Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Is it better than WD40 for loosening surface rust?
Blows it out of the water! The first time I ever used it was many years ago while we were doing a teardown on a locomotive brake testing dyno. We poured Kroil on stuck bolts right from the gallon and it worked faster than the guys using torches. (We didn't have to pay for the Kroil ;) )
I found with surface rust, a 50/50 mix of Kroil and Hoppes No9 makes the work much easier without damaging the remaining bluing.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Blows it out of the water! The first time I ever used it was many years ago while we were doing a teardown on a locomotive brake testing dyno. We poured Kroil on stuck bolts right from the gallon and it worked faster than the guys using torches. (We didn't have to pay for the Kroil ;) )
I found with surface rust, a 50/50 mix of Kroil and Hoppes No9 makes the work much easier without damaging the remaining bluing.
That is a neat trick, never heard of mixing those 2 things. Kroil is awesome for getting stuck stuff loose, never tried it on rust for the sake of dealing with rust (just on rust to get it apart).

Not a fan of WD, unless you actually have a moisture problem. WD pushes water out and away if you have some sort of dampness, and I am not sure kroil does that precisely.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after a lot of phone calls and e-mails I finally got some Kroil, a 1 gallon tin (at about 4 times what it cost in the US).There is only 1 distributor in Australia ( Furmanite) , and as far as they know there is no-one here retailing it. All their stock goes to heavy industries like mining and refining. I could buy a gallon tin or a case of spray cans (12 cans 10oz total $360). They are aware shooters use it , but we need to convince a shop or club to stock it . Another problem is Aust Post wont carry it because it is a pressure pack and flammable.

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Well after a lot of phone calls and e-mails I finally got some Kroil, a 1 gallon tin (at about 4 times what it cost in the US).There is only 1 distributor in Australia ( Furmanite) , and as far as they know there is no-one here retailing it. All their stock goes to heavy industries like mining and refining. I could buy a gallon tin or a case of spray cans (12 cans 10oz total $360). They are aware shooters use it , but we need to convince a shop or club to stock it . Another problem is Aust Post wont carry it because it is a pressure pack and flammable.

Do you guys have any national mail-order sellers who's main business is catering to outdoorsmen & shooters? Similar to outfits like our Midway up here. If enough people submit the requests they might decide to handle 1/2 liter tins which are more affordable and easier to ship.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
I tried that mix. Unless you keep it aggitated the acetone seperates and evaporates quickly. Thus leaving you with little more than contaminated ATF.
+1...I ended up biting the bullet and hunting down some Kroil. It got through the breech plug of an old muzzle loader so quickly that I figured there was a crack or hole somewhere. There wasn't.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.