Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure this really belongs here as this is not really a sniper scope,more just general level night vision...

But.. does anyone have some details on the function of these or any personal experience with one?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,399 Posts
I thinks it's a Gen 1 night vision scope. Soviet or Eastern Bloc of some kind.
Our experts can correct or expand on it...;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here's a couple pics of an NSPU (1PN34), comparing it to the 1PN58 & 1PN51 & a US 1st generation AN/PVS2. These scopes were used (as most Soviet & other countries) on most issue weapons, first generation scopes weren't designed specifically as "sniper scopes" but as a general night vision aid but most definitely saw service in the "snipers role". The NSPU is believed to be the original issue of this particular "variant" of Soviet NV, the 1PN58 was "product improved" from it, a big difference in the them is the battery, the NSPU uses a lg square regular style battery, the Pn58 uses a sealed smaller round battery w/no wire hookups required, they were also rechargeable, not sure on the Pn34, the later round battery was also used in the Pn51 (the scope w/the round body), there were also technical changes to the internals of the scope & electronics to make it more efficient & lighter (although what exact changes were made I don't know) but the Pn58 is a bit lighter, slimmer than the Pn34. They were used on about all Soviet small arms of the time that were fitted w/an optics rail. Here's a link to more pics of the Soviet Pn34, Pn58 & Pn51, it's about the SVD but has quite a few pics of the NV:
http://imageevent.com/willyp/russia.../russiasovietunion/handguns/sovietsvddragunov

·
Platinum Bullet Member
512 Posts
I just got one. what are your specific questions?

Here it is mounted on a demilled RPG-7. The scope (3.5x same as a PU) set includes a ballistic cam for the RPG-7!

tim

Not sure this really belongs here as this is not really a sniper scope,more just general level night vision...

But.. does anyone have some details on the function of these or any personal experience with one?

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
Wicked fish eye!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I've had a few of the 1PN 34's as well as the 58 and the 51's. I shot them on my SVD's back when I lived in the wide open west. The 58 and the 34 are both very good scopes and the fisheye is evident but primarily around the edges. It will vary from scope to scope as well. On the good side, the cascade tube scopes like the 34 are very bright and there have been times that the 34 and 58 would pick up things that the gen 2 1PN51 would not. The 51 has a clearer field of view but is not quite as bright. We made some shots with the 1st gen scopes at night at over 900yds that were pretty impressive. They are not target grade scopes by any means but with proper zeroing and good technique it is possible to hit some fairly small targets at goodly ranges. The only real secret to it is moonlight or a very bright overcast. Its hard enough to see an 18" square plate at 900yds in the daylight with an optical scope and at night its much more difficult unless there is enough ambient light to amplify. It is really cool to see the bullets flying through the air leaving glowing streaks in the scope and also the big flash when they hit the sand.

I made an adapter to use 4 AAA batteries in the scope by getting a battery holder from radio shack that put 2 pairs of batteries in series for 3 volts. I've run one set of batteries for over 8 hours with no sign of dying. The later gen 2 scopes tend toward more battery use due to the way they work. Not sure if thats true of the US designs as well .
My experience.....I like the scopes.

Frank

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Question came from I just picked one up so wanted to get a few peoples thoughts regarding them. I've pretty much always wanted to pick one up mostly for the collection value (and the price on this one could not be beat) but also in the back of my head wondering how functional it would be for actual use as well. Obviously it served the Soviet military as well as a few other nations very well and well enough to be produced for quite some time.

I have been looking to mount some type of NV to an AKT-98 for Raccoon control (I really like this gun for this) just to make shots a bit better in dark conditions as this is a bit required. As of now I use a PSOP and it works fine if there is enough light but not all that useful at all in dark conditions without spotting them in a spotlight. Ranges are always 50 yards or less. Being more discret is better and more productive in this task.

From a personal view of those that have these, is the center of the fish eye focused enough to take an accurate shot at less than 50 yards. I'm thinking of using the AK-74 cam as a base then figuring it out from there.

Naturally there is also the Battery issue of which I think I have covered but any pointers would be appreciated.. Using it or not I'd like to know some options. The one I have obtaind has a AA adapter but I'm still looking at other potential options.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
What's the battery substitute being used there?...;)
Jerry it is a 6V digital camera battery....Duracell 245/2CR5

When I bought the scope the owner had already rigged the 9V plug to the scope. I went to RadioShack and got a package of 9V plugs.

OK....since your connecting 9V plug to 9V plug what do you need to do? Yes, soldered the black grnd wire to the battery's positive lead and the red wire to the negative lead.

When mated it of course goes to the right source and presto....you have power.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Most of the generation 1 "starlight" scopes have an effective range of 300 meters or so, my experience w/the US AN/PVS2 in 71-72 indicated that, which was basically what the instructors had said, 900yds using a Soviet Gen1 is outstanding!, I always assumed they were a bit behind in their electronics & capability in this regard but from that report I guess I was wrong! One thing to keep in mind using an image intensifier, ie: starlight/passive scope is that the darker it is the less effective they are (at least the Gen1 stuff), these scopes use ambient or existing light & amplify it, the less ambient light there is limits their use & range directly, I believe the newer generations are much better in this regard due to electronic improvements but have no experience w/them. Using the AN/PVS2 on a moonlit night was good to 3-400 meters in an open area, vegetation, brush etc limits that also so w/a Gen1 you need some ambient light or they won't be very effective at all, the "field of fire" is also a determining factor as described above.
There is a gentleman in UK who lists a repro battery for the NSPU (1PN34) scopes, which are different than the Pn58 & Pn51 as described in my previous post, the scope & battery in Sturms post show a PN58 (beautiful stuff by the way Sturm!), I haven't ordered one yet so can't say how well they work (he also has other parts for the Pn34 & Pn58's, intensifier tubes etc), here's a link to the site if you want to check his Pn34 battery: http://www.kalashnikov.org.uk

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,399 Posts
Jerry it is a 6V digital camera battery....Duracell 245/2CR5

When I bought the scope the owner had already rigged the 9V plug to the scope. I went to RadioShack and got a package of 9V plugs.

OK....since your connecting 9V plug to 9V plug what do you need to do? Yes, soldered the black grnd wire to the battery's positive lead and the red wire to the negative lead.

When mated it of course goes to the right source and presto....you have power.
If you solder the black grnd wire to the red positive and the red to the negative, doesn't that hook it up backward?...:confused:....Never mind; I see how it works now....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you solder the black grnd wire to the red positive and the red to the negative, doesn't that hook it up backward?...:confused:
Thats the way you want it...Russian stuff does not work the way you would think it would..

I have a couple Soviet keyboard synthesizers and have had to do some work on them.. it is beyond weird how they are designed. They are nothing like the western counterparts and use a very different system than we use in the west.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Wow, this stuff is pretty cool. I bought mine by accident today as I originally was after some rare Valmet sniper scopes but also this NSPU followed me home. :D Well, this one among several other NSPUs I saw were discarded by the Defence Forces recently. I also saw one with possibly DDR made box as the model "NSPU" was written with Latin alphabet. The box included a German manual and inspection card with the date 1990. I guess all of these came here from Germany as the FDF bought some SVDs from there in the early 1990s.

Mine is in unissued condition. It seems someone has stolen the batteries and their carying case but with improvised 2x1.5V battery modification this beast came back to life. I think there's something wrong with the reticule however. The invert V aiming mark is malformed and some of the vertical marks are disjointed. The picture is bad but you should get the idea. So what's this all about?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,399 Posts
Wow, this stuff is pretty cool. I bought mine by accident today as I originally was after some rare Valmet sniper scopes but also this NSPU followed me home. :D Well, this one among several other NSPUs I saw were discarded by the Defence Forces recently. I also saw one with possibly DDR made box as the model "NSPU" was written with Latin alphabet. The box included a German manual and inspection card with the date 1990. I guess all of these came here from Germany as the FDF bought some SVDs from there in the early 1990s.

Mine is in unissued condition. It seems someone has stolen the batteries and their carying case but with improvised 2x1.5V battery modification this beast came back to life. I think there's something wrong with the reticule however. The invert V aiming mark is malformed and some of the vertical marks are disjointed. The picture is bad but you should get the idea. So what's this all about?

I think your operating it with 3 volts and it takes 6 volts; may explain your picture..:)

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.