Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ronin48
Posted - 10/27/2003 : 7:58:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can/will someone(s) comment on when Beretta began Carcano manufacture, SN prefixes used, models made, etc? In other words, write an article for the Military Rifle Jouranl. Seriously, would like the above questions answered, article is optional.

Douglas I. Kerley
Posted - 10/27/2003 : 10:40:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI; I'm not up to the task. I did note a stamped PB on the left side of a carbine stock I was putting away. Never noticed one there before. Doug

Drew
Posted - 10/27/2003 : 11:40:07 PM
Well I don't know too much but I can give you the info on my rifle.

Beretta Gardone model 91/38
Serial # UB30XX
Cal. 6.5
Manufature date. 1940 XVII

Also the stock is marked onthe left side with the letters PG.

Carcano
Posted - 10/30/2003 : 06:37:04 AM
Beretta-made M 91 long rifles are indeed rare. They have been reported from 1936 and 1941, e.g. The latter one I have seen myself. Excellent finish.

Clay
Posted - 10/30/2003 : 5:56:38 PM
I have one on the trader now
Beretta 1931 three digit A suffix serial number.
91/28 TS.

1) Italian 91/28 TS carbine by Beretta dated 1931. Matching numbers. Early low serial number. Late 50's import marked MADE IN ITALY. Cartouche on buttstock with an additional 1/2" round cartouche between the "normal" one and the serial number. It is Italian Navy marked in the stock. Strong bore (dirty). Gain twist rifling. HOLD
Clay
[email protected]
[email protected]

intense55
Posted - 11/15/2003 : 6:47:47 PM
Email sent on 1 and 2.

Carcano
Posted - 12/26/2003 : 11:24:03 AM
Wilson's Beretta book mentions and pictures the rifles and carbines, but in such a superficial way, that the info is not worth much. It's a coffee table and company glorification book, not a scholarly research work.

It appears that Beretta's M 91 long rifles were made for the UITS (Italian Target Shooting Union), rather than for the military. Anyone have more reliable information ?

GjMan
Posted - 12/27/2003 : 1:40:54 PM
For what it's worth, I have two Berettas; an M91/28 TS 6.5 with the hex barrel shank dated 1938 (musta been one of the last ones made), and a 1939-dated Cav Carb in 7.35. These are the only two Beretta-made Carcs I have ever seen in my part of the country. I don't have SN prefixes just now, but can post them later if anyone is interested.

Carcano
Posted - 12/27/2003 : 1:55:47 PM
GjMan: we would *much* appreciate the full serial numbers and data on both guns. The Moschetto TS 91/28 from 1938 would probably bear a "B" letter prefix, or even an early "C", while the 7,35mm M 1938 cavalry carbine might have an "F" or an "E".

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Drew
Posted - 10/27/2003 : 11:43:04 PM

I just noticed my Beretta Carcano model 91/38 has the letters PG stamped into the left side of the stock. Does anyone know what this means?

Franchi
Posted - 11/21/2003 : 11:31:07 AM
I have seen M38 short rifle stocks marked "PB" "PG" "LP" etc. I believe these are the initials of inspectors who inspected the stocks. If "PB" is Pietro Beretta and is a sub-contractor marking why would Beretta be making stocks for R.E. Terni? What/who would "PG" and "LP" be? I believe "PB" is an inspector, but not Beretta, it would be someone with a name like Bernardo Piloni, as inspectors initials are usually last name first. A few years ago Sarco imported a bunch of M38 short rifle and M41 stocks (probably rejects), none (that I saw) had any "PB" "PG" etc. They were probably never "final" inspected, if the "PB" "PG" etc. are subcontracor markings these stocks should have been marked.
David Franchi

Carcano
Posted - 01/01/2004 : 10:01:54 AM
Were these Sarco stocks already numbered or cartouche marked ?

Franchi
Posted - 01/01/2004 : 8:30:20 PM
Alexander, No stock markings (no serial, no cartouche) only an inspection marking under the buttplate area (single letters). Don't know when these stocks were manufactured, could have been in the 1950's or 1960's, or?. They were new, never used. David

1 - 2 of 2 Posts