Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Minutes after I posted a few positive thoughts on an old sporterized M24 I run across this rifle up for auction.

Another Yugo 24...well a 24/47 anyways.

I always thought the spoon bolt handle described it's similarity to a spoon handle........Not that it was actually a "spoon handle"!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
well, it's decorative if nothing else :p

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
2,661 Posts
Eight or so years ago I met a gunsmith in Kalamazoo, Michigan who was building Swedish Mauser rifles. He was welding a beautiful handle onto the bolt for scope use and they were also made from stainless steel tableware. You couldn't really tell once it was welded on and smoothed out. It was very well done and made me laugh.

Dutchman

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Another Yugo 24...well a 24/47 anyways.
Well at least if it was a 24/47. that ain't quite so bad.
I have the mortal remains of an original, all matching model 1924 that some clueless sod cut the straight bolt arm off, welded on bent, then ground away part of it for scope clearance. :(

Why couldn't the sod just have stuck a surplus M48 bolt in it???

·
Registered
945 Posts
Looks like Bubba's wife is going to have to make a trip to the Dish Barn Outlet to replace the missing tableware...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If he was going to the trouble of welding on a handle, polishing the weld joint and jewl the bolt......why on earth would he not spend $15 for a descent classic weld on 'butter knife' handle from Midway or Brownells?????????

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
Bubba caint read, so he don't know them places got them fancy bolt dohickies.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I guess he needed a real thin bolt-handle to clear the Scout-mounted scope?

:confused:

;)

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Eight or so years ago I met a gunsmith in Kalamazoo, Michigan who was building Swedish Mauser rifles. He was welding a beautiful handle onto the bolt for scope use and they were also made from stainless steel tableware. You couldn't really tell once it was welded on and smoothed out. It was very well done and made me laugh.
Dutchman
That is funny Dutchman....when I saw the pic I instantly thought of the same guy I bet....met him at a show in Kalamazoo about 15 years ago....had several "spoon" rifles on his table. But this guy was fairly old back then if memory serves me....maybe it's his son now?

·
Registered
413 Posts
My question is what rifle has the other end of the spoon? Not like bubba to waste anything. DDR
Sold as weight-saving spoons to the pestilential swarms of backpackers who infest the Appalachian Trail?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts