Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gone to auction, thanks to everyone who helped me understand what I have.

Went to a small gun show in the area today, looking for a nice underhammer rifle for my son. What I came home with is a M91 Mosin, one that is a little different from the others that I have seen. I don't collect Mosins, but have 2 or 3 of them to shoot. Anyway this one is in a different type stock, the sling hangers are different as you can see from the pictures, and the crossbolt has been removed and a wooden plug installed. It has a 1901 date, is SA marked, and has AZF stamped in the receiver. Can anyone tell me what I bought, and what it is worth? The bore is dark, has matching number on the bolt, but not the magazine. I haven't removed it from the stock yet to see what the tang date is. Also has a sling hanger on the magazine.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Congrats!

The crossbolt was not removed, the rifle has the wooden crossbolt, that was used befor the metall crosbolt came in to use!
This is not common by any means.
It has austrian sling hangers.

Chris

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone care to guess as to what it is worth? I'll probably sell it, to finance that underhammer that I am wanting for my son.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
It's uncommon and worth quite a bit more than a regular Finnish M91 in similar condition. Maybe 4-5 times more. The stock is extremely rare in that unmodified configuration,as is the front swivel magazine. I know they don't like to quote prices in this part of the forum, so I won't put a real $ value, but it is high. Might want to auction it on a firearms auction site.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
I would like to say I hate you, but I don't, really. I'm just extremely envious and it manifests as rage.

Phenomenal find, and it's also a Sessy! Sessy dance!

·
Premium Member
105,713 Posts
That looks like the twin of my Setsroryetsk M91. Except mine doesn't have the sling slots still in it. It has all the holes where the sling swivels were taken out and then someone put screwed in sling slot escuchions. Quite haphazardly too. Thats a nice one. As stated, its hard to put a value on it. It has a rich history and a whole gamet of characteristics to it that aren't seen too often.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to remove the barrel to check the tang date, it also is an 01 date. There sure is a lot of old dirty grease in this thing, I decided to leave it there, also found a very small Century Arms stamp at the muzzle end. Don't know what I'll do with it yet, have never gone the auction route before. Maybe someone will give me one of those MY GOD, YOU'LL GIVE WHAT FOR IT type offers.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It is a big group of unusual features. To some extent, the combination may put off certain big spenders with certain defined interests. A WWI collector would love the A-H connection, but be put off by the later Finnish connection. A straight early Russian collector would love the stock, except for the A-H mods. If it still had the early rear sight on it, everyone would go nuts regardless. I hate to disagree with FGD135, but I only see the gun being worth 5 times normal if normal is $100. Some do not see the value that high. However, there may well two or three fellers out here that would drive an auction considerably higher. You'd just have to have good timing & luck on your side. I bet more than one offer to trade straight across for an underhammer rifle is put forth!

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whats an early rear sight look like?

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
"Whats an early rear sight look like?"

It is straight, the 'newer" sights are slightly curved....=+)

Pahtu.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine is curved. I may have been wrong about the tang date also, there was a number 9 on the left side of the Sestroryetsk mark, then a 0, and then what I thought was a 1, but it may have been an cyrillic letter I (geh). Just found my copy of the Mosin-Nagant rifle by Lapin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts