Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here I am Pettsson!

Keep your mouth closed and your tongue inside!
Please do not wet your keyboard with salivae! - if you can't avoid it, please whipe it, your wife won't like it...

As per we discussed me and Pettsson (I think it's our stomach who were talking one to the other!?) It could be fun to add some spice (virtually!) to this board by adding / exchanging our venison and wild harvest recipes here!

Let me start first with a little drink;

A (very) old Traditional recipe, coming from France from my Normans ancestors;

Before hunting, early spring (actually, in spring I'm hunting bear..).

Dandelion Wine!

1 - Early in the morning, before the sun reaches too high, harvest as fast as possible. Then keep only the petals (do it fast, it fades rapidly!) - remove every green part! only keep yellow petals. Do it in the shade! Try doing it early in the morning.

Ingredients;
White wine yeast
2 l of flowers (can be others, too - very good with clover flowers)
3 lemons - thin slices
2 oranges - thin slices
375 ml of dried raisins, cut in small pieces (california raison is V.G.)
1.1 l of sugar (maple sirup, honey etc. but adjust to sweeten enough) - can be adjusted for stronger wine, sweeter etc.
150 ml of strong green tea (or 2 ml of dried tannin)
2 l of hot water
1 l of cold water

2 - Put the petals, fruits, sugar, tea (ot tannin) in a plastic fermentation bucket. Drop hot water and shake well to dissolve the sugar, then add cold water

3 - Let the mix cool down to 25 Deg. Cor less and then add the yeast and mix well (already started), then cover the bucket (don't seal it hermitically) - covering can be done with a piece of cotton, saran wrap type plastic etc.

4 - Mix the liquid 1 or 2 times a day and break the top crust (drown it). Do it for 3 days.

5 - After 4 days, siphon the liquid into 4 l jars. Be careful when piercing the crust, so you don't suck in any solids. Filter the remains to extract the rest of the juice.

6 - Wait for three months; if the fermentation is stopped (no-more little bubbles), siphon the wine into new clean jars fill up the space with water and then rest for 6 months. After 6 months, you can bottle it.

I suggest that you leave it for aging at least 1 to 3 years. The longer, the better.

I try to find out what they were using instead of sugar (quite sure it was honey and / or maple sirup) and citrus in the old days.... When i'll find out , i'll post it.

Wild Mint Liquor (kinda Shnapps)

i use to pick up a forgotten wild variety of mint; Mentha Canadiensis, wich grows on the side of turbulent rivers, on high water level shore. It tastes alot like Peppermint, but is different. Anyways, all kind of dried mint, especially peppermint will work.

Ingredients

250 ml of ground dried mint (I harvest the mint while flowering; it gives it a "sweety" taste)
500 ml of 40% alcool
50 ml of sugar
100 ml of water

1 - Put the mint in a bowl, add the alcool to it and leave it to rest for 1/2 day to 1 - 2 days.

2 - In a pan, bring the water and sugar mixture to the boiling point and leave it for cooling

3 - Using a cofee filter (a Ikea Budum works great if the mint is not ground to much too small - and there is less loss than with a paper filter) separate the alcool from the leaves. You can repeat the extraction process a couple of time, if needed.

4 - In a (big enough) bottle, drop the sirup (water+sugar mix) and then add the alcool/mint extract mixture

5 - Leave it to rest for at least 1 month. The alccol taste will fade a bit, leaving room for the mint flavour.

If you need it more sweety, add honey, maple sirup, of same sirup as above. If you like less strong, add water (you can add this water to the alcool at step 1)

Note; the liquor is kind of golden, some add green (1 to 2 drops) food cololrant in it, but I like the way it is.

Next will be wild meat!

I told you I was to do it!

I'll be back with some more stuff... Pettsson, you promised to give us one of your buttery cake recipe!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quail - Texas Style

Quail season will arrive soon in Texas - so I'm including my favorite Quail on the Barbie recipe. It isn't fancy, but....

1. Beg, borrow or steal some great hunting dogs, gather a few good friends, get your best gun, drink some aiming fluid (depends of how cool it is in the morning, pick your own poison) for luck, then go shoot a bunch of little birds.
2. Have someone else clean the birds...wives are known to do this, but usually require some expensive gift for their labor. I pay the hired help at the hunting camp...much cheaper.
3. Insert a strip of onion, and a strip of jalapena pepper (no seeds) in the little birds and wrap a nice piece of bacon around the whole bird - secure with a toothpick or two.
4. Marinate in a cheap "Italian" salad dressing for an hour or so - chilled, of course.
5. Build a nice charcoal fire (mesquite charcoal is best), but anything will do.
6. Place the little darlings on the grill until they look done - black is too done, grey needs a little more work!
7. Pour beer for your friends and toast your manly hunting skills and complain about the one missed shot you had...stupid birds!!!
8. If you can still find some, corn on the cob is an excellent side dish.
9. Sit back, relax and enjoy!!!

In Texas, we love those Quail on the Barbie!!!!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The dog, I have, the bird too... The beer and wine, think I can fix that easy... Friend? depends on how hungry they are!
Now, I will miss the oignons, a little garlic, some butter or olive oil in the pan...
After roasting the grouse chests, with the oignons, adding a little white wine and vegetables plus some secret herbs, i'll leave it to simmer for some time....
Then, I'll add to the dish some wild rice, more vegetables....
And while doing that and drinking wine and /or beer, the friendly dog will stand besides me.... knowing it's not for him, unfortunately!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts