Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmmmm.....I wonder if he includes Assault Weapon owners in that little pledge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Obama: Don't stock up on guns

December 8, 2008

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter
As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.
"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

But National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said it's not Obama's words — but his legislative track record — that has gun-buyers flocking to the stores.

"Prior to his campaign for president, his record as a state legislator and as a U.S. Senator shows he voted for the most stringent forms of gun control, the most Draconian legislation, gun bans, ammunition bans and even an increase in federal excise taxes up to 500 percent for every gun and firearm sold," Arulanandam said.

Obama answered "yes" in 1996 to a questionnaire from an Illinois group on whether he supported a handgun ban. But he later said a staffer filled out that answer and he did not support a ban.

Nationally, background checks for gun purchases jumped nearly 49 percent during the week Obama was elected, compared with the same time period last year, according to the FBI's National Instant Background Check System.

Anecdotally, gun dealers around the country have reported spikes in sales. The Illinois State Rifle Association Reports gun sales for November were 38 percent higher than last year.

"We don't dispute [the gun sales hike] because the numbers from the federal system certainly confirm that there is increased activity out there. We just think it's a bit stupid," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.

"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
72,665 Posts
What's wrong with buying a few guns and some ammo. It keeps the economy going.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What's wrong with buying a few guns and some ammo. It keeps the economy going.
That's right! Near as I can tell, the "Obama surge" in gun sales and election memorabilia sales are about the only bright spots on the ecconomic front.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The problem with the surge in gun buying that is now being reported is that gun sales next year (or maybe next 2 or 3) even without more draconian controls will be abysmal because people bought them all before the new Prez takes over. This all happened with Clinton. So the gun makers are happy now but they won't be in a year or two.
But as was pointed out, any sales at all is a good thing.
(Did anybody ever hear a consistent story of how good, or how bad, Black Friday was this year? Our media is just so credible.)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
obama telling us not to stock up..........

Good to keep on buying in my book..... seems like we caught his attention!!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
obama telling us not to stock up..........

Good to keep on buying in my book..... seems like we caught his attention!!!!

Agreed. Obama is many things but he isn't stupid. He learned from Slick Willie's mistakes and he has other more pressing issues to concern him. I wouldn't worry too much, I'd just keep buying what you can afford and keep your eyes, ears, and mind open.

JAK

·
Registered
757 Posts
It dovetales nicely with the new gun control agenda that has come out or developed when the ban the gun crowd became aware they were going to loose Heller. Opinion polls somewhere in the 70-80% range have for years said americans believe there is a right to keep and bear arms. Opinion polls have also shown a generally high negative view of gun control organizations. Repaint and reframe your arguement in the context of the Heller decision where you try to make your agenda fit inside the legal framework and arguements to make your agenda acceptable and in fact constitutional. Very clever deal here being played en masse from the otherside.
Heller as written by most accounts leaves a lot of wiggle room for later interpretation as to what is reasonable regulations and in the definition of what constitutes especially dangerous weapons or whatever enteresting language they use in the case. The legal interpretation appears big enough with a liberal judge to drive certain types of gun bans through as "especially dangerous" weapons. Read bans on .50cal, assault weapons(sic), small handguns etc. if read and interpreted correctly. Obama's statement fits perfectly with this agenda.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I got a bunch of early Christmas presents this year. Some of the family had been reading about the rush and bought up plenty of ammo in calibers they knew I use. They don't even own any guns themselves but they wanted to be sure I had plenty of ammo should it become scarce.

Though they aren't gun owners I've taught them to shoot and basic gun safety. If a SHTF situation ever did come up they know where to come.

I haven't felt the urge to buy anything lately, too many deals I couldn't pass up have already come my way in the last year or so, and I just don't have room for more stuff.
With christmas coming on I'll spend my cash on presents for the family. When everyone comes in for Christmas it looks like a church picnic around here. Five generations under one roof.

·
Administrator
18,247 Posts
Sure Obama thinks it's a bad idea for people to spend their money on guns now because then the money can't be used in other ways to boost the economy. He's going to try to take them away from us anyway and it will just be a waste of money that could have been spent elsewhere.

·
Banned
3,626 Posts
I just picked up the New Ruger Charger 10/22......comes with a Bipod and a laser dot scope.....Great deal at $300
Also just picked up a AR parts kit (complete) and a stripped lower.....gonna build my first one.....

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
A couple of questions:

1. In the recent campaign both major candidates lied constantly and blatantly. Obama was the clear winner in the whopper race with his claim that tax cuts and tax credits would go to 95% of us, even if we didn't pay taxes, and somehow it would be funded by a tax increase only affecting those earning over $250,000. About 15 minutes of calculations would result in the discovery that they'd need a tax rate of 200% or so to do that. Does Obama think we are all idiots?

2. Or does Obama, by the recent election results, know that a clear majority of us are idiots, so he can say anything, get away with it, and just ignore the minority who don't believe him?

·
72,665 Posts
The problem with the surge in gun buying that is now being reported is that gun sales next year (or maybe next 2 or 3) even without more draconian controls will be abysmal because people bought them all before the new Prez takes over. This all happened with Clinton. So the gun makers are happy now but they won't be in a year or two.
But as was pointed out, any sales at all is a good thing.
The same will apply to the gun stores -feast now and go out of business in a year or so when sales are down.

One store I am familiar with was having problems, due to low demand, before the recent buying panic. Right now he is doing goo, but on the downside the demand (after the feast) will be less than before and he will probably go out of business.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i believe politicians in general are aware that the general public is ignorant and naive and i agree. bill clinton being elected to a second term is proof positive of this i believe. much of the public itself has an immoral, anything goes outlook on life. therefore the don't hold their politicians to high standards. i am not talking about you and i. but the crowd you see on the nightly news standing behind someone being interviewed and waving like a retard.

A couple of questions:

1. In the recent campaign both major candidates lied constantly and blatantly. Obama was the clear winner in the whopper race with his claim that tax cuts and tax credits would go to 95% of us, even if we didn't pay taxes, and somehow it would be funded by a tax increase only affecting those earning over $250,000. About 15 minutes of calculations would result in the discovery that they'd need a tax rate of 200% or so to do that. Does Obama think we are all idiots?

2. Or does Obama, by the recent election results, know that a clear majority of us are idiots, so he can say anything, get away with it, and just ignore the minority who don't believe him?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
waving LIKE a retard? those people are MY neighbors and they ARE retards!:D

·
72,665 Posts
He is just a politician like all other politicians,

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
what do you guys think oslama's motivation is in this regard? since he already won the election why should he give a poot about us one way or the other? since we all know that politicians are cold blooded, calculating deviants................what is his angle on this?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts