Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have had a "Shall Issue" CCW law here in my state for more than a decade now and I have noticed a change in the choice of handguns by many permit holders. In the early days the "average" person carried a small frame .38 revolver while the "shootists" preferred full sized 1911 .45 pistols, often custom built "street, combat" pistols, usually carried with at least one spare magazine.

In the past five years I have noticed a significant change. While the small frame .38 revolvers are still popular with the non-enthusiast crowd, most of the people who once lugged around a full sized, .45 caliber 1911 have switched to smaller pistols...smaller in both size, weight and caliber. It seems the most common pistol now being carried by "shootists" are various polymer frame guns with the Glock, Kahr, M&P and Kel-Tec predominating. While many seem to favor .40 pistols there is a definite increase in the popularity of the 9mm. I've also noticed that fewer people carry spare magazines of ammo.

When I first started carrying I used a S&W 2.5" Model 19, which was replaced by a lightweight 1911 Commander sized pistol. After about two years I switched to a Glock 17 and a S&W 449 snubbie. The G17 was my primary pistol for many years until I got a Kahr PM9 which is now a constant companion although if I feel the need to carry more "firepower" I use my S&W M&P.

I'm wondering if this is a local trend or a national one?

·
Administrator
17,678 Posts
Krag, I've been carrying and instructing others on the principles of concealed carry for a long time. I tell students to carry the biggest gun they can comfortably conceal because bigger guns are easier to shoot well and are more likely to get the job done if they need to use their gun. I started with a Sig p-226 and then switched to a p-228. Both were carried in inside the waist band holsters on the strong side hip and always carried with a spare mag on the other side. I advised students that my choice was based on never knowing what you might face and 5 shots might not be enough. That is still true, however, it became problamatic. Eventualy I figured out that I needed suspenders to keep my trousers up and occasionally suffered hip pain that necessitated my use of a cane to walk. Funny how clubs and fine restarants are often located in seedier parts of town where you might indeed be accosted by a gang on your way back to your car. Well, I'm older now and don't go out as much. By switching to a J frame .38 in a pocket holster I did away with the hip pain and I can wear that little gun anywhere, undetected, which is the point of concealled carry isn't it. I usually keep a Bianchi speed strip in my other pocket since reloading might be necessary, at least so you aren't going home with an empty gun to face car jackings or home invasions. The Sig p-226 is still avialable if I feel the need but I traded the 228 (big mistake that I regret). I kind of do feel undergunned with a 5 shot revolver but since I can't afford another Sig or a Glock 19 or some other diminutive semi-auto right now I'm coping with what I've got.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
I always carry a spare mag. I put my Makarov in a SmartCarry holster and never have discomfort, and really surprise my gun buddies when they find out I'm packing and they couldn't even tell.

In the winter I sometimes carry my 226 in a Galco Fed paddle holster, when I can cover it with a coat. My cute little NAA mini- revolver (weapon of last resort) resides in a belt buckle that rarely gets a second glance from anyone.
Minnesota is also a 'shall issue' state now, and carrying concealed is not a requirement. I like that from the standpoint of not being arrested for an accidental exposure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think people are growing up and realizing that lugging around old slabsides is hard work. ALot fo the big "guru's" are coming around with even chuck taylor switching to a Glock. With cooper gone, I'm sure it will continue to change. But a market has evolved for compact civilian pistols that wasn't there previously and it will continue to evolve. The civilian's need is different that the police officer, a police officer can flash his gun, while civilian's has to usually remain concealed. Civilians also don't have heavy duty belts and would prefer something lighter and compact. This is what the market demands.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
69,251 Posts
In Kentucky there is a specific statute that allows a loaded cocked firearm to be kept in an "unlocked" glove compartment. (Without a permit being needed)

(Now if I could only get my Mini 14, with the 12 inch barrel and floding stock into the gove compartment.)

Size or weight, in this instance, would have no effect.

A permit would be needed only if outside of the car or the home which is a greatly reduced time period. So I use a Browning Hi-Power, with ashoulder holster in the winter nd a belt slide in the summer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hummm...guess I've never been a "shootist." In my jeans and t shirt environment i could never conceal anything bigger than a J frame .38 (.357's are a tad too long). I finally went with a Kel-Tec .32 which was so much more compact than my Airweight .38 that I could carry it much better in my Lee jeans.

I bought a Glock 27 sight unseen specifically for this use way back when, but whoever called this a "pocket pistol" (Massad Ayoub and others when it was introduced) must have had 1930's pockets.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used to carry a 1911 and than moved to XD-45 4" model. My curent carry piece is either a Det. Spl or a 2 1/2 " Diamondback. Speed strips for reloads. Doubt I'd ever need em though. Hard to beat the reliability of a revolver.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Interesting post. I have to agree with much of your original post, Krag. I also agree with Alan, when it comes to carry of snubby revolvers. In this case I can claim he is aping me as I carried a snubby for years before he decided to put the artillery away. This is an interesting question to me for one reason. I have begun to walk again. I am doing this for a number of reasons; it lowers my blood glucose and I have been having a real bear of a time with this recently, as well, it helps clear my mind when I am writing up papers for school, and lastly, I am a fat bastard who needs to get off his ass. I walk in a seedy park in my neighborhood. There is MS-13 and MS-18 graffiti all over the place and the goblins that I suspect did the scrawl are well apparent. have already called the cops three times about stolen cars dropped off at this park...you notice things when you go walking by everyday. Well, these days I decide HOW to carry a gun and then I start thinking about WHAT gun to carry. The gym shorts I wear when I walk have become loose, a good thing, but now I cannot actually pack a gun in the pocket any more; a bad thing. So pocket carry is now out for my walks. I looked around and have decided to try out one of the Maxpedition Fat Boy bags for my walks. I picked one up today and will try it tomorrow. If the bag works out I will next look toward what to put in it. I am thinking about a Springfield XD, Glock 19 or a Kahr....but that is a whole other story.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
MJL,

Why not stop at good will or the salvation army store and buy some pants or shorts that fit you? (Or retail outlet if you have the funds)

What is going to stop some thief on a foot or bicycle from grabbing your expensive looking bag when running by you?

(I have seen this happen with purses and backpacks many time over)

You are far better off with the firearm on your body, even if you are using a ***** oops, I mean fanny pack. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I carry a Makarov in a redstorm holster. I have recently bought a CZ75b, and will use that for my winter carry gun in a Comp Tac holster. Should be easy enough to conceal when wearing heavy shirts and coats. For summer I will continue using the Mak as it is easier to conceal. When I went to the class, I was amazed by how many people had these huge hog legs that they thought they were gonna carry. The instructor had words with some of these folks, and two of them actually bought smaller guns that very day! One guy bought a Kahr 9mm, the other lady bought a Smith 38. I sure hope the others follow suit. Id hate to see these skinny guys trying to pack their Glock 45s and full size 1911s. I think not! But I do see a trend with these folks. Most people usually start out with the biggest baddest gun they can afford. But eventually they start realizing how heavy and hard to conceal they are, and generally get something smaller in the end.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
We have had a "Shall Issue" CCW law here in my state for more than a decade now and I have noticed a change in the choice of handguns by many permit holders. In the early days the "average" person carried a small frame .38 revolver while the "shootists" preferred full sized 1911 .45 pistols, often custom built "street, combat" pistols, usually carried with at least one spare magazine.

In the past five years I have noticed a significant change. While the small frame .38 revolvers are still popular with the non-enthusiast crowd, most of the people who once lugged around a full sized, .45 caliber 1911 have switched to smaller pistols...smaller in both size, weight and caliber. It seems the most common pistol now being carried by "shootists" are various polymer frame guns with the Glock, Kahr, M&P and Kel-Tec predominating. While many seem to favor .40 pistols there is a definite increase in the popularity of the 9mm. I've also noticed that fewer people carry spare magazines of ammo.

When I first started carrying I used a S&W 2.5" Model 19, which was replaced by a lightweight 1911 Commander sized pistol. After about two years I switched to a Glock 17 and a S&W 449 snubbie. The G17 was my primary pistol for many years until I got a Kahr PM9 which is now a constant companion although if I feel the need to carry more "firepower" I use my S&W M&P.

I'm wondering if this is a local trend or a national one?
I think it is a national trend.

CCW has become more popular and the people carrying have learned that you are far less likely to use the firearm than the media, television, and movies would have you believe.

Another reality is that if you do use your sidearm, you will loose it for a while- maybe longer.

It will probably not be well taken care of while it is away.

If you do get it back you may not appreciate the condition it may be in.

I know of at least one very nice revolver that was part of a local case that did not make it back to the owner because of a judicial error.

The county had to pay the owner for the revolver but the owner still believes to this day that one of the deputies stole it. (It got smelted with many other handguns that have been used in crimes.)

I carry Kel-Tec.

My pistols are reliable, concealable, and disposable in the sense that they are replaceable should I need to use them and they spend an extended time in police custody.

I would not feel the same way about my Kimbers or Colts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hummm...guess I've never been a "shootist." In my jeans and t shirt environment i could never conceal anything bigger than a J frame .38 (.357's are a tad too long). I finally went with a Kel-Tec .32 which was so much more compact than my Airweight .38 that I could carry it much better in my Lee jeans.

I bought a Glock 27 sight unseen specifically for this use way back when, but whoever called this a "pocket pistol" (Massad Ayoub and others when it was introduced) must have had 1930's pockets.
If I may ask why? I knew a guy from Arkansas that could dress for the beach and hide a Glock 17. Maybe you're not using the right holster. Could you describe your set up?

·
Administrator
17,678 Posts
Bet he doesn't go near the water with his Glock, although, the tennifer finish is supposed to be very durable, it won't last long in salt water. Florida Marine Patrol officers carry Glocks and are not allowed to service them themselves. The departmental armorer must clean and service them. I knew of one officer who went to the range for his anual qualification shoot and the gun would not fire. The armorer opened it up and the internals were rusted solid. When I go to the beach I drop my J frame Smith into one of those press and seal type sandwich bags before sticking it in my pocket and it stays nice and dry.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The best gun in a gun fight is the gun you have. A gun doesn't do you any good if when you need it...it's home in the safe. Carrying cancealed everyday in all weather and different dress and social situations can take an enormous amount of dicipline. I've carried for a lot of years and carried a lot of different weapons but have setteled on a G27 in an ankle holster with 30 rounds on the other ankle for everyday carry while wearing long pants.....when I'm in shorts I'll wear the same Glock or a Kel-Tec P11 in the small of my back with my shirt untucked. Both methods are so comfortable that when I get home I generally stay armed until I change clothes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have many carry guns,but my most used is a Taurus 617 .357 mag. 7 shot Ultra Lite revolver with a set of Wollf gunsprings installed(big difference).Use a Clipdraw for carry.Leather vest conceals it pefectally.Also carry a speedloader.Cartridges are Corbon Power balls in .38 spl.+P.With 14 rds at hand I feel confident.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have just received an e-mail from someone who reads this forum who stated (in rather crude terms) that a "real" man carries a .45 caliber 1911 pistols. He said that carrying anything else puts you, and anyone you have to protect, in danger. Sigh.....

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I have just received an e-mail from someone who reads this forum who stated (in rather crude terms) that a "real" man carries a .45 caliber 1911 pistols. He said that carrying anything else puts you, and anyone you have to protect, in danger. Sigh.....
Krag,
Let's see the email....just protect the name of the sender to protect the innocent! I need a good laugh today!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Bet he doesn't go near the water with his Glock, although, the tennifer finish is supposed to be very durable, it won't last long in salt water. Florida Marine Patrol officers carry Glocks and are not allowed to service them themselves. The departmental armorer must clean and service them. I knew of one officer who went to the range for his anual qualification shoot and the gun would not fire. The armorer opened it up and the internals were rusted solid. When I go to the beach I drop my J frame Smith into one of those press and seal type sandwich bags before sticking it in my pocket and it stays nice and dry.

I took my Glocks with me many times (25-30) on fishing trips around Florida with my Father-In-Law. I have also taken it canoeing out on Biscayne Bay. I never saw any rust on them, much to my surprise as I neglected the hell out of those things!

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,384 Posts
I call B.S. on a Dept armorer being the only ones allowed to clean an officers pistol. Armorers are responsible for annual inspections which require a full disassembly as well as parts replacement. They have much better things to do than clean up an officers own handgun. I can just imagine a Dept with any number of officers having them all show up with their dirty guns after a shoot and saying....Oh, armorer please clean my gun because I'm to stupid or not trustworthy enough to do it myself!!! I was an armorer for almost twenty years. I found that a large number of officers don't clean their guns after they shoot them. We had Glocks and even with this lack of care we rarely had problems.

Regarding the Glock Tennifer finish. It is a very durable finish. I would bet big bucks that the Officer with the "rusted" pistol dropped his Glock in salt water and NEVER rinsed it out. If you have salt water in any intricate steel mechanism it will eventually corrode it to the point it will not function. Any firearm would probably not function if subjected to this kind of treatment.

·
Registered
770 Posts
My choice has always been a 1911 in .45acp. My wife has gone from a 9mm and J frame to a P245 as her only carry gun. She feels better carrying a .45 with less comfort than a 9 or .38 that is easier to carry. I guess we are not very good at following trends.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts