Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LGS has a '41 Tula refurb, nice shape, appears all matching including the cylinder.

Except the cylinder also has had numbers stamped on the side inside one of the cylinder depressions, but they have been X'ed out and are unreadable. They like the rest of the gun have been blued over.

I can no longer decipher the numbers that were X'ed out but I have not seen numbers in this position before and fail to understand why anyone would put numbers on the side of the cylinder at all since the numbers on the front match the gun.

Joe?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
First question, is the cylinder original? A 41 Tula should have a star OTK mark on the face of the cylinder. Replacement cylinders have larger number on the face and no OTK mark.

Second, can we get pictures of the added numbers? Please?

Since it is a 41 what marks does it have inside the frame?
Joe

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get another look at it next week if it doesn't sell before then. I know there are marks on the face of the cylinder besides the SN, and as I remember it the SN characters are the same size as I've seen on non-refurbs. But as far as the OTK I'll have to check.

Not sure they'll let me take the side plate off but I'll ask. It's overall cleaner than my 1925 refurb so if it is of particular value or rarity I'll buy it.

Jeff

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First question, is the cylinder original? A 41 Tula should have a star OTK mark on the face of the cylinder. Replacement cylinders have larger number on the face and no OTK mark.

Second, can we get pictures of the added numbers? Please?

Since it is a 41 what marks does it have inside the frame?
Joe
Joe, could you remind me the years that the refurb evidence of SNs on the trigger guard stopped?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Imperial revolvers into 1916 have serial numbers on the front left of the trigger guard. The trigger guard was a hand fitted piece and needed to be returned to the frame it was fitted to after bluing. This is also the reason that trigger guards were numbered during refurb. Revolvers were disassembled, repaired, refinished and reassembled. Saves time if you don't have to refit the trigger guard. Refurbs are numbered on the left rear face of the trigger guard.
To my knowledge the practice was carried out all through refurb. As with any part of the refurb process, it seems to have been carried out differently at difference facilities.
Joe

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, here's the scoop.

Pics confirm refurb with not original cylinder, though SN matches. No OTK mark, larger characters.

Side plate matches, frame has lots of markings. Hopefully the pics show the high points. Smallish discrete import mark on barrel.

Number that is X'ed out on the side of the cylinder is 6 numbers, bearing no relation to the SN. No cyrillic characters.

Plastic grips that match as well.

If the cylinder were original I'd have already bought it. What do you think?

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Ok, here's the scoop.

Pics confirm refurb with not original cylinder, though SN matches. No OTK mark, larger characters.

Side plate matches, frame has lots of markings. Hopefully the pics show the high points. Smallish discrete import mark on barrel.

Number that is X'ed out on the side of the cylinder is 6 numbers, bearing no relation to the SN. No cyrillic characters.

Plastic grips that match as well.

If the cylinder were original I'd have already bought it. What do you think?

Jeff
Cylinder NOT original. Force matched serial number on the cylinder. No OTK mark or inspector mark.
Plastic grips not original - they never came from the factory that way.
Diamond 1941 mark on the inside of the frame.
No ideal where the number in the cylinder flute came from!

Joe

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Interesting. Someone electropenciled the last three digits of the SN on the plastic grips.

Jeff
Done at refurb. Grips were fitted, removed. The frame was blued (dip process like Dulite) and reassembled with matched grips.

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.