Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obama's Treasury Department's new sanctions against Russia, just posted, include seizing the US assets of the Kalashnikov Concern, maker of Saigas and other products.
http://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/Pages/jl2572.aspx

Obviously this inclusion is just an antigun move, as US imports of items like Stoli vodka generate vastly more sales and hard cash, while Europe buys 400 billion Euros of energy from Russia every year and hasn't joined these sanctions and won't. The Administration has, as usual, tried to use an unfortunate event to push forward their anti-gun agenda. Ask yourself which would cost Russia more, banning vodka exports to the US or banning Saiga rifle exports?

The US assets of the Kalashnikov Concern (the Izhmash Arms Factories, once makers of the Izhevsk Mosins and the old Kalashnikov AK-47 military line) in the US are fairly miniscule, so Russia will not be hurt, but the company making the rifles will be, as they counted on US sales of sporting rifles and shotguns to help them emerge from bankruptcy filing.

"Kalashnikov Concern produces a number of military weapons, including multiple grades and versions of assault rifles, grenade launchers, sniper rifles, military shotguns, and aircraft cannons. Kalashnikov Concern is the largest firearms producer in Russia and is a subsidiary of Russia’s State Corporation of Russian Technologies (Rostec). "

(Yes, this is a "sniper forum" thread, as .308 Saigas with a scope rail definitely fall into that category of interest.)

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,278 Posts
Andrew Cuomo banned them in NY I have been told.

My guess is prices go way up. Until Remington's, southern plant, fills the niche with a product..LOL

could be the end of Russian surplus ammo too.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is what Kalashnikov supplies, copied from another post by sagebrush:

"Kalashnikov Concerns" consists of:

- JSC ‘NPO ‘IZHMASH’
- JSC ‘Izhevski mashzavod’
- ‘Koshkin Automatic line design bureau’ JSC
- ‘Klimov Special Ammunition Plant’
- JSC ‘NITI Progress’
- JSC ‘Molot’
- JSC ‘Izhevsky Mekhanichesky Zavod’

You'll see MOLOT on the list, no more VEPRS or MOLOT snipers and other MOLOT C&Rs as well as no more Saiga rifles or shotguns. I don't know what ammo is made by them.

·
Registered
21,278 Posts
How many times do we have to go through this panic nonsense till calmer heads prevail ?

I already have a email from a vendor hawking "Last Chance to buy" rhetoric again.

I am not participating , feel free to panic without me.

·
Silver Bullet Member
6,559 Posts
Have all of the recent batches of M91/30 rifles been coming out of MOLOT? This will prevent those imports as well, unfortunately. I know in the past, lots of these Mosin Nagant rifles came from other Countries (Ukraine for example) and not directly from Russia, but it seems that lately most have been coming straight out of Russian. :(

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The really stupid part is that the US State Department still will keep buying tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars worth of Russian ammo and weapons for our allies in Iraq and Afghanistan and elsewhere who prefer Russian weapons. This is all just show, as we won't cut off the Russian Novosibirsk ammo for our allies or their weapons.

·
Registered
309 Posts
There is so much Russian 54r commercially warehoused in the US, the only thing that is going to drive the price of ammo up is foolish panic buying. Alternate sources for 54r surplus ... Albania, Romania, Bulgaria, Czech ... all still importable ... no real crisis, just panic buying like toilet paper and milk before a snow storm in the east

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.