Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Well, I wouldn't say so. Checking headspace is always a good idea when the rifle don't match. It cost little and take little time to make sure everything's OK.
Any manufactured product have manufacturing / machining tolerances and even with today's technology, it's impossible to manufacture rifles and always get on spec.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,181 Posts
How many numbers off?
With the 1900 close tolerances are "as some say" not a problem when it comes to head space...
1640? should be near the same.....head spacing will cover unknown reasons for mismatched numbers.....
Safety checks is best in all aspects when it comes to machines, replaced parts.....holding back that pressures, gas

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I am not an expert and particularly so in this Husqvarna camp. Yet speaking in generalities of bolt rifles, bolts frequently do not display the entire serial number; rather often only the last three to four sequential digits.
Shooting the rifle is not the safe manner in which to determine correct "headspace"; such the critical tolerance between bolt head and chamber. A single fired shot or even series of them does not provide requisite insurance of a "safe rifle". Short of a disaster, it generally cannot indicate how far out of tolerance the juncture may exist.
As Baribal suggests, take the rifle to someone with headspace gauges who is qualified to perform this simple measurement. They should also be able to provide guidance should a repair be required. Typically for the determination itself a small price for insurance against injury!
Good luck and...
MY take.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.