Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've finally found a 1894 Norwegian Krag long rifle that I am considering purchasing, but am unsure of some features on it. Since they're so uncommon, I've never handled one and even pictures aren't that plentiful so I was hoping some more knowledgeable people here could help me before I plunk down a lot of hard earned money. First off, the cleaning rod doesn't look right. All the ones I've seen (admittedly not many) have been "in the white" and feature a round hole instead of an oblong slot. Also, it looks a little too far forward to allow the bayonet to attach. Is the rear swivel missing? In all the pics I have seen, the rear sling swivel appears to look like this one, but there isn't actually a "swivel" present. Also, the finish is being described as a shellac type finish. Is that correct for this model? Any and all opinions on this rifle would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hello all, I've finally found a 1894 Norwegian Krag long rifle that I am considering purchasing, but am unsure of some features on it. Since they're so uncommon, I've never handled one and even pictures aren't that plentiful so I was hoping some more knowledgeable people here could help me before I plunk down a lot of hard earned money. First off, the cleaning rod doesn't look right. All the ones I've seen (admittedly not many) have been "in the white" and feature a round hole instead of an oblong slot. Also, it looks a little too far forward to allow the bayonet to attach. Is the rear swivel missing? In all the pics I have seen, the rear sling swivel appears to look like this one, but there isn't actually a "swivel" present. Also, the finish is being described as a shellac type finish. Is that correct for this model? Any and all opinions on this rifle would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

1- The Cleaning rod is not the correct for a Standar M/94 and is to long
2-The rear swivel is not presente because is not present in the Lang Krag. The swivel is present directly in the sling.
3-I have seen Krags with sellac finish and other with not. We must wait the Norwegians of the forum or other Collectors to have a official answer.

regards

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you gentleman for your quick responses. Two of my hunches were proven correct. About the rear sling base. I've seen up close pictures of how the sling attaches via a pin that slides through the hole in the base and locks up that way. However, in the pictures I posted, it doesn't appear as if the hole in the base goes completely through. Is it just that the angle of the picture isn't right to see it or am I missing something else? Thanks again everyone for their help!

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
There should be a hole straight through, if not it is not correct at all. I have a Gew98 with a swivel attachment like that, a swivel base with the swivel removed. I did not notice until I tried to put a "quick detach swivel" throuh it. What a bummer!

Yours looks correct, though. Could simply be clogged with dust and oil/cosmo. Can't say that for sure, though.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Seems like that the cleaning rod is a german k98 that have been "polished" a bit, and taken down a bit in the dia to fit 6.5mm (If it fits?). I've also seen both of stock finish, but believe oiled finish is the original.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
My M/1912 carbine came directly from Norway with a varnished stock.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Garandfan,

The cleaning rod is Mauser, which has been pointed out by other members. If i remember correctly the Mauser/Krag threads are the same.

The stock finish is most likely original, all my original Krags have the very same finish. Come to think of it, I can't remember having seen an oiled finish on any military Krag.

If you decide to get the rifle I may have a spare cleaning rod somewhere. Good luck, keep us posted with info & pictures if you get it!

Balder

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
The stock finish is most likely original, all my original Krags have the very same finish. Come to think of it, I can't remember having seen an oiled finish on any military Krag.
Here's mine with an oiled finish, definitely an original finish.

I'm not saying they were not also shellacked, I've seen both, but I think the oiled finish was the early and possibly "most correct" one. Though, I would not bet my life on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gentlemen,

I had to dig out Hanevik's excellent Krag book (I've just moved into a new house and most of my gun literature is still in boxes) to try to find information on stocks. On page 138 he states that initially the stocks were treated and polished with several coats of a mixture of shellac and turpentine. By 1917, WW1 had made these ingredients hard to come by so the stocks were now only oiled (page 162). After the armistice in 1918, these materials once again became available and used on the Krag stocks. However, in 1920 Kongsberg took up the practice of oiling the stocks with no polishing; saving the factory (and the customers?) a bit of money. During WW2 some stocks were only sanded and lightly oiled.

My guessing based on all this is that an M/1894 made 1894 - 1917 should have shellac/turpentine finish.

Bayonetcollector, is your stock matching your 1915 rifle? I can't see any serial number at the usual place in front of the magazine well. I hope I'm not insulting you by suggesting that your stock is not matching and from a later production date, or that it at some stage was given a new finish.

Balder

·
Gold Bullet member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for all their input, I really appreciate it. The date of manufacture of the Krag I'm considering is 1920. How hard would it be to find the appropriate cleaning rod? I imagine pretty tough and expensive. I'm still debating on this one. I know how tough they are to find, but I don't want to finally get one and then have to search up difficult and expensive small parts.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you will be paying for the rifle. If you live in the US and it's less than $1000.00. With a good bore and it has matching numbers, the price of a cleaning rod is not too important.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Balder

are you out there?

"I may have a spare cleaning rod somewhere. Good luck, keep us posted with info & pictures if you get it!"

Balder

I could use one, my wife dipped into her savings so that I could get the Krag and bayonet, of course I have to pay her back, but she is a sweetheart, so is the Krag for that matter, but it is lacking a proper cleaning rod and sling.

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thank you for the response Balder, I am in no great hurry. I waited years to own a Norwegian Krag-Jorgensen, I can wait a while for the correct cleaning rod. I have a Czech Mauser that was missing the rod, and that one which came with the Krag-J. was a perfect fit.

Bayonet Collector, thank you, however the extent of my Norwegian is a few words I picked up from my Grandmother, I was lost on the auction site.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Garandfan,
............ If i remember correctly the Mauser/Krag threads are the same.

Balder
The threads on norwegian krag and german mauser cleaning rod are not simular. The Germans have the metric M4-0.7, while the norwegian krag thread is the "old" 5/32" x 32 TPI Whitworth. This dimentions is very close as the 5/32" is diameter 3.96mm. However, the pitch on the krag is 32TPI, and that is close to 0.8mm. So, one turn on mauser cleaning rod is 0.1mm less then on a krag. (Or 1/271").

Mussonor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.