Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
dad had this pocket note book in WWII. He made a few notes in it along the way. Sadly, not a diary, but it does give us an inside look into the backwater of a backwater of the war.

"Pvt. Dominic Chrzon killed by bulldozer on Nov. 10, 1943. Buried on Armistice Day at Margherita, Assam Province."

"Pvt. Harry Basher, Co. B, died in Dec. 1943 at Hell's Gate, Ledo Road. Cause- Typhus."

"P.F.C. Lewis E Hockman was drowned in an accident in which he drove off a bridge at Myothit, Burma on October 10, 1945. Burial was at Myitkyina."

Cpl. James Donelly died on October 22, 1945 at the 20th General Hosp. of Typhus. Burial was at Margherita.

No medals for these guys, or their families, but the war claimed them just as surely as if shot or bombed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I find that kind of history amazing. When my grandparents passed ('01 & '04) we were cleaning out their house. There were a few boxes of newspapers that noone wanted. I took them. Inside were papers from WWII from around the US and my grandfather's notebook from his schooling, he was an aviation mech. From his notes I think I can find TDC on a Pratt & Whittney! He never left the states but his brothers did and none of them would talk about it. I understand but it's sad because that is history lost.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Note. I just happened to check this again today and noticed Cpl Donelly died 62 years ago, yesterday.
Rest in piece Cpl.
:(

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
Note. I just happened to check this again today and noticed Cpl Donelly died 62 years ago, yesterday. :(
Its ironic things like this show up when they do. Sometimes makes me wonder............

Regards
Art

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its ironic things like this show up when they do. Sometimes makes me wonder............

Regards
Art
Just a few days untill the anniversary of Pvt. Dominic Chrzon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts