Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my DDR hobbies is collecting handbuchs of the NVA/MdI/Grenz....
the hardest to find seem to be the Volksmarine and Luftstreitkrafte jobs...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yup, Dave you are undisputed King of NVA handbooks! I have one you may not have seen, although it might not be classified as a handbook. It is Grundwissen des Militarfliegers published in 1989 by Militarverlag der DDR. Kevin

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...
I'll have to keep looking....
as far as handbuchs...
a couple weeks back 2 were listed on ebay.de that I'd never seen B4

·
Registered
211 Posts
am interested in more info on handbuchs... i only have grundwissen auflage 18, but am looking to get another couple.

what are the main difference between NVA and kampfgruppen editions?

is there a handbuch for tank/afv crews, or were they issued the standard grundwissen?

were the vinyl ring-bound editions only issued early on, or only for certain titles?

btw dave, your collection looks amazing - have seen a few pics on the old forums and would like to see more :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scanning forever

How long do you think it would take to scan all of those?

1 month? 1 year?
Most handbuchs run 400+ pages.... some 500 some 600...
scanning.... for someone with tons of time on their hands
early handbuchs (late 50's) were hardcover
then they switched to vinyl ring binders ( 60's vintage - these are very cumbersome...not my faves)
then vinyl softcovers (70's issue)
then pulpy hardcovers (80's issue)

As technology changed some buch subjects were expanded or deleted... eg, amphibious afv handbuch featuring the PT-76 was not repeated in the 80's

yes some specifically handbuchs are geared for tankers, fallis, recon troops, chemical troops, etc...etc....etc

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
costly nexus

what's with the bonanza pic???
the purely accidental inclusion of the Bonanza pic could be seen as tribute to pinnacle of East German merchandisers.... an influential business initiative that bridged the great divide between the Old World and New where the rookie / neophyte / greenhorn / amateur NVA collector could learn from the autochthonous guru, who's mastery of DDR perspicacity provided these young saplings with a starting nexus ( mind you a somewhat costly nexus ) in their quest for sometimes original and authentic DDR militaria....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
photoshop.....but

yes......photoshop
great idea but.............
its harder to get a pic of the Guru than holiday snaps of Carlos the Jackal in Torremolinos

·
Registered
541 Posts

GST copy of the Militaerisches Grundwissen

Law of War, Book 1

Law of War, Book 2

Update to the above book

·
Registered
211 Posts
where are your principal sources for handbuchs? ebay.de?

the only one i have i bought from nico's shop in berlin... grundwissen auf.18 still wrapped in brown paper.

has anyone done any translations?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts