Gunboards Forums banner

61 - 80 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Russia has been in the game longer but don't ever underestimate the chinese. China has more money to throw in the game, and of course people.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well....I don't believe that is correct.A quick search of you tube shows plenty of shooting still going on in Britain these days.
Not trying to deviate from the original subject, but I read several articles (with pictures) showing British citizens protesting their gun laws..........and wanting their guns back. I agree with Webley One, but from another angle. How could the country that gave us the Webley pistol and Enfield rifles (and many others) sink so low? The Industrial Revolution began in Great Britain. When it came to developing machine tools and engineering, they showed the world the way. Seems to me that the "elite" forces in Great Britain have a misguided view that everyone is a gentleman or a lady........so firearms simply aren't needed in their society. Then you read about the stabbings, mass murders, etc. and you begin to see why the people want self defense to be recognized as a basic human right.

Joke from years ago. An American cop yells "Stop, or I'll shoot!" A British bobby yells "Stop, or I'll say stop again!"

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally Posted by caerlonie

The root of it all seems to be the great American paradox: an exceptional objection to being governed, and yet an unwillingness to interfere with the man in charge.

I think we have interfered with the man in charge when warranted. What was his name?? George and some number....you know, the one whose ancestors you still bow too on bended knee....

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
The end of the Great war,unfortunately also marked the end of the relatively free availability of rifled firearms in Britain.Largely through fear of revolution or insurrection of the working classes, by the British establishment of the day.Completely misguided but that is what history tells us.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The end of the Great war,unfortunately also marked the end of the relatively free availability of rifled firearms in Britain.Largely through fear of revolution or insurrection of the working classes, by the British establishment of the day.Completely misguided but that is what history tells us.
That is why Governments have gun control.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I think we have interfered with the man in charge when warranted. What was his name?? George and some number....you know, the one whose ancestors you still bow too on bended knee....

I posted no such thing....although there is in fact some truth to what Caledonian posted there.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Some can't get it - in both NZ and Oz, the Monarch is the head of State, but if required to become involved on any matter, follows the advice of the countries PM/elected government. The 1700's are long gone.
Unlike the US today, there is NO possibility of a substitute for the Monarch dictating what a particular outcome may be. There is no executive power, it is down the respective Houses of Parliament in either country.

·
Registered
847 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Some can't get it - in both NZ and Oz, the Monarch is the head of State, but if required to become involved on any matter, follows the advice of the countries PM/elected government. The 1700's are long gone.
Unlike the US today, there is NO possibility of a substitute for the Monarch dictating what a particular outcome may be. There is no executive power, it is down the respective Houses of Parliament in either country.
I would say YOU do not get it.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The above comments are an excellent example of the problem for gun owners. Gun owners have a history of fighting among themselves and tearing down organizations that have been formed to protect their rights. Meanwhile, anti-gunners are pretty much a unified block. We are our own worst enemy and it may well turn out to be our down fall as the anti-gun groups become more organized and better financed as we have seen in the last few years.
The problem now seems to owe more to a reluctance to turn on authority figures. It is several years since there could have been sufficient unease to do a very satisfactory patchup job on the NRA and its influence on government.

As to insults against Britain, by people accustomed to dazzlingly inaccurate comments on foreign countries, I certainly djsagree with a lot that has been done in gun control in the UK. But it doesn't actually prevent anything I want. It is hard to separate cause from effect, but it is connected with no country in western Europe having a rate of intentional homicide more than around a quarter of that in the US. In fact if you believe all that pathetic flatulence about the free availability of firearms reducing violent crime, the natural rate of Americans to kill each other must be in even greater proportion. There are not negligible considerations, except to an aging and shrinking demographic who are willing to have others die for what they want.

As for my supposed hatred of Americans, I think you are misled by your belief that to be a real American, it is necessary to agree with you. Deplorable as America's attitude on race may be, it includes one of the most extreme turnarounds in government policy and legislation, in the 1960s, that any country can show. It wasn't enough, but a great many loose ends look like being tidied up now. I don't doubt that many babies will be thrown out with some exceedingly dirty bathwater, but that is what happens when you let things go for too long, and the need becomes desperate.

The government of King George III had already reduced the executive power of the monarch, acting without the authority of his ministers, to almost zero It compares very favourably with the current state, in the United States, of the last functional monarchy in the world. Approval of the President has at no time equalled disapproval. In the graphs on this page, which come from US government figures, the area of the red and green areas is more significant than their height at any given time. The shrinkage of the yellow line, for "undecided", is significant too.

That makes nonsense, of the kind all too common on internet pages where people try to convince each other when they are already convinced, of claims that I am hostile to Americans as a whole.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Whereas declared membership in the NRA isn't that great, there are many millions who depend on them to challenge the anti gun mob , but don't belong to the organization. I would say every true gun owner , looks to The NRA as their first line of defense , maybe now even some of the newer converts. This rash act by the NY AG will galvanize any wobblers and you may see people begin to understand that their basic rights are really under attack. So much hype has been spread before but this is the real deal . The Dems have been saying they're going to take our guns away . This may be the boost that sinks the Dems hopes of winning in November . I sure hope so. It's just one more example of people control .

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
T
As to insults against Britain, . It is hard to separate cause from effect, but it is connected with no country in western Europe having a rate of intentional homicide more than around a quarter of that in the US. In fact if you believe all that pathetic flatulence about the free availability of firearms reducing violent crime, the natural rate of Americans to kill each other must be in even greater proportion. There are not negligible considerations, except to an aging and shrinking demographic who are willing to have others die for what they want.

As for my supposed hatred of Americans, Deplorable as America's attitude on race may be,
No one insults GB, they just say that you have lost your right to bear arms, which you had . You live at the will of your government , who with the swipe of a pen , can take away your rights that you previously held. Our Bill of Rights and Constitution, specifically denied the Government that ability which was the sole purpose of our Revolution !!
No matter how you delude yourself into thinking you are just stating facts, your choice of words shows an inborn disdain and dislike of anything "American". The British are well known around the world for their presumptuous and overbearing manner . You are the poster boy for that description with your highhanded insulting comments .[ Pathetic Flatulence ???] You are disliked for good reasons of your own choosing.

·
Super Moderator
6,089 Posts
Caledonian is not disliked, he's a member here and you can discuss issues with him without constantly berating him personally. His "pathetic flatulence" comment was not directed at you Pinkie so tone it down. Just discuss, not insult.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The British don't have a written constitution so therefore they cannot amend such a thing as our 2nd amendment.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Caledonian is not disliked, he's a member here and you can discuss issues with him without constantly berating him personally. His "pathetic flatulence" comment was not directed at you Pinkie so tone it down. Just discuss, not insult.
His comment was directed at all of us who are Americans !!

·
Registered
423 Posts
His comment was directed at all of us who are Americans !!
Who cares? It was his opinion, opinions are like butt holes everybody has one

·
Registered
847 Posts
Originally Posted by Caledonian

Deplorable as America's attitude on race may be,

While you are pontificating, share your English enlightenment....

According to supporters, they were driven out by toxic coverage in the British media, which often veered into racist harassment and bullying.The collateral damage extends far beyond the palace walls. For Ladapo and others, Meghan's treatment has sent a damaging message to young British people of color, who perhaps saw her as a sign that racial prejudice might be finally ebbing away.
"This has been a very rude awakening," said Ladapo, who studies economics and is president of her university's African-Caribbean Society. "It reminded us that we shouldn't get too comfortable, and no matter how much we think we are accepted into society, we really aren't."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/meghan-markle-british-racism-what-her-saga-says-black-britons-n1132181

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Unfortunately there is the glib assumption by many in this forum that no one outside the US knows anything of worth knowing about its history.
In all of this the original Articles of Confederation, drafted in 1778 and adopted in 1781, are ignored. The Revolutionaries fought against centralism, one man rule, aristocratic government, standing army and a central taxing authority.
A new ruling class prepared to take over with a counter revolution culminating in the inauguration of George Washington as President on 20th April, 1789.
Forgotten, as an example, is the 'whisky rebellion' of 1795, objecting to a tax similar to British levies imposed some 30 years earlier, where Washington ordered 15,000 troops to put it down, with the full support of Samuel Adams, who had transformed into a staunch Federalist. The aspirations of the States by then were subordinated to the new rule, which in many ways looked like what it was supposed to replace.

·
Silver Bullet member
48,524 Posts
Whisky rebellion..was very odd indeed.

61 - 80 of 211 Posts