Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few Mosins recently acquired from an estate sale.
All were missing rear sights, handguards, barrel bands, & other parts.
From the fifteen rifles acquired, parts were rusty, mismatched & modified.
Here are some quick, fuzzy photos of five that I recently returned as close to original as I could.
Thanks Vic, for the parts you furnished, & thanks GunnyUSMC for the stock repairs & finish work.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,134 Posts
I remember when you first posted these rifles, in various states of disrepair. I have to say congrats for bringing them back to life. They look great. I love the deep, clear cartouches!!

Excellent!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More pics.

Along with thw mostly matching 1917 Remington is a mostly matching New England Westinghouse. Both are U.S. marked in thier original stocks.

·
Premium Member
105,519 Posts
Very nice. Nothing like being able to save these old warhorse from disrepair. Great saves.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now the Dragoons!

Here is a stunning SCW dragoon with some intense fiddleback! ( LSU is not the only one with a tiger!:D )
I have not been able to remove all of the epoxy bedding. It still sits kinda high, but will suffice for now.
Alongside is a Finn dragoon in a wartime birch stock. This Finn dragoon was so rusty, full of deep blooms & pits, & had no finish remaining.
I cleaned it, used a wire wheel & acetone, shot it, & handed it to my neighbor to dip in his bluing tank during his next bluing job.
This is how it turned out. It was much worse than the Finn dragoon found in a Texas barn. That should be an easy job.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last one, so far.

This is a 1929 Finn dragoon. It sports its original finish, bolt, bolt parts, & buttplate. All else is mismatched. It has a mirror bore, too. Looks little used.
This one is VERY Flashy!

Now, all I need are several sets of barrel bands, rear sights, & handguards for the next ten M91 rifles & lone dragoon.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Estate saves

I see where the US marked M91's, non imports with all the right numbers bring good money. Well done. I regreat selling my NEW US REMINGTON with marked blade about 6 years ago, but ...... the same sorry story.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see where the US marked M91's, non imports with all the right numbers bring good money.
Only for those that sell.
These will remain with me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NUTS! Mosins in Walnut

As the proud owner of the Remington 1917 :)D), I am very grateful to OIS and GunnyUSMC for their work on it. Gunny did a repair that was "arsenal class +" - the only thing he could not match was the wood grain, and you have to really examine it closely to notice that. He was also able to "flush" all those years of grime out of the wood with his famous oil treatment. Looks incredible. Thanks, guys. Hope to take it to the range this weekend or next.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.