Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 1895 Chilean and it defies a common rule about the Chilean mauser. Its chambered for 8x57mm. when i got it i slugged the bore and i came up with .322 my thought was that someone at some point had re-barreled it. then as i began to take it apart both the serial number on the receiver and the barrel match. i have had this a few years now and have sent several hundred round of 8mm down range with it and it is by far the most accurate mauser i have in 8x57mm. my question is, has anyone else ever encountered one of these? this is the only one i have seen and my other 3 Chileans are all 7x57. as you can see in the pictures, both the barrel and receiver match and it has the Chilean proof stamped on the sight base. also you can see how it pretty near swallows up a Greek 8mm. any thoughts? this has me quite puzzled.:confused:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Possibly a rifle built up for trial of the 8x57 round by Chile before they adopted the 1912 rifles?? The font is different on the barrel and receiver serial numbers so I would guess it was an aresenal rebuild of an original 7x57 rifle. The stock serial is a mismatch. Chile may have thought about adopting the 8x57 spitzer cartridge in the new rifles (with attendent two calibers in the supply system problems) and had some test rifles built up. The Spanish and the Turks converted to 8x57 eventually but only after having accepted a lot of 8x57's into their weapons pools in the SCW and WWI. Chile and Argentina were contesting the border in the Andes at the time and both countries were concerned about long range fire. There must not be very many of these ever made or still intact.When countries adopted a new caliber in mass, they usually marked the rifles very clearly as in the various 7.62 conversions in the 50's and some 7.92 and .30/06 conversions earlier.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i never thought of it that way, could be right, everything matches except for the stock. and it shoots very well, very sharp rifling so i doubt it was fired all that much. think ill be hanging on to it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
odd 1895 Chilean

i have an 1895 Chilean and it defies a common rule about the Chilean mauser. Its chambered for 8x57mm. when i got it i slugged the bore and i came up with .322 my thought was that someone at some point had re-barreled it. then as i began to take it apart both the serial number on the receiver and the barrel match. i have had this a few years now and have sent several hundred round of 8mm down range with it and it is by far the most accurate mauser i have in 8x57mm. my question is, has anyone else ever encountered one of these? this is the only one i have seen and my other 3 Chileans are all 7x57. as you can see in the pictures, both the barrel and receiver match and it has the Chilean proof stamped on the sight base. also you can see how it pretty near swallows up a Greek 8mm. any thoughts? this has me quite puzzled.:confused:

I would respectufully suggest that it may be a 762x51 Chilean conversion,if so it would be stamped with "7,62" on the rear receiver bridge.
Okrana

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hello: I am curious as why you state it could "possibly be" built for trials of the 8x57 by Chile. Is there any data that Chile contemplated such a move? Also, any evidence that Chile " may have thought" about adopting the 8x57 round? Lacking any evidence of Chile thinking about adopting the 8x57, I respectfully suggest that " must not be very many of these ever made" or "still intact" may lend an aura of uniqueness to an otherwise normal 762x51 Chile M1895 rifle.I look forward to any comments on this.
Cordially,
Okrana

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i know 100% that its not 7.62x51 because even a 7.62 wouldnt swallow up an 8mm that far and the simple fact that bore slugged at .322 not to mention that i have sent several hundred rounds of 8x57 down range. i put a 7.62 in the magazine today and tried to chamber it and it would not chamber.

*edit* also worth noting that i save the brass regardless of if it is mil surp or commercial. i reload the commercial stuff and cash in the mil surp brass for cash. not one of the casings were deformed in anyway. has i not fired this at all i might suspect that it was a 7.62 conversion. but based on the large number or rounds i have fired through this rifle with no problems at all i am inclined to believe that this rifle was either made as an 8x57 or the chamber was bored out and the barrel re-rifled for the 8mm round. i did encounter a 1895 chilean last weekend at a gun show that was chambered in 8mm but it had a turk barrel with turk markings, proofs, and a non-matching serial number.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Everyone (even the USA) sat up and noticed the 7.92x57 S cartridge.

The Spanish adopted the 7x57 (175 grain round nose) and the Belgians,Turks, and Argentines adopted the 7.65x53 after the German Weapons Comission adopted the 1888 heavy bullet version of the 7.92x57 ca. 1889-1892. When the Germans adopted the S cartridge in the early 1900's, eveyone else who wanted to be a modern military power followed suit. Even the USA dropped a very fresh deisgn to go from .30/03 to .30/06. The Chilean military had close ties to Germany from the late 1800's on in their advisors and would have been very interested in the S cartridge because of the anticipated long range fire to be had in a war with Argentina over the border in the Andes. However, I will not arm wrestle over this with anyone who can muscle an 8x57 round into a 7.62 Nato chamber. I do think Enfield1853 has the round ID correct, and I did say I was speculating. The serial numbers look like an aresenal rebarreling for a test rifle. A rifle given out to a private in the ranks would have been branded, stamped and painted with the new caliber but an ordenance test piece would be used by knowlegable folks and would not have required such marking.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i agree with you, if it had been something issued to troops in the field it would be marked six ways to sunday of what the new caliber was. whatever it is it shoots nice, far better than some target rifles i have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts