1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,800 Posts
This is supposed to be a surprise? I suspect that a lot of the "screeners" are gay or lesbian and are looking for a chance to molest passengers without risk of getting what they would in the real world. The rest, I would judge, are mostly hired to meet "affirmative action" goals and are about as competent as you would expect.

We flew out of Houston last year about this time (and out of Sacramento on the way back). i could see at least a couple of ways to get a bomb on board if I wanted to and was willing to go with the plane. And at least a couple that would allow me to LEAVE a bomb on board for later effect. And no - i ain't saying. If TSA sends somebody with a subpoena, I'll appear before the Grand Jury and refuse to answer, citing Fifth Amendment, until they grant immunity. Or agree to hire me as a consultant at a reasonable fee.

·
Administrator
17,847 Posts
I'm flying out this weekend, Clyde. Thank you for keeping that bit of business to yourself.

·
98,800 Posts
I see no reason to tell ALL i know. And I'll bet that, if you watch the so-called security procedures, you'll see a few holes. I suggest that you do NOT mention them to the screeners. or anybody else.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
70,287 Posts
This is supposed to be a surprise? I suspect that a lot of the "screeners" are gay or lesbian and are looking for a chance to molest passengers without risk of getting what they would in the real world. The rest, I would judge, are mostly hired to meet "affirmative action" goals and are about as competent as you would expect.

We flew out of Houston last year about this time (and out of Sacramento on the way back). i could see at least a couple of ways to get a bomb on board if I wanted to and was willing to go with the plane. And at least a couple that would allow me to LEAVE a bomb on board for later effect. And no - i ain't saying. If TSA sends somebody with a subpoena, I'll appear before the Grand Jury and refuse to answer, citing Fifth Amendment, until they grant immunity. Or agree to hire me as a consultant at a reasonable fee.

My daughter who was EOD for 4 years agrees with you.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
70,287 Posts
I see no reason to tell ALL i know. And I'll bet that, if you watch the so-called security procedures, you'll see a few holes. I suggest that you do NOT mention them to the screeners. or anybody else.
You mention it and they would probably arrest you

When our new courthouse was built, we had all of this new security, just like the airports. (The judges forget where they came from.)

One instance I mentioned to the security that what they were doing was useless as all I had to do was to go to the county clerk's office and check the real estate records to get the home addresses of the judges - homes where there was no security. Received blank stares and was almost was arrested.

A day or two later mentioned that if they wanted actually to be safe then they should not have built the six story garage right next to the new justice center (common wall) as all what was needed was for someone to drive a mini van into the garage, go up a floor or two and park it next to the wall and leave and then Boom. I was told that they had cameras all throughout the garage to watch for this type of thing. Then I asked them who was going to be the bright person that was going to go and try to ovey the mini van before it went off. Again received blank stares and was almost was arrested.

I don't think they trusted me much after that. (Also told them that I had a couple knives that would not set off the metal detectors and they did not like that much either.)

·
98,800 Posts
Cameras to "Watch for this sort of thing"? - I mean, what happens in a parking garages? Oh, yeah - people drive in, find a parking place, get out of the vehicle and go away. Yeah, right, they have cameras all over to "watch for that sort of thing". And it accomplishes - what?

Charlie, I've been away form stuff that goes "Kaboom" for a long time, but i do have some recollection what I learned in the Demo & Mine Warfare course I took (to qualify me to blow up the maintenance plant I was assigned to in case the Big, Bad Red Bear jumped the border) long ago - and can use my eyes and brain. There are LOTS of holes (Saw a news blurb in yesterday's paper; 70 or 80% of test - fake - bombs amde it through TSA-manned security; 20% made it through other tested airports that had private security; suggest anything? Affirmative action anyone?).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love security theater. It's so comforting, knowing that no matter what happens, people will always be a pack of raving idiots.

Seems like there just ain't much worth saving in this country anymore.

·
Gold Bullet member
885 Posts
Those cameras don't watch for those kinds of things. All the cameras do is give leads on where to look AFTER that kind of thing happens. I bet that fact is not to comforting to those who would be there if a bomb went off.

But, I guess it makes some people feel more secure.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
If any of you kids remember back that far, the Bush Admin. wanted the screeners to stay privatized. The Dems refused to go along with the Homeland Security bill that established the TSA unless they all were made federal employees. which would get them out from under state labor laws and give the unions a better chance to organize them.

The dems also tried to give them the retention rights for non-critical positions, instead of the law enforcement type positions that make it easier to terminate them for non-performance. Some sort of compromise was worked out but a federal force of any low paid unskilled workers is always going to be a big problem, and the management of those workers an even bigger problem.

If they'd stayed private the companies doing the screening would be subject to non-renewal of contracts, or even to being suspended for violations, something the TSA isn't subject to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts