Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a Nor. Krag that was sporterized years ago, It`s in decent shape but the bore is bad. I`m thinking of rebarreling it but I have two questions. I know that it`s threaded LH and it has LH twist. I think all new barrels have RH twist, any problems with this , have any of you guys rebarreled a Nor. Krag ? Thanks in advance for any help,Paul

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well I had a Norwegian Krag that had a bad headspace issue. My gunsmith told me that the fix was to buy a new unthreaded free barrel. Yes the thread is left handed but the rifling is like all other rifles.

Drop me a line if you need more info or if you need my gunsmith's website or phone no.

·
Gold Bullet Member
82 Posts
I have an excellent shooting Norwegian Krag in 257 Roberts. I purchased it from a local gunsmith who built the rifle years ago. Years ago he had a customer come in with a newer Ruger in 257 Roberts who wanted it rebarreled to a larger caliber. The Ruger barrel was mounted on my Krag. I don't shoot the 257 Roberts +P but the normal loading does just fine and the rifle is extremely accurate.
Regards, Red Ryder

·
Registered
73 Posts
krag rebarrel

the Norse Krag has left hand 12 threads per inch tapered(not square as some books list)
at a 30 degree angle .all other measurements are in mm.refer page 28 of "the Krag Rifle
Story" by Mallory and Olson.any compitent gunsmith should be able to rebarrel it.If you
want an original barrel,check with gun parts,or samco,or sarco.etc smu

1 - 4 of 4 Posts