Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one chaps observation, do not take as gospel. As an older collector who got into the activity ~ 40 years ago, the time comes when one has to begin to dispense with one's collection (kids not interested). When I got started I had numerous older collectors who helped me out, selling me their less desirable items for not all that much, but which were treasures to me.

In a similar manner, on more than one occasion I have attempted to do the same to what were newer members, who advertised that they wanted a rather unusual item (such as a MAS 49 or VZ 52/57 or No 8 wood set). I those cases I was not going to ask the going rate, actually far lower, more like half. In many cases now I have found instead of folks looking for a fair price, folks are looking to get a steal. By that i mean wanting to pay a worn VZ 52 price for a mint VZ 52/57 or a MAS 49/56 price for a Mas 49 (French version). Now while I understand folks wanting to pay the lowest market value they can, such interactions have put me off selling on the board completely. I do far better and do not have to deal with the hassles if taken to my local dealer, who can get me top price on gunbroker, for 15% of the final price. No boxing, inspection returns or other worries.

I mention this because a few years ago when I did similar sales it seemed a win-win, some folks got guns/parts at prices they found very good and I was not hurt either, but the current attitudes have more or less made me very wary of that approach to selling any more.

Which is a shame, as a large part of the enjoyment I got out of gun collecting was the interaction with other collectors. I guess as the activity has become more money oriented that aspect of the activity has gone by the wayside.

Curious if other folks see something similar, or I am missing something from the buyers point of view.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I have a second business and I deal in Militaria. I see younger buyers who have no tact when it comes to the art of the deal. They ask your lowest price without even seeing the item, are trying to buy multiple things and don’t remember what they told you and only have enough money for one item, so yes it’s difficult. What works best like you say is dealing with people/ shops that treat you right. So many people never negotiate in person, so they have no manners when it come to these things, ahh the internet generation.. PS: I have many younger buyers with money and manners, not trying to slam anyone-E

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,189 Posts
Fritz I agree with you whole heartedly but would add that there are seasoned veterans here on the forum who have no qualms about trying to skin the seller. I suspect many times they want to either 1 brag about how cheap it was or 2 sell it for a profit and brag about that. Many times I have sold a gun to a dealer for more than what forum members would pay and the dealer would turn around and sell it for a profit also. I don't screw around much with the forum as I divest myself of a lot of stuff. Just too much hassle and the tire kickers who just want to see more pictures are there also. One of my favorites is after it is sold the inevitable question pops up, "how much did you sell it for". None of your damn business. You didn't want to buy it in the first place. And then, my all time favorite is the guy who just too damned busy to click on one extra link to go to google drive or something similar to view a whole bunch of pictures. They would rather ask ten thousand questions and then ask you to take more photos (that are already on google drive) and email them to them exclusively. This is a tough place to sell.

A couple of much better selling platforms are over in the 24 Hour Campfire and also the CMP forums.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Fritz,

I hear your pain..... I have never sold here but have posted a couple of wanted ads with decent results...... I pay uo for items I need and pull the trigger. I have had the flip side when I posted WTB ads I had 2 people contact me asking sky high prices for their items. I had to actually show them what auctions had ended for either on GB or Fleabay as they did not believe me...... In the end it was a big turn off.......

There are a few people on here that I avoid like the plague, the maority of guys are here are super nice, its the few that give bad names to the bunch......

I am in the same boat as you and in the future I may post a Sale ad and I will see how it goes....(fingers crossed)

·
Registered
814 Posts
I can sympathize with a lot of the above. In selling a large portion of my collection locally I've encountered a lot of people who try to pass themselves off as experts. I by no means take offense to learning something new, but it's the guys who tell me what big collectors they are because they have a turk and Spanish mauser along with an m91/30 and then lowball the snot out of me because "as a collector, that's just not what's worth". By and large though I've had a good experience and helped a lot of nice people get started and referred them to gunboards, you just have to hurdle the so-called experts.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
I have bought a several items from fellow members at fair prices and smooth transactions. I have not ever posted a WTB ad but I will be in the near future to fill some holes in the collection. Much of the for sale stuff it is priced too high to even make an offer or the poster does not have enough posts for my comfort. There is also a big difference in pricing from both coasts and Texas, than where I am located in the Midwest. Commonly 20-30% from my experience. The lack of local gun shows everywhere has put a lot stress on the normalcy of moving items.
John

·
Registered
480 Posts
I consider myself new to the collecting world and I have to chime in here and say that individuals such as yourself are the reason many of us were able to get into collecting in the first place. The sharing of knowledge and fair prices has allowed a lot of us to keep that interest. Please know that there are individuals out there that appreciate your efforts and attempts at passing on the knowledge and opportunity to get a fair start on collecting. The world needs more of this and I hope to be able to do the same someday.

This is one chaps observation, do not take as gospel. As an older collector who got into the activity ~ 40 years ago, the time comes when one has to begin to dispense with one's collection (kids not interested). When I got started I had numerous older collectors who helped me out, selling me their less desirable items for not all that much, but which were treasures to me.

In a similar manner, on more than one occasion I have attempted to do the same to what were newer members, who advertised that they wanted a rather unusual item (such as a MAS 49 or VZ 52/57 or No 8 wood set). I those cases I was not going to ask the going rate, actually far lower, more like half. In many cases now I have found instead of folks looking for a fair price, folks are looking to get a steal. By that i mean wanting to pay a worn VZ 52 price for a mint VZ 52/57 or a MAS 49/56 price for a Mas 49 (French version). Now while I understand folks wanting to pay the lowest market value they can, such interactions have put me off selling on the board completely. I do far better and do not have to deal with the hassles if taken to my local dealer, who can get me top price on gunbroker, for 15% of the final price. No boxing, inspection returns or other worries.

I mention this because a few years ago when I did similar sales it seemed a win-win, some folks got guns/parts at prices they found very good and I was not hurt either, but the current attitudes have more or less made me very wary of that approach to selling any more.

Which is a shame, as a large part of the enjoyment I got out of gun collecting was the interaction with other collectors. I guess as the activity has become more money oriented that aspect of the activity has gone by the wayside.

Curious if other folks see something similar, or I am missing something from the buyers point of view.

·
Administrator
9,548 Posts
I see younger buyers who have no tact when it comes to the art of the deal.
+1, have had this happen to me, but I have found that sometimes they don't enough money or they don't know the difference between your $200-43 Izhevsk 91/30, and your $600-1914 Izhevsk Dragoon, they only know it's a Mosin that shoots cheap ammo.

I had one gentleman that lowballed me on a rifle and I told him I would use it as a tomato stake 1st before selling it that cheap. He PM'ed me a couple of hours latter and apologized and said he wanted it and would pay full price if he had the money but he wouldn't for 30 days. I told him I would hold it if he really wanted it and when he got the money to let me know. He insisted on sending me 1/2 right away , and the other 1/2 in a couple of weeks and for me to hold the rifle, and true to his word he followed through and he has since bought another rifle, same way.

It just reminds me this hobby isn't the same relatively inexpensive hobby it use to be.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with Dallased that today's buyers don't have any sort of delicate approach to buying something. And I mean not just selling here but trying to move any random stuff on Facebook for example. I always get endless amounts of not serious people that just want to waste your time or rip you off. Unfortunately that's how it is in the age of the internet. Making an inquiry or just initiating a contact with the seller takes a lot less effort and commitment than it used to. So a lot of people end up abusing that convenience. Best way to deal with it is just ignore people that ask dumb questions or act like they "know it all".

In defense of the younger collectors, while being one of them, I would say that, the reason why it is such a big deal to get a steal on a collectable firearm is because how expensive the hobby has become in the last few years. I mean with some mosin variants costing 4 times what they were just 10 years ago, you can't help but enjoy getting that sweet deal as much as getting a cool piece of history. Like myself, a lot of starting collectors weren't in a position to own C&Rs when they were cheap. So now when the question of "money spent" becomes more vivid, people turn off their filters and go "all in" with their low offer and hope they luck out. I don't condone this type of conduct. This is what I think has caused people focusing too much on how much they spend, rather than what they get.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
I will say I've had a few transactions with good folks on here. And, there are some folks who have listed things at very fair prices--I assume they bought the item when prices were cheaper, and they weren't concerned with trying to get top dollar. I've even had a member send me some rare ammunition at no cost. Saying that, I've also had many experiences that have put a sour taste in my mouth. I've received offers that were so poor, I'd rather throw the item away or give it to a friend than sell at the offer price. Some people like to haggle--I don't. I rarely will offer a lower price to a seller--I figure they are asking what they want, and if I think it's too much, I move on. On the flip side, I state the price I want--and that's generally it. If I got a deal from an auction, I'm usually willing to give wiggle room on my prices--especially if the buyer doesn't seem like a jerk.

The market has changed from years ago. I would've loved to get five Mosins for $100, or a Finnish Mosin for $40 or less. A lot of the stuff has been imported already. And, prices have rose a good bit. I wouldn't mind wheeling and dealing if the stuff in question was dirt cheap. It is no longer dirt cheap. A Mosin stock sells for more money that what five rifles used to sell for. If I am selling something, my cost has to go into consideration. Also, market price has to go into consideration. If I had bought all my stuff years ago, AND if I was well off financially, I probably could care less about prices. Not getting the deals, or being well off, I have to take what somebody else is willing to pay into consideration. I would guess a lot of current collectors are in the same boat I'm in. I do interact with other collectors on Facebook, and some on forums. I was able to visit two forums members over the weekend at a gun show. And, I would take the opportunity to meet up with other collectors who I've become friends with online....most live all over the country though. But, if there was an opportunity, I would certainly meet up with them. I think the landscape just changed over the years. Collectors are still friends. The interactions may be different though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My perspective, starting taking collecting seriously about 3 years ago at the age of 20, flips a bit the other direction. I'll start off by saying that this hobby is much easier to deal and less risky than my other hobby of classic cars. In that field, my god, people will outright lie to you to make a sale and feel proud about it "because you should have known better". Anyways...

I have a hard time being taken seriously at gun shows and in online sales. I'd buy a rifle for a fair price at a show and carry it around the rest of the day, around every corner comes a codger offering me 1/5th what I paid without even looking at it. Or a vendor trying to sucker me into paying twice what something is worth because "it was at the Battle of Saipan, I guarantee it". The worst one is telling somebody that their rifle is refinished and worth less than an original and they say you don't know what you're talking about, but I think that's a universal experience.

Granted, I spend way more than I should on my hobbies, but I try my best not to lowball somebody if I know better. Like everybody, I'm still learning and I've made a few insulting offers early on in collecting without knowing it, but eventually figured it out. I do get frustrated sometimes, particularly in my search for a nice early Type 99. They always go for over $1k, when not long ago they were half that. I just want one example. It would be nice for somebody to sell me one for $500 when they got it for $200 10 years ago. Still making a profit, but helping me immensely. But I know better than to ask that right off the bat. Oh well, I'll get one eventually. Just my ramblings.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess I am still a fairly novice collector. I have certainly overpaid for more firearms than I have underpaid... I'm just curious, do most seller's here expect full asking price for their items? In general, not just firearms, if I saw a used item for sale for a length of time I would offer a little less.

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
I guess I am still a fairly novice collector. I have certainly overpaid for more firearms than I have underpaid... I'm just curious, do most seller's here expect full asking price for their items? In general, not just firearms, if I saw a used item for sale for a length of time I would offer a little less.
I can't speak for others. I stated my terms above though. I don't like to haggle. So, what I list something for is what I want to get out of it. I even, at times, suspect people of letting something sit for a while, expecting to make a lower offer. Again, some people may work with that. But that's generally not how I work. Everybody is different though. I get a little soured at times. There are some who will want a deal from you; but, when they sell, they expect market price or above.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Interestingly, The phenomenon of buyers buying 'labels' is common.
People wanting an 'M1' or a 'carbine' . Lots seem to be ready to 'settle' for an 03. Must be cheap?
They have no problem in telling you what they can get elsewhere, regardless of any known condition.

I collect straight razors. They are called 'tang stamp' buyers. Do the same thing.
A Wade and Butcher is not exactly that. Can you use it as it was intended or is it a worn-out bit of parts noone really wants or needs? Just because you own one does not mean you have anything.
Firearms are much more complex. It begins badly as someone begins comparing apples to radishes in the price dept.
Young ones have to learn the hard way. Unless they rob widows... That never lasts long.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Personally, I've never been one to haggle over anything. If I feel the asking price is too much, I'll ask the seller for what he or she believes is a fair price. If that still seems too high to me I just walk away.
When I'm trying to sell something I always post that I'm willing to accept any reasonable offer. I'm not looking to get rich but if I'm selling something most likely it's to fund something else.

·
Registered
24,968 Posts
I do far better and do not have to deal with the hassles if taken to my local dealer, who can get me top price on gunbroker, for 15% of the final price. No boxing, inspection returns or other worries.

I guess as the activity has become more money oriented that aspect of the activity has gone by the wayside.

Funny you say that, because I believe many markets are starting to go the way that you describe. I am currently looking into starting a business doing exactly this, only not just in firearms; but also fishing equipment and camera equipment. I think many collecting communities have changed in recent years, and families looking at moving collections of various things that other family members have collected over the years, are looking for a way to sell these items off at a fair value without being taken advantage of. Yeah, they can do it all themselves, but that is a lot of work, and not something many people are willing to commit to.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
I am in the early stages of selling off a lifetime accumulation of stuff. I began piling it up in the early 60s. Seen lots of changes and a number of surprises.
I have sold a few pieces through the wanted section this year and all have gone well.
There are those who want things as cheap as they can get them, but I am not a haggler. Good clear pics, especially of dings, etc are essential. Honesty is the only policy.
I include handling, shipping and insurance in my price. That can be more than some folks realize.
One must do homewwork on actual shipping. Some states have regs that go all the way to impossible.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ok, I'll be the a more " young" guy here. I rarely ever buy anything on forums ( don't think I've ever bought anything here ) but I've bounced around enough gun shops and shows.

This is directed at shops and shows more that forums

Older dealers/ sellers want to attach a story to everything and then want to haggle the price.
By the time they're done telling the story and listing thier high end haggle price I've already been annoyed, make one offer for what I actually will pay and walk away afterward. Is it curt, maybe, but I'm not there for socializing.

And that's assuming they even intend to sell it at all. You all know those guys with stores or tables at the gun show who never actually sell anything but always have stuff "for sale". They just want to show off thier stuff or talk down to other "lesser" collectors or customers often with incorrect and outdated information.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Seems to me that a lot of people are research averse and seek information which, with a bit of effort, is freely available from stickies or other sources, - for more esoteric advice it's another matter.
But, post by all means for others to enjoy and comment as needed. A safe and pleasant Christmas to all, it'll be prawns and lobster down here (the Chinese have imposed an import ban).

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.