Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite the fact that Obama has been the Democratic nominee since much earlier this year, and has been President-elect for a few weeks, he has not made the Antarctic ice shelf his top priority.

As we can read, it began shrinking in the 1990's as a direct result of Bill Clinton's presidency, as he not making global warming his priority either.

Critics of Clinton and Obama (mostly being myself) believe that another Democratic administration will cause irreversible damage to the environment....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/11/29/antarctic.ice.shelf.collapse/index.html

Scientists have identified new rifts on an Antarctic ice shelf that could lead to it breaking away from the Antarctic Peninsula, the European Space Agency said.

A satellite image of the Wilkins Ice Shelf, which could break away from the Antarctic Peninsula.

The Wilkins Ice Shelf, a large sheet of floating ice south of South America, is connected to two Antarctic islands by a strip of ice. That ice "bridge" has lost around 2,000 square kilometers (about 772 square miles) so far this year, the ESA said.

A satellite image captured November 26 shows new rifts on the ice shelf that make it dangerously close to breaking away from the strip of ice -- and the islands to which it's connected, the ESA said.

Scientists first spotted rifts in the ice shelf in late February, and they noticed further deterioration the following week. The period marks the end of the South Pole summer and is the time when such events are most likely, said Ted Scambos, a glaciologist at the National Snow and Ice Data Center at the University of Colorado in Boulder.

Before the new rifts were spotted this week, the last cracks were noticed July 21.

"These new rifts, which have joined previously existing rifts on the ice shelf, threaten to break up the chunk of ice located beneath the 21 July date, which would cause the bridge to lose its stabilization and collapse," said Angelika Humbert, a scientist from Germany's Muenster University who spotted the cracks with Matthias Braun of the University of Bonn.

Don't Miss
Antarctica's hidden depths to be explored
Wilkins is the size of the state of Connecticut, or about half the area of Scotland. It is the largest ice shelf on the Antarctic Peninsula yet to be threatened.

If the ice shelf breaks away from the peninsula, it will not cause a rise in sea level because it is already floating, scientists say.

Scambos said the ice shelf is not currently on the path of the increasingly popular tourist ships that travel from South America to Antarctica. But some plants and animals may have to adapt to the collapse.

The ice shelf had been stable for most of the past century before it began retreating in the 1990s.

Several ice shelves -- Prince Gustav Channel, Larsen Inlet, Larsen A, Larsen B, Wordie, Muller and Jones -- have collapsed in the past three decades, the British Antarctic Survey said.

Scientists say the western Antarctic peninsula -- the piece of the continent that stretches toward South America -- has warmed more than any other place on Earth over the past 50 years, rising by 0.9 degrees Fahrenheit each decade.
E-mail to a friend
Share this on:
Mixx
Digg

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Oh, I don't think he'll do anything about it.

And I think the "urgency" of various environmental measures, such as taxes and carbon credits and other folderol and gimcracks is going to subside in the face of pocketbook issues.

Besides, I've predicted that when we have a Democrat president, the press doesn't seem to linger much on issues like the environment or homelessness. They only talk about that stuff when Republicans are president.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Oh, I don't think he'll do anything about it.

And I think the "urgency" of various environmental measures, such as taxes and carbon credits and other folderol and gimcracks is going to subside in the face of pocketbook issues.

Besides, I've predicted that when we have a Democrat president, the press doesn't seem to linger much on issues like the environment or homelessness. They only talk about that stuff when Republicans are president.
Democrats talk and scold others about these issues and step forward and take the credit for someone else's work after someone else (usually one of those evil large corporation people or entities) does the real work for them.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I believe this to have been a major factor in republicans and independents not voting for McCain this time around. A lot of people, myself included though I voted anyway, have been so overcome by the drumbeat of anti-administration propaganda that in the back of their minds they were ready to let the Democrats have their way for awhile. Sort of a "let baby have its bottle" sentiment.

After a couple of years of single party rule the Democrats will have alienated most of those that voted for Obama this time around. They'll probably start losing seats then, and by 2012 the power shift will have completed its cycle and the Democrats will be out in the cold for another 8 years or so.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,940 Posts
Funny they don't mention the artic - where, in the last 4 months, 10 years of melting have been reversed.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
You mean Bush's inaction, don't you Eric? After all not only is he still president, he's well known for inaction. When he's not making decisions in panic mode that is.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You mean Bush's inaction, don't you Eric? After all not only is he still president, he's well known for inaction. When he's not making decisions in panic mode that is.

...this joke kinda' went right over your head there, didn't it...

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
...this joke kinda' went right over your head there, didn't it...
It didn't, I just thought I would throw in a dash of reality. At least I didn't mention the carrier task force, Task Force Big Giant Staple Gun, Bush dispatched to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Funny they don't mention the artic - where, in the last 4 months, 10 years of melting have been reversed.
The Greenhouse gases fanatics lost all credibility when they dismissed the Medieval Warming Period.

Their most vocal and supposedly credible advocate is a top dog at NASA. Recently his co-workers have complained that he has been ignoring information on increased solar forcing to keep the greenhouse gases manta alive.

Dr Hansen's latest Global Warming Myth de-bunked.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/11/16/do1610.xml

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Lets all chip in and send Benn Gunn to the Sun with a water tanker to cool it down.:rolleyes:

On the practical side, Benn, why not tell China, Russia, India, and the rest of the major producers of your greenhouse gas to cut back?

Remember the Olympics? The chinese had to shut down factories and just about ban cars from the area so the athletes could see where they were going!

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lets all chip in and send Benn Gunn to the Sun with a water tanker to cool it down.:rolleyes:

On the practical side, Benn, why not tell China, Russia, India, and the rest of the major producers of your greenhouse gas to cut back?

Remember the Olympics? The chinese had to shut down factories and just about ban cars from the area so the athletes could see where they were going!
Yeah, Ben's timing could not have been better on this thread if I had timed it. :)

If anyone hates America more than Ben, I'd like to know who it is.

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
I believe Obama will be VERY Active on this issue......He's gonna pounce on the Environmental issue and throw lots of funding at it.....using our Higher Taxes to pay for it.......

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I believe Obama will be VERY Active on this issue......He's gonna pounce on the Environmental issue and throw lots of funding at it.....using our Higher Taxes to pay for it.......
You should be very pleased...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
42,216 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that nobody REALLY knows what is going on with the planet's climate?

Earth is what.... 4 or 5 billion years old? We have been keeping weather records for about 130 years?..... That's like watching the last .010 of a second of a movie, and trying to tell people what it was about.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,940 Posts
He has to pounce on it. In another two or three years, the argument for global COOLING will be so strong that no amount of data cherry picking and scurrying the globe to find something, somewhere, that's melting will be able to refute it.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Forget the environment.

What I'm looking forward to is around late March or April we get to start referring to this as "The Obama Economy". If memory serves, Clinton partisans and people still bitter over Gore's recent loss in 2000 started referring to it as "The Bush Economy" about two or three months into his presidency.

Precedent is precedent...

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
It didn't, I just thought I would throw in a dash of reality. At least I didn't mention the carrier task force, Task Force Big Giant Staple Gun, Bush dispatched to solve the problem.
Where the fantasy of Global Warming is concerned, there is little reality. They can trace some amonts of cooling, but nothing indicates that it is truly caused by man. Everytime there is a shift in data away from the predictions of doom, the Global Warmers scramble to come up with a whole new line of BS about how nasty man is to the global environment.

Never mind that it is all natural, traceable on geological scales, and polar axis shifting and the Earth merrily twirls on while little humans try to elevate themselves into Godhood.

Nothing is proven. All that has gone on is crying, wailing and threatening, but no science. You can't create science by vote, the facts have to stand on their own, and the Globalists seem annoyed that all their predictions of coming ice ages, coming warmings and all manner of lunacy keep changing from generation to generation.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Despite the fact that Obama has been the Democratic nominee since much earlier this year, and has been President-elect for a few weeks, he has not made the Antarctic ice shelf his top priority.

As we can read, it began shrinking in the 1990's as a direct result of Bill Clinton's presidency, as he not making global warming his priority either.

Critics of Clinton and Obama (mostly being myself) believe that another Democratic administration will cause irreversible damage to the environment....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/11/29/antarctic.ice.shelf.collapse/index.html

Scientists have identified new rifts on an Antarctic ice shelf that could lead to it breaking away from the Antarctic Peninsula, the European Space Agency said.

A satellite image of the Wilkins Ice Shelf, which could break away from the Antarctic Peninsula.

The Wilkins Ice Shelf, a large sheet of floating ice south of South America, is connected to two Antarctic islands by a strip of ice. That ice "bridge" has lost around 2,000 square kilometers (about 772 square miles) so far this year, the ESA said.

A satellite image captured November 26 shows new rifts on the ice shelf that make it dangerously close to breaking away from the strip of ice -- and the islands to which it's connected, the ESA said.

Scientists first spotted rifts in the ice shelf in late February, and they noticed further deterioration the following week. The period marks the end of the South Pole summer and is the time when such events are most likely, said Ted Scambos, a glaciologist at the National Snow and Ice Data Center at the University of Colorado in Boulder.

Before the new rifts were spotted this week, the last cracks were noticed July 21.

"These new rifts, which have joined previously existing rifts on the ice shelf, threaten to break up the chunk of ice located beneath the 21 July date, which would cause the bridge to lose its stabilization and collapse," said Angelika Humbert, a scientist from Germany's Muenster University who spotted the cracks with Matthias Braun of the University of Bonn.

Don't Miss
Antarctica's hidden depths to be explored
Wilkins is the size of the state of Connecticut, or about half the area of Scotland. It is the largest ice shelf on the Antarctic Peninsula yet to be threatened.

If the ice shelf breaks away from the peninsula, it will not cause a rise in sea level because it is already floating, scientists say.

Scambos said the ice shelf is not currently on the path of the increasingly popular tourist ships that travel from South America to Antarctica. But some plants and animals may have to adapt to the collapse.

The ice shelf had been stable for most of the past century before it began retreating in the 1990s.

Several ice shelves -- Prince Gustav Channel, Larsen Inlet, Larsen A, Larsen B, Wordie, Muller and Jones -- have collapsed in the past three decades, the British Antarctic Survey said.

Scientists say the western Antarctic peninsula -- the piece of the continent that stretches toward South America -- has warmed more than any other place on Earth over the past 50 years, rising by 0.9 degrees Fahrenheit each decade.
E-mail to a friend
Share this on:
Mixx
Digg
I'll bet the reason you really dislike him is because he wishes have an NCAA college football playoff which would really wreck the BCS Zero-U propaganda machine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts