Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this sealed can at the last gun show. Seller swears it is 7.62x54R on stripper clips, but had no open cans. I could not find a match to it on Teds' site.

I apologize for the poor quality of the photo.

Some characters are Cyrllic, but others, like the N and R are Latin.

I don't want to open the can unless I really have to.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Bulgarian

That's Bulgarian and that notation means it does have stripper clips. I got a couple of those cans and I would definitely open it to check the condition, for some reason the solder seals don't do a great job of keeping out moisture, there was slight rust and water staining on some of the packets in one of the cans. The paper of the packets inside is probably highly acidic, and there is generally a wood chunk inside also (pine?) which does not help things.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I'll crack the can this weekend.

Ted, do you want me to send you the empty can, so you can take better photos for your collection?

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
Also, a tin that size would have 800 rounds of 7.62x25 ammo in it.

gun_nut_73, thanks for the offer. I suspect the lid will be pretty mangled by the time you get the lid off. I'm really not trying to document all types of ammo packaging on my site either, just what I have to test. I'll leave the full scale comprehensive documentation to Gene W at www.mosinnagant.net Besides, I'll probably run across a tin or two around here eventually.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks like you have a tin of Bulgarian LB Brass case ammo on stripper clips. I just got 2 tins from SOG last week. The ammo is so so but the stripper clips work really well. The markings on your tin just about match mine. I was thinking about getting some more just for the clips but now Century and Classic have Brass case Bulgarian HB Yellow tip in stock. Now that stuff rocks for me. My Fins especially love it. Decision time, sigh!!

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
+1 on the Bulgarian HB. I bought 3,000 rnds. from Century with another 3,000 of the LB. Both work well for me, and the HB is very good.
Poot

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I LOVE the Bulgarian HB/YT! It's very accurate, and actually kinda pleasant to shoot in my M91. Top-notch stuff, IMHO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts