Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recent thread (http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=5284) made me dig up few pics I took when my GF and I visited Japan. I figure while its not "firearm", you guys might enjoy it...
Taken at Yamato museum in Kure, Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo.
Well, nothing special, but figure you guys might enjoy.....

Other near by building I took...Very eery place. Its in center of city, yet very eery. If you position your self just right, it almost makes me feel like I'm standing in middle of city ruin somehow, with no other soul around, even tho heavy traffic was about 50feet behind me...

Yasukuni Shurine don't let you take pictures of any exibit. I had to sneak those few pics when noone was watching...
Interesting thing is tho, employee looked at me when I took these pics(Forgot to shut off flash), then never came over to say something...

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
2,323 Posts
Thanks for sharing these pics. Considering the Yamato's 18.1 inch guns, I think it's plenty firearm related. I sure wouldn't be on the recieving end of one of her broadsides.

·
Registered
135 Posts
And to think I always thought that the Japanese wiped the war out of their culture. Well i guess im wrong.

Also why is is not legal to take photos of certain things? Is this due to respect ?

Ken

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Sure it's gun related! And I have a gun related question. What is the one with the drum magazine in the covered display case?

Great pictures. I'd never have seen these things had you not posted them since It's very, very unlikely I'll ever get to travel to Japan.

Steve

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Great photos Mity.
The MG in the case is a Type 99 20mm MG with drum mag from a Zero, and other fighters. These were based on a design originally licensed from Oerlikon of Switzerland and built by a Navy commissioned maker Tomioka Weapons mfg plant.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Nice pics!! Yes, ground zero in Hiroshima is a very sobering place for sure. It's too bad about the pics. in the main exhibit at Yasukuni - they have some very interesting stuff highly worthy of pic. taking....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mity2, Thanks for posting the pictures of the exhibits.I especially like the shots of the restored Zero fighters.Their lack of armour and self sealing tanks was a handicap, but at the start of the war nobody could match their manuverability or pilot skills honed over the far east.

Charlie

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great photos Mity.
The MG in the case is a Type 99 20mm MG with drum mag from a Zero, and other fighters. These were based on a design originally licensed from Oerlikon of Switzerland and built by a Navy commissioned maker Tomioka Weapons mfg plant.
what he said.

At main garally, there are hundreads nf thouthands of picture of war god(casuality of war) from private to general. hundreds of wills, eqipment recovered in Southpacific jungles, shoes, helmet(with holes, you can clearly tell that the wearer prolly was killed, cantine, parts of aircraft, guns, ammo,s, MXY-7(baka bumb), D4Y, and much more stuff.
I find it interesting, but I think my GF might have felt little odd.

There were alot of old people there - most prolly had their friends, and family members placed there. Some of them did gave my gf odd look. And when we were there, I think some goverment official was expected to show up or something - there were small demenstration going on just outside of main gate

·
Registered
364 Posts
Where did that 20mm go, dont think it would fit in the wing of a Zero with that drum? I think the nose guns were rifle cal. MG's. Nice pics, thanks for posting them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
20mm went on wing. and 7.7mm was on the nose. Now Zero(Tail number 81-161) is type52. So it would have Type 99-II cannon with belt feed of the Mk 4 instead of drum feed Mk 3 (100 rpg), permitting a bigger ammunition supply (125 rpg).

Zero at Yamato Meuseum(210-118) is Type 62. So it would have above belt fed Mk4 and nose 7.7mm replaced by 13.2 millimeter Type 3 Browning-derivertive gun (790 m/s muzzle velocity and 900 m range) with 240 rounds. Big difference other then armament is that Type 62 did have self-sealing wing tanks and armor plating around cockpit(May be just on back?), and i think equipped with Nakajima Sakae 31a engine featuring water-methanol injection, instead of Sakae 21?

Someone should be able to provide correct info..

·
Registered
949 Posts
Dang, I thought the Yamato was much larger than that. Also, wasn't it sunk off Okinawa? LOL! In all seriousness, awesome pics! Thanks for posting.

-Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts