Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a M96 rifle made in 1916, 390,XXX SN range with what appears to be an arsenal oak stock - light colored, heavy as all get out, straight close grain.

Anyone know anything about such a beast? Heard of Elm and other woods but not oak.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
8,967 Posts
Oak Stock ?????

There are reports of " oak stocks " on Swedish mausers , but no one has come forward with any proof . More than likely you have an " elm " stock , as the wood type is often misidentified as oak . Can you post photos of your stock ?

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
If there were oak stocks we would've seen one by now. I'll bet $1 its elm. Has to be.

Dutchman

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm

I will get a pic up this weekend - much lighter than elm and has that golden color of oak.

·
1,295 Posts
Not trying to be a smart a$$, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be beech.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could look somewhat like the last elm picture (the one that is kind of rough with the red band) but is much lighter than that.

Really don't believe it is beech (based on my Danish M1 experience). Like I said - I'll get pics up ASAP

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
While you are at it, remove the buttplate and get a pic of the end grain. That will tell much. Looking for "rays" off of the main grain structure. DDR

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
pics

Ok - indoor flash pics - not the best. Outdoors it really looks almost like maple as far as color goes - little to none of the flaming that shows in the pics. Didn't get the end grain, if this doesn't do it I will try to get that. Now that I look at the pics, some of the "flaming" does make it look like beech.

·
2,661 Posts
I can see how it would be confusing if you haven't seen a lot of them but this is a beech stock that's been sanded and left unstained. The handiwork of Bubba.

Dutchman

·
1,295 Posts
I am no expert, but I concur with Dutchman. The series of "crescent moons" present in beech is always the giveaway to me. They just seem harder to spot on unstained wood, but I do believe I see them in the pics of the butt.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am no expert, but I concur with Dutchman. The series of "crescent moons" present in beech is always the giveaway to me. They just seem harder to spot on unstained wood, but I do believe I see them in the pics of the butt.
Yup. I'm no expert either, but I noticed the same cresent moons on the comb... a dead giveaway revealing a beech stock. Perhaps we can encourage Eric to remove the stock to see if it does indeed match the 1916 receiver.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Looks like the same guy did that to my stock. It took awhile to darken it back up.. Beech is fairly stain resistant...
Under the brass disk on mine it was really white..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good info

So where do I find the stock SN if I take the rifle apart (in the barrel channel?). Wasn't worried it was a "collectable" or anything, just interested to know (bought it at a nice price for a great shooter).

It hasn't been sanded much (wood is still "proud" of the metal at buttplate etc.) and is oiled - not some "modern" poly finish. What did they stain Beech stocks with if I want to make it look original?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Should be a number in the lower barrel channel just ahead of the action and in the upper handguard inside the barrel channel.

MEK and or something like that can be used to strip away the color and stain from a rifle stock. With some steaming and steel wool as a follow up it does not appear to be sanded. I did that to several national match M-1 Garands and a few M-14s for the base shooting team.

I used cherry stain as a base and then followed up with some golden oak stain on my recently obtained rifle that arrived with a stock that looked just like yours. I had to wipe it down with denatured alcohol to get some sort of clear wax finish off the wood first.

It still is not dark enough, that Beech wood is pretty dense.
At least it now has a sort of red-brown color top it. It used to be white..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts