Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the folks on the Winchester board never show up or if they do they ignore requests so I figured I would post here.

I will be attending a local auction coming up.
Were the mod 70 rifles drilled and tapped for a scope or peep site?

I need to know the value of:

Winchester Model 70 30.06
Winchester Model 70 300 magnum
Winchester .22 magnum automatic
Ruger 44 magnum
Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum

I don't know if the rifles are pre '64.
Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well, considering you can get brand-new Winchester Mod70's in the ballpark of $600-900 in most common U.S. calibers, I'd consider about $600 to be my ceiling for a used rifle (unless it was HIGHLY accurized). Of course, if they do turn out to be pre-'64, you can expect to pay a little bit of a premium, but even then I wouldn't be able to justify spending more than about $750, personally.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok...now,,,

so the earlier the better, i guess prior ww2 is best. but would magnums draw considerably higher amounts over standard calibers like the 30.06?

thanks

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,126 Posts
A lot will depend on who shows up at the auction. If you get a bunch that thinks "bigger is better", they will focus on the magnums.

IMO, either of the model 70's would make good rifles for any NA game. Since I have enough hunting rifles, and a low budget, I would probably top out around $400 on either of them.

The Ruger Redhawk will likely go around $300 plus.

Not sure of the others.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
As far as features go, the only real price difference between calibrations is dependent on action length. A .300 Win Mag will probably cost more than a .308 Win, but don't be surprised if a .300 WSM is the same price as the .308 (if that makes any sense). Barrel contour, stock composition/design, finish, factory accurization, etc. will make the difference in cost. If you have two otherwise identical rifles that are each chambered in, say, .30'06 and .25'06, you can expect to pay about the same price for both.

I hope that I haven't muddied it up for you! :D

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i figured i would go in with some kind of reference. i found a site that all you have to do is punch in the serial number and the year pops up when it was made. pre 64 are serial numbers under 700,000.

early post war still has the decent checkering and holds good value. later checkering is less desirable i guess.

thanks for the info guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts