Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on a B'barrel 1942 M39 with a single piece butt postwar refinished stock

Didnt realise 'transitional' stocks were actually wartime..

·
Registered
245 Posts
Doesn't look like tally notches to me. Probably just damage from resting it on something. I have two rifles with what I believe are tally notches and they are much deeper that what you have. I can't imagine this B-barrel has seen combat.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Doesn't look like tally notches to me. Probably just damage from resting it on something. I have two rifles with what I believe are tally notches and they are much deeper that what you have. I can't imagine this B-barrel has seen combat.
I am not sure - I have a bringback sniper with the same type of marks in the same place that are obvious man made...

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I have 3 notches behind the rear sling of a Sk.Y M-39. More of a V notch than yours. But I think they mean the same thing. And that is not a good thing for the other guys who got in the way of the rifle's owner!.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I too am a bit skeptical as to what significance, if any, to attach to those dents. Here is a pic of a more "traditional" notch which is just below the lower band spring on a 1920 Swedish "SA" marked M96 rifle. DDR

·
Copper Bullet member
1,736 Posts
Very doubtful on that stock, and very hard (impossible) to prove on any stock. B-barrel M39s are way postwar anyhow.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Yep, I agree. Something that could easily be faked. It is an "anymous" physical feature with no documentable, verifyable provenance in the same category as "blood pitting". DDR

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I don't presume that yours or any other real notch is faked if it is consistent with the age of the firearm and its stock. That long notch must have been for something special. I just caution myself against letting my imagination run away with me akin to "not buying the story...". DDR

·
Registered
299 Posts
If the rifles were ever hunted with as in deer hunting the owner could have notched it for deer kills, but if the notch has the same patina or color like the notch was there before it got refinished by the arsenal it would make it more believeable as to them being war time tally notches.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
LOL....The long notch was a tall enemy......=+)

Greg, that M28-30 is a keeper for sure!!

Pahtu.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
It's amusing to me how whenever there's any sort of notches, lines or related markings on a stock, they are always "kill notches", and never the result of storage, or the gun getting knocked around, or even the work of a bored soldier or trainee with a pocketknife...

Do you guye ever imagine that for every set of marks that may actually be authentic kill counters, there's about 1,000 that may look like it but aren't?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,082 Posts
Slimedog,
I think the light hearted tone of most of this thread show that we don't really know what they mean at all. I am sure that if we were to know that those marks actually mean the death of a soldier at the hands of the rifles owner, we would be more reverent. But, we have no way of knowing what they mean. Like my reasoning of a tally of Lotta girlfriends not kills. It is all just fanciful conjecture on our part. And I think we are all aware of that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts