Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Where?

The majority of 91/30's that were rebuilt to that specification do not seem to have matching numbers...
Even the ones that have matching numbers, most do not have the cyrillic prefixes at all, except on the receiver...

So, I'm a bit confused...

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
Cyrillic prefix began in 1938.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,092 Posts
Guess I should qualify my statement. I don't consider it matching if all parts are not exactly marked as on the receiver.
+1. I'd also include the presence of all the same arsenal stock and small parts, with no mixing.
Pat

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,092 Posts
Ha!
I realize my criteria are more strict than most other guys here, but I've seen way too many proudly proclaim that they've found a 'Original stamped matching, unmessed with rifle!!!,' only to reveal one that clearly isn't.

There's nothing at all wrong with a rebuilt rifle that's been re-stamped to match, and has replacement parts. But let's be honest; they are NOT the original deal. Those beasts are out there in the wild, but they are few in number, and not often found.
Pat

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,974 Posts
Pat, I believe that you and caver are on the same page. Not strict at all, in the sense that a matching gun in the absolute definition would be "as assembled", and not one which received a parts swap or refurbishment.

Some exist. Very small percentage of the overall population.

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
Ha!
I realize my criteria are more strict than most other guys here, but I've seen way too many proudly proclaim that they've found a 'Original stamped matching, unmessed with rifle!!!,' only to reveal one that clearly isn't.

There's nothing at all wrong with a rebuilt rifle that's been re-stamped to match, and has replacement parts. But let's be honest; they are NOT the original deal. Those beasts are out there in the wild, but they are few in number, and not often found.
Pat
+1. Its one of the main reasons when you get into collecting mosin nagants not to get hung up on if its matching or not. Because most; were done at arsenal are not original to the rifle.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.