Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the fate of the k98 rifles left in Norway after the capitulation in 1945. I assume these were taken into service for Norwegian forces as there exist at least three distinct variations of locally made stripper clips for 7,92x57 ammunition. How long were these rifles used and were they in service with regular forces or were they used for training, police or militia purposes?

Many thanks in advance, Peter

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
They rechambered most of them to 30-06 from what I was told my someone living there. They are currently destroying all the K98s and have been for some time and this guy has been selling most of the parts incluing the stocks on ebay for some time now. Sucks.
BARQS19

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Somewhere around 100,000 of the captured K98k rifles, were used by the army, navy, and some Home Guard were issued the rebarreled Norwegian version, K98F1. Some were kept in the original chambering, but I believe most were rebarreled to 7.62x63 (.30-06). Not too long after WW II the Norwegian military adopted the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine and a few years after that the AG-3 became the standard issue. About the time the AG-3 was adopted some of the K98 rifles were rebarreled to 7.62 NATO and designated the K98F2.

There were also many models of hunting, target, and sniper rifles built at Kongsberg Vapenfabrikk using the K98 actions and a lot of K98k rifles ended up in civilian hands.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts