Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up this WW 1 bayonet and am not sure just what it is.
It is not cut for a rifle and does not appear to have been polished. I'm not sure the scabbard is correkt, but think it probably is.
Sarge

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Looks good,maybe the grip screws are in wrong place, the sawback looks little heavy on thooths.best regards,Andy

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What do you mean "the grip screws are in the wrong place"? Couldn't be anywhere else with those grips!
What is it that says polish on the scabbard?
Sarge

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
The scabbard could be polish, but then probably should be near mouth proofed or serialed? the counter nuts should be on the side where are the heads,best regards,Andy

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
What is it that says polish on the scabbard?
Sarge
The overall shape, the ball tip, the "wavy" frog stud, and the rivet retained throat springs. Sure there are other bayonet scabbards with rivet retained throat springs, but those things and the fact it's a Polish scabbard say it's Polish. Like I said I don't pretend to know what the bayonet is all about but the scabbard is Polish. It looks to have been scrubbed and blued.

It's a nice looking piece I look forward to other opinions reguarding the origin of your bayonet. Jon

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Looks like an S84/98 with sawback, made with a blade blade manufactured by Bayard of Liege, Belgium.

oops, looked at the pics again, the blow up is fuzzy, does it say Erfurt? Looked like the Bayard logo when I first glanced at it. Possibly made for MG troops? Never saw one that is not fixable to a rifle, but is dated. Cool bayonet regardless.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, it's an Erfurt. I took several photos, but couldn't get the reflection to go away. You'll notice the reflection is also on the one of bayo & scabbard.

I also think it's kinda "kuhl." Now if I could just fiind out what the heck it is!!!
Sarge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts