Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
31,836 Posts
What's the story with the shotgun magazine? Is it hand built or came from something extant?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
My take on it is . Indian , wrong mag, furniture metal should be chromed. Used for the colour guard not shooting, though I have seen a No1Mk3 chrome shot. I don't have one in my collection as a variant, rare yes.

·
Silver Bullet member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CIA purchased at $36 a piece a few years ago, got two. One was DP marked and stripped for parts that where usable. Second one was not DP marked, but, barrel looked like crap, but was all grime and dirt and cleaned up very nice. Head spaced in spec on #0, mag is a converted (not by me) SMLE item as is wood butt and wood is a converted Mk2 with Ishapore screw in forearm. I changed out the flip rear sight. Shoots fine. Parade rifle, but unknown from where. Suspect maybe some school or academy in the USA somewhere? Don't believe it was done in the UK.

·
Registered
13,498 Posts
Well, here's a thread on milsurps speculating Canada as the origin for these chromed parade rifles:

Parade Rifle

We've also seen some MkIIIs from the Middle East, IIRC Jordan, that are chromed for ceremonial use.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Easy question first. How well does that Siaga conversion work for you? Does it feed easily for a fast followup, or does it need to be slow and deliberate?

That No4 certainly is an entertaining bitser. RFI butt by any chance? What of the forend...POF?
Its been Ishy screwed and dimpled for the grenade sight, but lacks the pivot hole in the band. Wondering why they didn't plate the forend cap unless it was left alone for some artsy-fartsy thing. They did the upper cap. Are the forend cap pins plated or just polished? Same with the Ishy screw? Neither mag on the two you bought was plated?

School in the USA? Hmmmm....certainly not a public school in recent decades! Why would Century have it unless....do they have plating shop classes in India schools?

Entertaining. Even halfassed questions sound reasonable...and without bourbon!

***Looked back at DDogs link. I dont think its Canadian.
However it reminded me that I have a nice No4 bayonet in a chromed scabbard and white frog around here somewhere. (Not for sale)

·
Silver Bullet member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Easy question first. How well does that Siaga conversion work for you? Does it feed easily for a fast followup, or does it need to be slow and deliberate?

That No4 certainly is an entertaining bitser. RFI butt by any chance? What of the forend...POF?
Its been Ishy screwed and dimpled for the grenade sight, but lacks the pivot hole in the band. Wondering why they didn't plate the forend cap unless it was left alone for some artsy-fartsy thing. They did the upper cap. Are the forend cap pins plated or just polished? Same with the Ishy screw? Neither mag on the two you bought was plated?

School in the USA? Hmmmm....certainly not a public school in recent decades! Why would Century have it unless....do they have plating shop classes in India schools?

Entertaining. Even halfassed questions sound reasonable...and without bourbon!

***Looked back at DDogs link. I dont think its Canadian.
However it reminded me that I have a nice No4 bayonet in a chromed scabbard and white frog around here somewhere. (Not for sale)
Slow and deliberate with Remington plastic hulls a LOT better/smoother with metal hull Golden Bear.
Neither of the handguards have plated anything, nor a plated Ishy screw. Mags on both rifles where neither chrome or DP marked, so figured added later. Butt plate is silver over brass and a SMLE butt, with No4 sling swivel set up. Wood is not varnished. Maybe incomplete parade rifles at CIA and the odd-bod items just added to make complete rifle? Have not tried Stevens Model 58 mag.

·
Silver Bullet member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your parade rifle lo
Well, here's a thread on milsurps speculating Canada as the origin for these chromed parade rifles:

Parade Rifle

We've also seen some MkIIIs from the Middle East, IIRC Jordan, that are chromed for ceremonial use.
Your parade rifle looks more complete and original than what I have. I'm guessing that the original mags on mine where chrome plated and varnished wood too. Think maybe a pile of these at CIA and items just added off a parts pile to make a complete rifle? Served in the British Army 1973-1978 but never saw any rifle (L1A1's then) that had been chromed used on parades. Polished magazines, chrome bayonets, sight-protectors and white slings yes, chrome no.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Have a Indian No.1 MKIII Ishapore rifle that I was cleaning when a buddy came over. I got a WTH is that. So after explaining just what it exactly was and in 7.62 Nato he just sat there and shook his head. We'd been shooting buddy's for years and he'd never seen this particular No.1 MKIII especially in 7.62 Nato. Old gun shop back home doubled as a gun shop and fishing tackle shop. He had racks on the walls with No.1MKIII's, Mausers even a few Lebels thrown in for good measure. Best part he sold mil surp ammo Argentine,French,British and U.S. I remember the store owner asking me about me getting near the draft age (Vietnam War) I told him I've already been there (USN) and come back. Said I didn't look old enough. Dad had signed my enlistment papers when I was 17.Got out a couple weeks before my 21st birthday. He asked what are you looking for?,couple boxes Interarms 7.65x53mm Argentine Mauser. He hands me two boxes and said sit down and have some coffee. He treated everyone right who came into that shop. When they had the riots customers would come into the store so he wouldn't get robbed. Frank

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.