Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shown a couple of PU snipers today. One was a very nice Hungarian the other a 1944 Izhevsk. With the exception of the laminate stock the Izhevsk looked like a typical refurb. The original scope # had been ground off the left side of the barrel shank , the scope showed a refurb date and the scope mount was ep'd. The rifle has an ДГ prefix and the receiver and bolt matched ( I believe the mag cover and buttplate matched as well). It showed a bit of surface pitting and the owner told me it was a papered VN bringback. What I noticed what looked like three NVA Star/1 stamps on the receiver , mount and stock. Has anyone ever see this before? Here are some pics , apologies for the poor quality.

Len

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
14,176 Posts
I have not seen those markings on a legit VN sniper. Of course I have no were near seen it all. I would look at the paperwork very carefully, and it is more suspect with those markings and the paperwork than without either IMO. The markings look new and added to enhance it to me. It is possible but I have never seen such an item in person nor posted on this forum.

A Hungarian rifle would be much more convincing since so many out of Nam were M-52s.

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,745 Posts
Couple things, Nicest bring back rifle of any kind that I have seen come out of RVN. (I sent a Tok pistol and an SKS home in terrible condition, and the best I could find!) New looking Laminated stock? Looks like someone took a Star stamp and added a 1 inside, note the receiver star (pic 4) the 1 looks off. As Mike mentions, The star markings look way to "crisp" compared to the rest of the rifle, and seems someone went stamp happy. If the paperwork does happen to match (if real) it still wouldn't prove the Star/1 wasn't added later. Which in this case, in my opinion, may have devalued rather than enhanced the value. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
With concerns noted by expertise above, I'd not pay more than market price for that "NVA" PU sniper.
Of the two, I 'd rather have the Hungarian. Don't see many of these pop up.

Not an expert on markings but my thoughts mirrored the other comments when I merely looked at the photos.

If the NVA hammered a proof on any weapon, they sent those to places and knuckleheads far far from me in that war.
I never saw any NVA proofed weapons but hey, I was perhaps at all the wrong places at the wrong times to find one.

If they did, some guys with long history of what right looks like will come along shortly and comment.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments fellas. I thought it unlikely to be legit as well. I probably won't get a crack at buying either since a good friend of the owner has first dibs.

Len

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have two legit rifles with star-1 added later. One rifle has one added star stamp (receiver) and the other has two (one one the receiver and the other on the buttstock). I've seen a few others in the past but never really paid that much attention to the strikes back then, so I don't much recall them. These markings do seem a bit "off" but I'd still really like to see the docs if possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.