Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Banned
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my uncle(i can,t tell but my aunt says so) checking jap,s who did not want to die for their country. i,m sorry i don,t know where the pic was taken as my uncle has died. he was in the 11th airborne and fought thru the phillpines, he never jumped into combat, they went ashore in landingcraft. from what i read the 11th had one combat jump there, but he was not in it. eastbank.

· Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,306 Posts
It's probably my turn to say this, but eastbank, on this forum, we use the word "Japanese" instead of the slang version. We have Japanese members, and all are chipping in to help us understand our hobby and expand our knowledge in this area.

Oh, yes, is your uncle about to get his picture taken, or is he holding something else in his hands?

· Banned
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fredh, i don,t know,but as i look at the pic it could have been a camara in the japanese,s hands. i never saw the pic untill after my uncles death, i understand what you are saying about a racial slur, but i have to tell you my uncles and my father called the germans and japanese alot worse when i was growning up. and i,m glad i did not post any of the pic,s of the japanese who wanted to die as he must have helped alot of them attain their goal. eastbank.

· Banned
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sono, they could be. the back of the photo just has japanese giving up written on it. fredh, i tried to blow the pic up and it looks like the japanese is trying to show my uncle some papers or ID of some kind. eastbank.

· Kryptonite member
5,773 Posts
Hasn't this photo or one snapped from the same position of the same group been in several books, the photo taken on Okinawa? And is captalization no longer taught?

· Registered
321 Posts
Hasn't this photo or one snapped from the same position of the same group been in several books, the photo taken on Okinawa? And is captalization no longer taught?
Doss,
I think you are right. I'm almost positive I've seen this same shot in books dealing with Okinawa. I recall that young kid with his hands up on the right side. I've seen it reversed in various publications with him at the left side too.

I once had a class in college with a guy who had a vintage-WWII era dog-eared print of Yoshio Tachibana - the commander at Chichi Jima who was later executed for cannabalism on American pilots - coming up in a dighy to an American destroyer to surrender in 1945. The kid who had the pic said it was the original and his grandpa had been the Navy camerman who took it as Tachibana approached their ship. I'd seen that pic before too. Don't think it was the original but the grandson, of course, had no idea. He was probably repeating what surviving family members had always told him.

Best,
Gunnar

· Registered
284 Posts
It's probably my turn to say this, but eastbank, on this forum, we use the word "Japanese" instead of the slang version. We have Japanese members, and all are chipping in to help us understand our hobby and expand our knowledge in this area.
It's an abbreviation for goodness sake.
What do they call that 7.7 ammo BTW?

· Registered
272 Posts
Hello all,
I will try to use the full word "Japanese" also, as I reckon I can understand how someone might misconscrue the word "Jap" as derogatory. These boards are great and interesting learning tools for us in the hobby of WWII study, weapons, etc. and I would never want to be the cause for any discord here or hurt any feelings. But I agree with AK-CZ about the word "Jap" being simply an abreviation and not a racial slur. When you buy ammo it says on the box, or on the back of the shells, "7.7 Jap". It is simply an abreviation in my opinion. Not like referring to them as "Nips", "Slant-eyes", "Gooks", or like calling Germans as "Nazis", "Krauts", "Jerries", "Bosch", etc. Now those are derogatory terms.

Hey Ketoujin, I agree with you about "Capitalization". No offense to Eastbank, but it irritates me too to see people, my own sons included, typing in all lower case, no proper grammer, capitilizaion, punctuation, sentence structure, etc.. My sons ask me why I go to all the trouble to capitalize words, indent paragraphs, use correct sentence structure, etc, etc., calling me a nerd or geek. They say they do as they do because "Computer Language Edicate" is different and more lax in these things. I simply say to them because it is proper, how I was taught. Do schools no longer teach proper sentence structure, capitalization, etc, etc?
DE
Alabama

· Silver Bullet member
15,767 Posts
Guys,
the convention here is to use Japanese. If you can't show that modicum respect for the forum and the members, maybe you should reconsider, JMHO.:(

The ammo is 7.7 x 58mm.

· Registered
84 Posts
Folks.
I had seen the photo before and thought it was in 'The Battle For Okinawa' by Hiromichi Yahara. Dug out my copy and I was right.
The caption reads :
" Japanese Navy personnel surrender. They were among the few survivors of the navy landing forces' last stand on the Orote Peninsula, South of Naha, in mid june. (The boy with hands up is an Okinawan "youth Corp" draftee)
(Mainichi Newspapers) ".

I'm pretty sure I've seen it elswhere too. I'll dig around my library to see.

· Gold Bullet Member
3,430 Posts
Hello AK CZ :

It seems to me that the improper use of abbreviations in our daily correspondence has led to a Nationwide lowering of the correct usage of the English language ! or should I say the "American" language taught in schools in the past ?.
Here is an example :
1) nip
2) Nip
3) Nip.
4) Nippon
Whereas #1 is used to express a small bite, pinch, or drink. #2 can be construed as derogatory to the correct name of #4 the Country known as Japan. Yet #3 is the correct abbreviation of #4 in a written text.
In the same way lets look at
1) jap
2) Jap
3) Jap.
4) Japan
As I write this the computer spellchecker has highlighted #1,2, & 3 letting me know that there is a problem. My small Bantam New College Spanish & English Dictionary does not list #1 as a word. Again #2's use would be derogatory to the proper name of the Nation #4. In a text #3 is the correct abbreviation of #4.
There are innumerable words and expressions from our past which were in general usage then, but through the passage of time and historical events have caused society to disuse them. These are now termed derogatory, inflammatory, callous, offensive, racist, meaning that their use is no longer acceptable in our daily lives.
21st Century America suffers from a lowering of values in so many ways, as David Edelen so clearly states being thought of as a nerd or geek by his sons who accept the Computer Language Edicate ( whatever that is ! ) a much more "modern & lax" way to communicate.
It's amazing that the lower standards and cheapened language is the norm today, it does not bode well for our future. Sometimes one step forward does lead to two steps backward.
Vicasoto

· Registered
512 Posts
Our government run educational system has gone to He** in a Handbasket. Students at the local high school graduate without writing any kind of "term paper" or report unless they take college level classes for dual credit.

Our American Legion Post receives applications for a local scholorship. We usually throw one out for failure to follow instructions. Most others contain gramatical errors, run on sentences etc.

All use spellchecker, which of course doesn't catch wrong words if they are spelled correctly. No one actually proof reads the finished application or they surely would catch some of the errors.

jim

· Platinum Bullet member
19,393 Posts
The term "Jap" was used with hatred during the war not only against the enemy but against Japanese-Americans as well. Their businesses were defaced with "Japs get out" and other nasty epitaths. Then they were interred in camps where they were considered to be "Japs" as well. So, I can why the use of that term would be offensive.
I'm sure that most folks posting here do use it as an abbreviation with innocent intention. Many using that word may not even be aware of the relocation camps & the plight of these fine Americans. Look what the 442 Combat Brigade was able to accomplish after being recruited out of those camps. Amazing folks.
So to me this is not PC bullshit but is a matter of common courtesy. We have some fine Japanese & Japanese-American folks on this site that are treasured resources and good friends. I, for one, don't think they deserve to have to endure the use of that term.

· Registered
321 Posts
Hello all,

Hey Ketoujin, I agree with you about "Capitalization". No offense to Eastbank, but it irritates me too to see people, my own sons included, typing in all lower case, no proper grammer, capitilizaion, punctuation, sentence structure, etc.. My sons ask me why I go to all the trouble to capitalize words, indent paragraphs, use correct sentence structure, etc, etc., calling me a nerd or geek. They say they do as they do because "Computer Language Edicate" is different and more lax in these things. I simply say to them because it is proper, how I was taught. Do schools no longer teach proper sentence structure, capitalization, etc, etc?
DE
Alabama
Dave,
I agree with you. I am still young - age 28 - and I have always used, near as I can, proper punctuation and capitalization in my internet communications. I was taught good language usage in school, plus Mom was an English teacher so I couldn't very well get away with being lax on syntax, spelling, or grammar.

It hurts my eyes to see anyone, particularly any native speaker and reader of English who knows better, writing everything in lower case or with ridiculous shorthand - "u" for "you, "c" for "see" et cetera. It takes a maybe a quarter or half a second longer to follow the rules, on top of this, proper language usage - at least in my estimation - makes you look polished next to the person who disregards such rules. I was raised with the idea that to write and speak coherently and effectively with proper attention paid to rules of language, was not only a virtue but a necessity of life.

Granted, I'm not perfect with how I speak or write. Slang, regionalisms, and grammatical sloppiness all creep in. My grandpa who is of the WWII generation and, though a US citizen, was also raised in Canada where even stricter attention was paid to proper usage of the (then) "King's English", still corrects me - "Don't start a sentence with a preposition"....... He did correct me as a little kid about other aspects of grammar, for instance, "John and I" rather than "John and me", and those more basic points have always stuck with me.

Just want to let you know that some of us younger people haven't forgotten the importance of language rules.

Best,
Gunnar

· Kryptonite member
5,773 Posts
Starting a sentence with a lower case letter, using "i" for "I" just show the level of the person's eduction. Here in Alabama, noted it in Colorado and Pennsylvania too, "I seen" has taken over. I know much of what we are we learned from our parents, mother was an English major. When I'd say, "Where is it at?" she would reply, "Behind the AT." (For those who are confused, you don't use "at." at the end of a sentence.)

But the schools should at least go over the common mistakes in grammer and part of the pre graduation testing would to be to select the correct sentence from several incorrectly ones. At least the doodleheaads would know what was correct whether they used correct English or not.

· Banned
1,233 Posts
hmm... while i understand the point being made about the use of the term "jap", it is much the same as the term "jew". nazi germany painted "jews get out" on the windows of Jewish business. i wonder if the Jewish people get upset about the term "jew". i know the Jewish folks i speak with dont seem to mind it. sorry if i dont capitalize my "i"s, thats more of a time saving feature when i type informally on a computer, however when writing a letter, i am sure to make them all capital letters. Doss, i know what you mean about improper use (more like the butchery) of the english language here in PA. theres nothing like ordering a piece of pie and the waitress tells you "its all". all what? (for the non-pennsylvanian crowd, that means they have no more pie)

· Kryptonite member
5,773 Posts
"i?" You can lead a horse to water.......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.