd rear sight. It has the short carbine style rear sight but the only sight markings are 3 on the bottom of the "V" notch, 0.7 & 4
on the leaf, the rest of the sight ladder is smooth without any other graduations. It also has an extra high front sight and is marked ZW. 452 on the buttplate also 351.54 on right side of receiver & barrel with a mark that looks like NPv on barrel shank above 351.54.
All matching!! No import marks, no crossed out stock #'s. Looks like it was made for short range shooting only. 8x56 R caliber and it doesn't have a manufacture date on the barrel.

Any ideas??

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
950 Posts
There was an old post about someone finding one of these a few years back. It's a particularly scarce post-WWII Austrian issue border guard/customs guard Steyr M95. The 54 is the date marking for 1954. The ZW is the unit marking on the buttplate and stands for Zoll Wacht I belive (Customs Guard). Nice find! Let me know if you ever decide to get rid of it at some point in the future. They are very difficult to find! Can you post pictures of it?

·
Banned
737 Posts
My first posting to the new Gunboards! I have one of these marked in the same fashion. Mine is all matched with e-pencil on the bolt. The buttplate is aluminum and is highly polished, and has the serial with suffix stamped on the inside surface. Mine has an abbreviated front band as well as a front sight guard (missing the screw).

Any ideas on the current market value? I'd swap mine for a Mauser....

·
Registered
950 Posts
What kind of mauser are you looking for? Send me a PM if the trade with Mc does not work out. I've got quite a variety of interesting trade material I'd be willing to part with. E-mail is john.m.kennedy.jr at gmail.com.

·
Super Moderator
11,698 Posts
USDF & madboy357,

OK, I am third in the waiting line. Let me know what makes you happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts