Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I can understand the "failing to register assault weapons" or whatever other items requiring registration as something to get charged with, but what is the issue with "illegal possession of two double-barreled shotguns, two 12-gauge shotguns and a Browning rifle" or the "unlawful possession of 28 guns" in general. Unless he was for some reason already prohibited from having any at all.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
I can understand the "failing to register assault weapons" or whatever other items requiring registration as something to get charged with, but what is the issue with "illegal possession of two double-barreled shotguns, two 12-gauge shotguns and a Browning rifle" or the "unlawful possession of 28 guns" in general. Unless he was for some reason already prohibited from having any at all.
He is a resident of NJ :eek:, even BB guns have to be registered there :mad:

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Communist State of NJ

If you live in NJ it would all be clear as the rules there violate the 2nd amendment and many other rights of the normal citizens. If you sneeze twice there you need a permit or they are going to license it or try and regulate it in some way or another. I am truly ashamed to have been born there but proud to not live there anymore. Everytime I go back I regret not moving out at an earlier age then I did. The attitude of that article reflects the conditions that are fostered by the press and the state government. They are the true picture of what happens when a state gets carried away with laws when they couldn't enforce the ones they had to begin with! High Taxes, High cost of living, and low services from the state with little or nothing in them provided without a cost. Only thing they have good is their gas tax is lowest in the nation I believe but don't worry I hear they are fixing to raise that! Everytime I go back, which isn't often, I realize how lucky I am to not live there anymore! Bill

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
From the article: "Authorities aren't releasing details about the circumstances of Waller's arrest Friday or why he allegedly owned so many weapons."

There shouldn't need to be any reason other than "I want to". However, the very fact that the state doesn't want him to own them is a more than valid reason IMO.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
You do not need to register long arms in NJ. You do need to be in possession of a Firearms ID card that allows you to possess and purchase rifles and shotguns.

As to the MAK, there are no - no's in NJ. If its on the banned list, don’t own it! Believe me, I would love to own an M1 Carbine, but alas... :(

·
Silver Bullet member
181 Posts
I'm with zeebill. Plus, save for the grace of god there go I.

I moved to NJ with my firearms, unaware of the State law regarding the requirement that *I* become licensed to own those firearms.

Being a "good citizen" (read, a fool), I tried - THREE TIMES - to apply for, pay for and receive my NJ firearms license. Three times, at my expense and time off from work, I went to the NJ State Police barracks near Clinton, NJ. And all three times, even though I called ahead, the one and ONLY officer who could take my application "wasn't present."

NJ, it's not what you know, it's who you know. I wasn't "connected" and the troopers were gonna be damned if I would be allowed to "get legal."

So, for over 10 years I lived as a felon. I'm out of that State now, never to return.

·
Registered
471 Posts
More than likely the sks had a detachable aftermarket mag...otherwise it would be legal. The sks is one of the few military type firearms allowed in NJ. They "allow" 15 round FIXED mags. The fearsome M1 carbine thus is not allowed with its 15 round detachable.

Shotguns probably had shortened barrels or else the man just plain didn't have his firearms owner's permit.

Folks are leaving NJ in droves if the license plates I see on the highway driving around Raleigh are any indication.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
FID cards are issued by the police department in your home town, not the State Police. I am surprised that they didnt tell you that. By law, they need to return your application within 90 days.

Yes the law is difficult to interpret.. thank God I have a law background!

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
Jersey born and raised. It has many faults.. but its home.

·
Silver Bullet member
181 Posts
FID cards are issued by the police department in your home town, not the State Police. I am surprised that they didnt tell you that. By law, they need to return your application within 90 days.

Yes the law is difficult to interpret.. thank God I have a law background!
Unless you have no police department, then it's the trooper's that do it. Bloomsbury, NJ has no cop, the borough is patrolled by the State Police.

(Edit)The State cop assigned to the FID cards was never "present" at the barracks to GIVE me an application. No app, no chance to apply. And NONE of the other troopers would give me an application. I checked out the law thoroughly, and the only place I could legally go for the application was the Clinton barracks.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
66,380 Posts
You do not need to register long arms in NJ. You do need to be in possession of a Firearms ID card that allows you to possess and purchase rifles and shotguns.

As to the MAK, there are no - no's in NJ. If its on the banned list, don’t own it! Believe me, I would love to own an M1 Carbine, but alas... :(

I don't think it would be wise for me to move to New Jersey. Thinking back years ago, I dated a girl from Woodbridge. Almost married her. Now I am glad I did not.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Ike Thank God I have a law backround? Should that be a prerequired to live in the USA? I think not! Thank God I don't live in NJ! I was born in Hackensack and raised in North and South Jersey and have seen both ends of the state for over 35 years. I would say even I had enough sense to up and leave at the urging of my now Ex who was born and raised in Pa. so she saw what was happening and didn't like it at all. Looking back now I am ashamed at what the politicians and lawyers have done to the state the way they are driving people out in droves! It is virtually impossible to retire comfortably there as the cost of living will only support working people. Living in West Virginia I see maybe two to three new people a month from NJ who have fled the Chaos I once called home! Yes Thank God I don't live there anymore and really hate to go back! Bill

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,960 Posts
Ok.. enough with the NJ bashing.

Yes, its a corrupt state.. and run by liberal democrats, but so are many others.

I have an extensive collection and as long as you are aware of the restrictions and their interpretations then you can live, shoot, hunt and fish in this state.

Again, I concede the point as to a high cost of living and being taxed to death but I am glad I live here and would rather stay and get the bad politicians out! I am not going to quit!

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
The Republik of New Jerskie ...
Regulations are so confusing and convoluted no one can figure them out, which includes the NJSP firearms section that enforces them.
Don't call and ask ... they are so lost, they need a guide dog to find the bathroom.
Despite a very Left leaning court system, there have been recent decisions by the courts that have overturned some of them as "Making no sense what-so-ever". They slammed the "Look-a-like Law" harshly (Looks like something on the stone tablets of the banned list) and told them it must be specifically named by brand, model, etc. in the statute.

Good news, rumor has it that when the Supremes rule, and that ruling is favorable, the NRA has a host of suits ready to rock NJ hard!
Everything is on hold pending the decision.

One of the first will be an all out attack on the "30 days" defined by statute for processing Firearms ID and pistol purchase applications wherein NJSP and local police departments are going to be taken to task for routinely violating this provision in the law.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts